• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

vehicle mounted gun holsters

davids78bronco

Does anyone carry? I'm about to start but don't want to have my handgun tucked in my waistband for hours at a time that I drive in my truck. So I'm looking to see if anyone has a vehicle mounted gun holster. I'm asking because I don't have the floor-mounted center console, so that makes mounting a bit more difficult

They make some that are mounted to the steering column which I have heard are pretty good. 

Remember, if you are CCW, in some states if you have a gun in a glove box or center console, even if it is locked, all passengers must have CCW's license as well, check with you local state patrol/DPS. 

Depending on which year Avy you have there are plenty of options...

First Generation
grassburr_holster_truck.jpg

06_tahoe.jpg

Second Generation

holster-in-truck21.jpg

07Avalanche.jpg

And my personal favorite for an in car gun holster

perfect-holster.jpg

For vehicle specific mounts check out Gum Creek

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/chevy-photos-26.html

PLEASE reconsider where you store your handgun. The most secure way to carry is to have it on you and maybe getting a good holster and carring it in an IWB holster with maybe a slightly larger pair of pants and belt will make it more comfortable. You need to get your body accustomed to carry a weapon and in a way build up to longer carry. If necessary it is more comfortable to carry outside the belt but you need a good jacket/vest to cover it all up. Also please don't consider an ankle holster or in the front pocket. (Just sit in your vehicle and try to take a large item out of your pocket in a hurry or to reach your ankle.)
Semi-autos are less irritating to the body then a revolver to conceal. Look for a weapon with few rough edges.
Some of the vehicle holsters can cause the same problems, you can't reach them in a hurry under stress especially without telegraphing your intentions.
With unlocked vehicle gun storage you run the risk of forgeting the weapon is there and making it available for thieves or anyone else who gains access to your vehicle including children. Even if you are just getting gas or running into a store for just a minute.
Then you run the risk of alarming the public if you are frequently holstering and re-holstering the weapon from a vehicle holster to a personal one.
If you must remove your weapon and give up control then consider a gun vault to secure your weapon. I know you don't have a center console but I think they make models that fit in the fold down seat or a box and cable setup for under your seat may work for comfort and security.    http://www.consolevault.com/

Douglasoak, I have a couple issues with those mounts. One, I don't like it mounted directly beneath the wheel. I don't want to take a chance on getting tangled up in the wheel when I need it. And i don't have a center console on the floor. However, since starting this thread, I have found what I believe to be the answer I was lookong for - http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/lofiversion/index.php?t17989.html

Second concern is finding a vault I'm comfortable using, and where to put/install it

Not sure where you live, but in Texas, these steering column holsters are considered illegal, as the weapon is not concealed. If you were pulled over here, you would be in trouble, even if you don't have a CHL. The Kingston holsters might provide a little more concealment if you are driving and using it, but to me it would be too close to your legs and might interfere with driving:
http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-HOLSTER-OR-ACCESSORY/OTHER-CONCEALMENT-HOLSTERS/Kingston-Car-Seat-Holster

The SafePacker is thin and fit between the seat:
http://www.thewilderness.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

The SeatBuddy is also on the side of the seat, but again, might have a problem if your state car carry laws require concealment:
http://www.securityprousa.com/vesehocarseh.html

I would second the idea that you revisit the size of your pants and the method of current carry. I forked out for a Crossbreed Supertuck holster, which I sue to carry a Glock 19. SUPER comfortable, even when driving.

Another thing to consider is that you are more likely to get in an accident than a shootout. The bottom of the dash is curved and padded for a reason. Your knees will be hitting that area. Do you want to risk hitting your knees with a gun at 60 mph? Or even worse taking a hit to the crotch with the gun if it comes loose on impact?

From Oregon Firearms Federation website's FAQ page -

Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms ?in public places? which, oddly enough, includes your car.If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or ?not readily accessible.? That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don?t, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.

So, I either find a way to mount it high on the dash, or find a gun vault I would be comfortable using. I can see I'm still going to have questions to ask about carrying. Although I do see the likelihood of using the gun vault anyway, because of the possibility of an accident

The idea of leaving a visible weapon in a vehicle mount is not an option........when I lived in MD about 25 years ago, the County police carried shotguns in view in front passenger side vehicle mounts.....that is until they started breaking into and stealing them from the Police cruisers.

Even assuming one is not going to leave the weapon in the holster when the car is unattended...............the sight of an empty holster either encourages someone to break into the vehicle to check under the seats or glove box.........or worse, for some scumbags to watch the vehicle to identify the owner, maybe even disable the vehicle, then target and blindside the owner to steal the weapon. And, if one is targeted in a way that sets off the driver's airbag......they're not getting to that vehicle mounted holster anyway.

