• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

towing capacity

stady

Hi Everyone:

I am driving a 06 AV with a 4:10 . We just bought  a TT with a dry weight of 6504 lbs. We are getting the stablizer bars ect.. installed. Has anyone had any concerns running the max of towing capacity?

The towing capacity is 8000lbs so with a loaded unit we will be close

My $0.02...fwiw

That's a lot of hauling.  I know others will chime in who do it all the time, but I think the 8000# rating is really stretching it.  I tow my J-D tractor on a 12' trailer (total weight about 7,000#) for a short distance and it can be a workout.

But two things for sure....(1) get a LARGE auxillary tranny cooler (15K-18K btu rated) and (2) a extra capacity tranny fluid pan made by B&M or others.  This deeper pans hold 3 or more quarts of tranny fluid.

If you're going to tow heavy stuff at the limits, at least protect your tranny.

Also, hope you have electric brakes on the TT.....that's a must!

Be safe...have fun!

Thanks ,I know its going to be tight. My AV  is a lease that goes back next july then I am going to the 2500 AV. So i was ok going bigger on the trailer and a little harder on the truck. Only for a year though.

What do those extras cost?

Depends on if you DIY or pay someone.  The cooler and extra capacity pan are together about $400-500.  I'm sure it's double that easily to have someone do it.  But, that's cheaper than a tranny rebuild.....that is, if its not in warranty.

On the 2500....they haven't been made in a couple of years and are scarce as "hens' teeth".  Check the board, I know farmguy had posted one that was on a dealer's lot a week ago somewhere in the DFW area.

Rocky07 said:
Depends on if you DIY or pay someone.  The cooler and extra capacity pan are together about $400-500.  I'm sure it's double that easily to have someone do it.  But, that's cheaper than a tranny rebuild.....that is, if its not in warranty.

On the 2500....they haven't been made in a couple of years and are scarce as "hens' teeth".  Check the board, I know farmguy had posted one that was on a dealer's lot a week ago somewhere in the DFW area.
GreatWhite496's is available

MooseAlanche said:
:welcome: to the club stady
Rocky07 gave some excellent advice IMHO.

Welcome also and ditto. Don't forget to subtract the cargo and folks in the Av from the tow rating. Makes it even closer ....

How do you find out what gears you have? Is it in the VIN?

stady said:
Hi Everyone:

I am driving a 06 AV with a 4:10 . We just bought  a TT with a dry weight of 6504 lbs. We are getting the stablizer bars ect.. installed. Has anyone had any concerns running the max of towing capacity?

I tow mine that was at 7000#'s loaded and it seemed to tow real good.

stady said:
Hi Everyone:

MRamsden said:
How do you find out what gears you have? Is it in the VIN?
there's a sticker in the glove box with a bunch of codes

GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10
GU6 = 3.42
G80    means you have a locker

I have a jayco 4950 lbs unloaded.  My truck mods are exhaust, headers intake, custom tune and tranny cooler.  Also amsoil diff and transfer case fluids.  I keep it in 3rd and it will do ok.  If I run 75 it will down shift to 2nd to go up some hills but if I keep it at 65 it will stay in 3rd and I get about 9+ mpg.  Also I have a sweet blue ox sway pro and air bags in the rear coils so never have any trouble with control.  I have the 3.73's too.  Thought about a blower but 6 grand for something I pull 8 or so times a year is a lot.

Same problem /question here...

I am driving an '04 AV 1500 Z71 with a 3:73 rear end.

I just bought  a 32' TT with a dry weight of 7400 lbs. !!!
I am getting the stabilizer bars and elec. brake box installed.

Has anyone had any concerns (or should i be) running the max of towing capacity?
I'm not going far usually under 300 - 400 miles.

thanks much
Jim

Attachments

• 100_0650.JPG
    100_0650.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 571
IMO that is weigh too much.  Look at the angle in the pic, needs to be straight.  Better have some air bags in the rear, and excellent sway control/weight distribution.  Also may want the putnam hitch.  Factory isn't that strong for that much weight.  I just added a magnacharger and will tow with that thursday, then a long trip on memorial day.  I will know if it is worth it then.  Hope the kinks are worked out first.  But you definitely need some more torque for that.  Good luck and take your time.

By the time you put your stuff, a little water, 60lbs of propane, and all the stuff including you and your passengers in your AV you will be way over your GVWR. I don't mean to alarm but I would have to say that set up is getting to be dangerously over weight. I can't tell from the pic if you are using any form of weight distribution. I hope so because your hitch weight will be about 500lbs max and I bet that trailer with the bumpout in the front probably weights around 700-800lbs hitch weight. My dad pulls a trailer weighing 7500lbs empty with his 2500 AV and with our mountains and hills he feels he is at or slightly beyond the comfortable limits with his rig.

I would really think about a larger truck or a smaller RV.

-UtahAV
-Mark

I was afraid of that, I didn't have a distribution hitch i only towed it 8 miles to my property.

thanks guys.

I was thinking of getting the ...

Equal-i-zer 4 Point Sway Control Hitch 12000GVW/1200TW
by Equalizer

Product Description

,200 lb. Tongue Weight, 12,000 lb. Trailer Weight. Prevent sway before it starts! Unique design combines weight distribution with 4 point sway control in one easy to use unit. Four friction points in the hitch work together to eliminate trailer sway and give you a safer, more comfortable ride. Easier to use and more effective than chain style hitches with add-on friction sway control systems. No turning, backing or weather restrictions. Fits any 2" square receiver hitch and works with virtually any trailer, even with surge brakes. Includes hitch head, hitch shank, spring arms, hardware, and sway control brackets. 1 per box.

Prime Power said:
IMO that is weigh too much.  Look at the angle in the pic, needs to be straight.  Better have some air bags in the rear, and excellent sway control/weight distribution.  Also may want the putnam hitch.  Factory isn't that strong for that much weight.  I just added a magnacharger and will tow with that thursday, then a long trip on memorial day.  I will know if it is worth it then.  Hope the kinks are worked out first.  But you definitely need some more torque for that.  Good luck and take your time.

That is good advise.

Be very very careful towing that much weight if you are planning on doing it with the current Av. I am certainly not saying it is OK to tow it but I most certainly would not tow that trailer up/down any mountains. That would most certainly cause damage to your vehicle. I would also invest in a device to check out your actual tongue weight. With that long of a trailer if your loaded too much stuff in the front of the trailer your tongue weight would far exceed the capacity of the hitch and truck frame for that matter even with a good weight distributing hitch.

I ran my trailer and rig on a scale at work the other day fully loaded everything possible we allways take and even loaded the water for the weight check and I was at 14,000lbs. even

MRamsden said:
I ran my trailer and rig on a scale at work the other day fully loaded everything possible we allways take and even loaded the water for the weight check and I was at 14,000lbs. even

:eek: That is certainly pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton Av.

Yes I know :)

I go camping all over around here, mostly under 70 miles and there aren't any major hills to go over to get to any of them.  Mostly flat roads.  I have yet to put my foot through the floor to get anywhere LOL

4rvfun said:
Ditto that!

I have an '02 1500 4WD w/ 5.3L.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the chassis on the 2500 and 1500 were the same.  Couldn't the suspension be upgraded with airbags so that the back end wouldn't sag and be comparable to the 2500?  Or is there more involved than that? ???

Back