• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Region V Wild West 2008 Saturday Crater Lake Cruise-UPDATED 6-1-08

heine12oz

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
This will be the big cruise for all of us.  Lots of photo ops, lots of cool place to stop and see.  Crater Lake has a 33 mile road that goes around the entire rim of the crater. 

General Itinerary-
6-8am- Breakfast (on your own)
8-9am- Finish preping for cruise (assemble in the parking lot of the Red Lion hotel)
9-1015am- Arrive Steel visitor center- Park HQ (1 h 14 mins 59.68 miles), get maps, see park stuff, depart 1045am
1045-1115am- Arrive at Cloudcap Overlook- 2nd photo opt, first view of lake (32 mins, 12.53 miles) depart 1130am
1130-1215pm Arrive at The Watchman Overlook. Highest point in park (37 mins, 14.44 miles)
1215-1245pm- Lunch at Watchman.  (Bring your own food to prepare) Rest for lunch depart 1245pm 

Note: if you want to eat at the lodge and not make your own, here is a copy of the menu.  Its only 7 miles from here. 
menu for Crater Lake Lodge
Dining room

Rim Village Caf? and Gift Shop
Annie Creek Restaurant & Gift Shop

1245-115pm- Arrive Rim Village (17 mins, 7.09 miles) depart Rim Village 2pm
2pm-330pm- Drive back to Red Lion (1 h 14 mins 59.68 miles)

We will depart from Red Lion after breakfast, head up to the lake, cruise around, stop for lunch, stop at the visitor center, enjoy the experience of a lake and area that was created by a volcanic eruption, finish cruise, head back to hotel for Saturday night festivities.

Crater Lake Website

FAQ's about the lake and the what you will experience.  If you haven't seen this area before, it will blow you away.  It is one of the most mesmerizing locations in the continental US.

Awesome location been there a few times..  Unfornately the snow wasnt cleared all the way around while there the times I was there.. 

from the looks of the crater cam today, it may not be when we go either.  Sorry Aussie (n)

The parking lot has about 12 feet still in it. Crazy!!

Looking forward to this part of the GTG... (y) (y)

Yep, Crater Lake Rim Drive opens only when the snow has cleared enough.  Usually, that's about mid-June - we'll be there at the end of June so lets hope the snow clears fast!  There sure is allot of it still.  (Had to postpone my trip down to Klamath Falls because they still had too much snow in the Parking Lot.)

heine12oz said:
from the looks of the crater cam today, it may not be when we go either.  Sorry Aussie (n)

The parking lot has about 12 feet still in it. Crazy!!

Are you kidding me ?????? Listen I am a demanding person and I demand there be no snow !! Man I hate that stuff I mean seriously hate it and if it is on the road I am not going to do well. I am afraid of it . That must be one of the only fears I really have is driving or riding in snow and would hate to get up there and sit in a motel !!! :needhug:

Aussie Red said:
Are you kidding me ?????? Listen I am a demanding person and I demand there be no snow !! Man I hate that stuff I mean seriously hate it and if it is on the road I am not going to do well. I am afraid of it . That must be one of the only fears I really have is driving or riding in snow and would hate to get up there and sit in a motel !!! :needhug:
maybe someone can rig up a flamethrower mod for you Aussie  >:D

No there is going to be no bad ju ju on this run !! I demand no snow on the roads and that is how it is going to be !! Now if it is on the side of the road no problem .

Aussie Red said:
No there is going to be no bad ju ju on this run !! I demand no snow on the roads and that is how it is going to be !! Now if it is on the side of the road no problem .

Here...this is really special...

You have to appreciate the sincerity when a "flying monkey" breaks out his Jamaican VooDoo JuJu Avatar... :rolleyes:

He has been instructed...noo snoow on da road monn

Pray for good Karma  (y)

Attachments

• Voodoo ju ju.jpg.gif
    Voodoo ju ju.jpg.gif
    78 KB · Views: 77
:laugh: Yea and let's hope that voodoo ju ju man works. I am not going to be a happy camper coming all that way not to go on a run lol. Trust me I will go just be white knuckled run but i will go. 

Aussie Red said:
:laugh: Yea and let's hope that voodoo ju ju man works. I am not going to be a happy camper coming all that way not to go on a run lol. Trust me I will go just be white knuckled run but i will go. 

If it doesn't...

there will be some relaxing "spirits" of a different kind when we get back... ;)

Aussie Red said:
Snow report ????????????

It will be gorgeous when we go.  There is snow now, but it should be gone when we get there.  Roads will be dry, maybe some residual stuff in the hills, but we should be all good. 

Just kick 'er into 4 By, what's 12 feet of snow with a truck like yours Aussie Red!!  :laugh:

:laugh: Easy for you to say lol. I just really hate that stuff ! Besides from the looks of those roads it is going to get my truck dirty !  :needhug:
I am looking in my closets and lol I really don't have warm clothes since I moved out of Salt Lake City. I tossed them out lol. Ah just will have to have more octoshots that night  :laugh:

I heard at work today some folks lost the camp site resevations cause the snow has not melted in time for the 3-day weekend.

Bummer!  :(

Well, I just looked at the crater cam.  Quite a bit of snow has melted, but there is still LOTS more to go.  Now instead of 12 ft of snow, they only have 6'!

Good it appears to be melting still. It has 23 days to disappear and dry the roads !!  I saw by google earth the way we are getting there is there snow from Klamath Falls up ?? 

Yep, raining now so that should help wash some of the snow away.  Watch the Crater Cam in my post a few posts up.  Updated every 15 mins.

I have a feeling that we will be SEEING lots of snow.  However, we won't have to drive thru it, and baring a rain storm, it should be mostly dry.

And Heine, thanks for the update on Saturday - CRUISE LOOKS GREAT!!  I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.

Snow level dropped to 4000 feet today. That mean's Crater Lake will have 4 - 6 inches of new snow.  :beating:

We also set a new record today of the coldest June 09 day in Washington since 1874.  :cry:

Z66Modder said:
Snow level dropped to 4000 feet today. That mean's Crater Lake will have 4 - 6 inches of new snow.  :beating:

We also set a new record today of the coldest June 09 day in Washington since 1874.  :cry:
I will gladly send you our heat  ;)

Back