• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Climate Control stuck on defost

ohiobellboy

SM 2008
SM 2007
after posting in a few places and receiving the help available (thanks mods for the suggestions) I think I need a diagram of the blower housing unit so I can start taking the dash apart to see If I might of jammed the mechanism or see why it's stuck on defrost mode. I couldn't find a diagram so I'm asking for anyone to post a pix of one.
Mine's an 04 with the dual zone climate control.
Thanks in advance.
OBB

Do these help

Attachments

• duck1.JPG
    duck1.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 776
And another

Attachments

• duck2.JPG
    duck2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 758
What part of it are you looking for ???

The defrost door part

I could not find anything else it all controlled by the mode actuator item 6 in the first picture

MichiganSilver03 said:
I could not find anything else it all controlled by the mode actuator item 6 in the first picture
I'm just hoping that when I pulled the dash control panel for this while I was putting in my cdx I might have pushed a wire up against is causing the jam up. the radio is easy enough to pull out.

well now, it wasn't working right so I shut it off yesterday. today I got some more info over at MAC and thought I'd go look for bad wires somewhere. I got in the truck, started it to put the windows down and just for giggle hit the auto button and now it works. I think when doing the fuse reset, maybe the CC has to be off then after you start the truck turn in on and leave it alone for a minute.  ??? maybe this is it, it's the only thing I can figure that was done differently than on previous attempts.

Did this happen after the horn install or had you disconnect the battery for something ???

MichiganSilver03 said:
Did this happen after the horn install or had you disconnect the battery if something ???
not sure, don't remember using it or checking it after doing the CDX unit.

I was reading my manual, it say's the defrostor is the default mode so I'm thinking if you disconnect the battery you better not touch the HVAC before it recalibrate I'll read more on this tonight to see if there is anything in it about disconnecting the battery procedure. I see there is more than one post about this  problem.

drvortec said his happened also when he had disconnected his battery. His CC has the manual slides.

That might be something I'll have to look into then, might be helpful to the folk's to know.

Well so far I found this caution

Caution: Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery terminal cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or it's components. 

MichiganSilver03 said:
Well so far I found this caution

Caution: Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery terminal cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or it's components. 

Good find! So, it sounds like when you disconnect the battery, turn everything off first. Then disconnect battery. Replace or repair. Then connect battery and wait until a/c calibrates, then you can adjust? I did replace battery with a new one after all the previous posts and taking it to the dealer. I had no issues. Maybe I did it this way and didn't realize it. Hummmm

I too am stuck on Defrost, truck had the battery disconnected for hot AZ summer months.

Any relays or things to pull out in that big electric box under the hood, I disconnected it again.

Any help appreciated!!!

CK

vettdaddy said:
I too am stuck on Defrost, truck had the battery disconnected for hot AZ summer months.

Any relays or things to pull out in that big electric box under the hood, I disconnected it again.

Any help appreciated!!!

CK
I'll look to see how I did that....give me a little while.

Try this. make sure you turn off the a/c before doing the reset.

see if this works for you
remove hvac/ecas fuse in underhood fuse box for 10 seconds, re install and start truck. turn on the hvac and let it do it's thing, it is supposed to recalibrate after 40 seconds. good luck

Note:  after pulling fuse I started the truck, nothing improved. Turned off the radio, shut off. Turned the key on, some wizzing and a click or two then came out the vent. Started the truck back to deforst, repeated shutting off, key on for over a minute, it went back to the vent, left it for maybe another minute, started it...seems to be working.  Thanks Ohio!!

Posted on: Yesterday at 07:42 PMPosted by: ohiobellboy 
Insert Quote
Try this. make sure you turn off the a/c before doing the reset.

see if this works for you
remove hvac/ecas fuse in underhood fuse box for 10 seconds, re install and start truck. turn on the hvac and let it do it's thing, it is supposed to recalibrate after 40 seconds. good luck
Posted on: Yesterday at 07:31 PMPosted by: ohiobellboy 
Insert Quote
Quote from: vettdaddy on Yesterday at 04:59 PM

Any help appreciated!!!

CK

Sounds like it took a few extra cycles but seems to be working for you. glad we could help  (y)

I just replaced the Mode actuator motor on my '05 AV today. I followed the instructions by removing the HVAC fuse under the hood, waiting about a minute, Putting it back in and then started the truck. It fixed the problem with mine.

Dave in tn said:
I just replaced the Mode actuator motor on my '05 AV today. I followed the instructions by removing the HVAC fuse under the hood, waiting about a minute, Putting it back in and then started the truck. It fixed the problem with mine.
I saw you post in your other thread about changing the motor. Great info  (y)

MichiganSilver03 said:
Do these help
Hey Michigan,  Where did you get these pics?  Is there a repair manual or something I can get to help take apart the dash and get tooo this stuff.

Thanks a bunch, :B: :cheers:

Back