• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tornado air fuel saver adds HP and save gas

BigNickDawg

:B: This is my 1st post. I just bought an 02 avalanche. I just ordered a "Tornado Air Fuel Saver" it can add HP and help save gas. Has anyone used thsi before? It $40 on e-bay

BigNickDawg said:
:B: This is my 1st post. I just bought an 02 avalanche. I just ordered a "Tornado Air Fuel Saver" it can add HP and help save gas. Has anyone used thsi before? It $40 on e-bay

Can you cancel your order?

You should always ask first! Not only does this item not work it actually may cause damage and will void the factory warranty as far as i know that's what my dealer told me. :eek:

welcome to the club. congrats on your purchase. if there is anything you want to know about a product for the AV be sure to ask the many members we have here first.
we call stuff like the tornado device "Snake Oil".

BigNickDawg said:
Define: snake oil? I'm lost. and How do I get a fan club decal for the NE?

sorry. it is just a term used to describe a product that claims to do so much, but actually does nothing. except get someone rich. not you of course. :)

Wife bought one for her 99 5.7L Suburban. I put it on. She asked me to take it off. Any questions?

Welcome to the club and congrats! You'll love your '02 Avalanche and you made a wise decision in a used vehicle. Now for the bad news, the "Tornado Fuel Saver" is pure 100% snake oil. Junk, doesn't do what it says, a waste of money, ain't happening, zero benefit, get your money back, thank you for playing, refuse delivery.

If you want to squeeze extra MPG out of your Avalanche there is only one way to do it and get measurable, guaranteed results:

1) By quality gas. Gasoline with 10% ethanol content is going to hurt your MPG.

2) Go with synthetic oil instead of dino oil. You can get a small, but measurable increase in MPG with the change that adds up over the miles.

3) Drive on the highway at 60 MPH. The Avalanche looses about 1/2 to 1 MPG for every 5 MPH you add over 60 MPH, depending on road and traffic conditions hitting a basement of around 15 MPG highway.

4) Use rolling momentum. Take your time and brake long, that way if the traffic is moving again you don't need as much whopf to get back up to speed.

5) Nice steady starts. Don't mash the pedal, actually considering WOT is only about 85% of capacity and torque control will rob you of acceleration standing on the gas pedal just makes noise and burns gas. Smooth acceleration is rewarded with more grumpf off the line for less MPG.

6) At highway speed run windows closed, back window in place, etc. etc. etc. I've found over the summer that having everything opened up cuts around 3/4 MPG of of the Avalanche.

7) Properly inflated and rotated tires. Common sense but if you reduce rolling resistance you get better MPG.

That's about it. You can expect anywhere from 11 to 14 city and 16 to 20 highway depending on a ton of factors to long to list here. Me personally, I get "textbook" mileage out of my Avalanche, around 12.75 to 13.25 city, 15 to 15.5 combined, and 17 to 18 highway.

BigNickDawg said:

If you are interested in better gas mileage, put in a K&N or Fram Airhog air filter and change your oil to Mobil One Synthetic!!

As I have stated in another thread, I am a firm believer in Slick 50. I use it in ALL of my vehicles and my Bass Boat. If the oil pump ever goes, you still have some protection!!

Chief said:
6) At highway speed run windows closed, back window in place, etc. etc. etc. I've found over the summer that having everything opened up cuts around 3/4 MPG of of the Avalanche.

7) Properly inflated and rotated tires. Common sense but if you reduce rolling resistance you get better MPG.

I agree with Chief on #7. I keep mine air up within 4# of max. Too much air will give you a rougher ride and cause premature wear in the center of the tire. Too little and you wear the outside and lose MPG, but you do get a nice soft ride.

As far as the windows, I run with AC off and sun roof open if the temps are below 78. Otherwise, I run AC in auto position at 76 degrees and it keeps it quite comfortable even when the outside temp is 85 or higher!

BTW, if you are towing anything in the hills, use the Tow/Haul feature located on the shift lever. On flat runs, I don't bother once I am on the road, just use it in town to get it rolling!

Back