• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Installing Mirror Covers 2007+ ...a how to pictorial

Samsquanch

Well I've had my 2010 LS and already can't stop adding things to it.  My latest addition are the GM factory chrome mirror tops.  I elected to install them myself because it appeared simple enough... that is until I attempted the whole process.  Hopefully somebody here finds this document useful because it was tricky and could save you from damaging your new mirror tops during installation.  Alternatively you could just buy the cheap chrome stick-ons... but the end result isn't as seamless, and the quality usually isn't at par with OEM factory parts.

Document should apply to 2007-2010 models and likely other GMT900 platformed vehicles.

So lets get started!

Boring mirror tops! (n)
1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-01.jpg

1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-02.jpg

Ooo shiny! :cool:
I picked these up at the local GM dealer for $124.00 CAD after taxes.  Both mirror tops and vague GM install instructions are included in the box
1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-03.jpg

Pay attention to these clips because you don't want to snap them off by accident during the install
1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-04.jpg

Tools of the trade (You might not elect to use all of them)
Painters masking tape, stainless steel spudger, a square of cardboard and a couple small flat drivers
1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-05.jpg

Step 1)
I suggest masking the entire bottom of the mirror where the edges meet to prevent chewing it up while moving the spudger across it.

Step 2)
I started at the end furthest from the door. I gradually slipped the end of the spudger into the underside and begin moving it in a very gentle twisting motion at the same time moving it gradually towards the vehicle side.  When I came to a clipped area of which there are 3 if you can imagine where they are (use your new mirror tops as a reference point) I gave it bit more of a twisting and prying motion until you can feel it release (you'll hear a snapping sound).  You'll begin to see the mirror top separate from the mirror face.  If you noticed I wedged a piece of cardboard under the spudger as well as I moved it back and forth.  This kept the spudger from making contact with the mirror housing to prevent damage. It also acted as a wedge to keep the mirror top separated.

1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-06.jpg

Step 3)
You want to use either your fingers or small flat blade screw driver to aid the separation of the mirror top from the mirror face.  I chose to use my fingers and gave it a bit of a pulling and slight rocking motion until it started to release even more.  Now unfortunately I don't think there is even a way you can remove these tops without snapping off the supporting clips. If you were hoping to save the original tops for another project you might be out of luck.  Anybody who manages to remove the tops unscathed gets 100 points!  The snapping sound you hear during removal is likely one or 2 of the 3 clips breaking off.

Here is what the mirror looks like minus the top.  Those 3 arrows show where the clips hold the mirror cover to the mirror housing.
1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-07.jpg

Step 4)
Installing the covers is also a tad bit tricky because if you make the wrong move it could cost a chunk of change because there really isn't another way to hold these things on.  When installing them look underneath to ensure all 3 clips are aligned in the holes.  I supported the mirror on each side with my left and right hand and slowly pushed it on until the clips clicked in checking to ensure that I wasn't about to snap one off.  After the mirror was mostly in, go around it and use your palm and go around all the edges to ensure that its fully locked in place and that there are no gaps showing.  Give it a nice polish with a microfiber cloth and you've done it!  I spent over 30 minutes using different tools, poking around trying to find a way to pull it off only to realize it was a lot simpler than that.  But you need to be careful.  After that ordeal the passenger side mirror went on in less than 5 minutes.

End result ...lookin goooood!
1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-08.jpg

From Boring :( to Ballin' :cool:
1K_AV2010-Mirror_Install-09.jpg

I even scanned the official GM install instructions for reference.  If purchased from a dealer you will receive this multi-language document.
http://www.dmt07.com/_docs/GM_ACC-88967579.jpg

Happy modding! :B:

- Jonny

sweet! this helps alot, since I've got a set of folding mirrors with chrome covers I've been meaning to swap on, but I wanted to keep my body colored covers... is there no sticky tape on the top edge? I'm thinking with a long and skinny enough screwdriver, you could move the tabs up enough to clear the lip...

The only thing that ultimately seems to hold these on is the 3 bottom clips.  There is a series of about 4 smaller clips on the top to secure it further which aren't prone to breaking.  There was no adhesive holding the covers on.  I just absolutely could not find a way to release the bottom clips without snapping off a couple of them.  I tried to save the clips during the process, but no matter what angle I came at it didn't seem to be possible to fit a small flat driver in there at any angle to release them properly.  Not saying its impossible, it's just likely I haven't discovered the magical method.  Because it would be a shame swapping off your 2 pairs of tops only to destroy both of them in the end.  Perhaps somebody else here who has successfully removed the covers with the clips in tact could chime in.

I like the mirrored chrome mine is a dull color. The top of my mirror cover doesn't set tight against the mirror, can you post a picture of the top clips?

Thanks Lorne

Samsquanch said:
The only thing that ultimately seems to hold these on is the 3 bottom clips.  There is a series of about 4 smaller clips on the top to secure it further which aren't prone to breaking.  There was no adhesive holding the covers on.  I just absolutely could not find a way to release the bottom clips without snapping off a couple of them.  I tried to save the clips during the process, but no matter what angle I came at it didn't seem to be possible to fit a small flat driver in there at any angle to release them properly.  Not saying its impossible, it's just likely I haven't discovered the magical method.  Because it would be a shame swapping off your 2 pairs of tops only to destroy both of them in the end.  Perhaps somebody else here who has successfully removed the covers with the clips in tact could chime in.

Forget the manufacturer instructions.......There's an excellent video on Youtube on how to remove them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c99YPqIeJQ

I did this when it was over 75 F outside to reduce the chances of snapping the clips. Removed the stock covers without breaking any of the clips....all done, both sides in under 15 minutes....most of the time was masking the grained portions of the mirrors, but if you use a plastic wedge like I did instead of a metal one that is not even necessary. Seems the trick is to get the outer edge separated a little and the outer clip pops right out, but the next step is to start to separate the mirror at the top seam to take tension off the lower clips..once half zipped across the top, the middle clip releases with little a little wiggling and effort. Then there is that pain in the ass inner clip which gave me a hard time on the first one because I was afraid of snapping it. But, once you have the outer and middle clip released, go back to the top and separate almost all to all of the top seam, then instead of prying up the mirror top, lift a little bit, wiggle it gently while sliding it straight back and the inner will release. Using this trick the second top came off in less than two minutes. All six factory tabs are intact so I can replace the body colored mirrors at a future date if desired.

Once off, the replacement top is placed against the frame and slid backward to engage the tabs, a slight rap with the palm was necessary to seat the top seam properly.

Attachments

• DSCN0799.jpg
    DSCN0799.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN0800.jpg
    DSCN0800.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 161
Back