If you have a CCW license you should carry the weapon concealed and on your person. Nowadays there are plenty of sub compact pistols and small frame revolvers that are not only small and lightweight, but in decent size calibers (.380, .38, 9mm) for self defense..........small enough to conceal in a shirt pocket or unobtrusive shoulder holster instead of stuffing it in your pants waistband. Besides if one is observed taking the weapon out of the car holster even to transfer to a body holster they could be setting themselves up for a charge of brandishing a weapon.......then maybe no more problem.....no more CCW permit.

Just got the answer to my question. Once I'm licensed, I can do whatever I want. So that dash mounted holster in the zr2usa link is going in my truck. Then, when I feel less secure about where I am, I'll transfer to my shoulder holster. 

mine isn't for hand guns but i have the ducks unlimited rifle/shotgun rack that spans between the front buckets it works awesome.... only downside is when there is a gun in there the front seats cant be positioned very different

I have mine in between the drivers seat and the console{have Velcro to hold holster for draw} ...I do not leave it there to be seen by gawkers when I leave the truck...I put it on me when I leave or if going to someplace that does not permit firearms I put it in the center console under the disc tray.....our state only has 600 thou people and most carry or have weapons so there's not a lot of theft or robbery's like other states..at home I have handgun by the front entry and the bathroom and bedroom...now im not scared just prepared. More thugs moving in from the job boom...every business has employees needed signs from one end on the state to the other..jeff

I like the center console mounted floor option. Im going to look into that. Here in Georgia I openly carry mine on me, when im in florida i just have my shirt cover it, there isnt many times if dont have it on me. For long trips it does get a little bothersome to have it on my hip while seated for 5+ hours.

I was also looking into something like this, a magnet mount.

tn_480_car.jpg.jpg

tay0016, I like that you included an EDC knife. Nice

Since askng this question, I've found inspiration on another Chevy site. This is what I've come up with. Holds my Taurus very secure

20130630_081344_zps84242713.jpg

Glad you are happy with your choice. I hope none of the negative things I mentioned above happen to you or anyone who use these off the person methods.
I still believe that on the person is best then a secure box like a Console Vault is second best method to secure a weapon.
Just my .02 but that is backed up by 35+ years daily experience.

I just keep my hand gun stuck in the console right next to the cup holder. But here is where I keep my long guns

Attachments

• 2014-01-05 11.24.21_reduced.jpg
    2014-01-05 11.24.21_reduced.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 548
Vaeagleav said:
Glad you are happy with your choice. I hope none of the negative things I mentioned above happen to you or anyone who use these off the person methods.
I still believe that on the person is best then a secure box like a Console Vault is second best method to secure a weapon.
Just my .02 but that is backed up by 35+ years daily experience.

Agreed.

Gentlemen, you carry guns should stay on your body in a good holster.

I know it is uncomfortable, I know you think you have better access to your weapon if mounted, but there are far greater reasons to keep it on your person.

I am a disabled police officer.  I will tell you,  you are MUCH better having the weapon on you,  find a comfortable carry holster/weapon combo to achieve this.  Hang the weapon attached to the consol leaves mass room for error,  non accessible,  and possible miscommunication on a stop.  I know if stopped a car and walked up to the window, the first thing I would notice is that weapon, and with it being by the steering wheel, where are your hands? ....too close to that weapon for comfort! Just some food for thought. 

Bassman Z71 said:
Maybe they have both, one in the truck holster, one on the person?

You would still have the problems that I have mentioned above in my other posts in addition to now having two deadly weapons in two locations that the owner would have to keep under his control at all times. That also doesn't solve the problem that the original poster started the thread about. Those who choose to carry a weapon need to accept that there is a break in period to get used to carrying and there may be some small downsides as well as the piece of mind in having a way to protect themselves and others.

I don't know what I'm really talking about. Where I live we can't carry guns for the most part. Although, I like looking at the pix from our American neighbours. I'll just lurk on this topic in the future.  :rolleyes:

09chevyavy said:
I keep my 12 gauge semi auto under the back seat loaded with 3 inch 2 shot and have a box of shells there with it
I thought you said your a junior...... im scared to carry my 3'' folding knife to school and a zippo

I keep a cheap Rossi .357 mag with some very hot rounds in my truck locked up at all times. I keep it in the vault in an Uncle Mikes holster. When I drive, I pull it out and tuck it into passenger seat gap:

I keep the vault open when I am in the vehicle so I can quickly put it up when needed (traffic stop). This way it is easily accessible and not visible to those peeking in when I am not in the truck. .357 is a crude beast that can take down with 1 shot, but isn't real fun to shot like my other gun...

I also have a Glock 19 with a Crimson Trace I like to have for snakes when fishin' and general home defense. With the Bullydog extra mag holster - it wont fit easily as it is too big:

But it will fit in the uncle mikes:

Here is a victim I hit under a rock about 7 yards away. Red dot on target and squeeze...

Had the kids put down the video games and poke it with a stick as all kids should. For my CCW - my LCP .380 (with the crimson trace) can stay in my shorts pocket all the time..

Back