• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front mud flaps for retractable steps

Av6.0

Has anyone seen any front mud flaps that will work with retractable steps?

My paint behind the front wheels is taking a beating.

I haven't tried it yet, but found this posted at a Tahoe forum:

I have the electric running boards on our Tahoe and could not find anyone who sold a set to fit this model so i bought the stock GM one's for 50 bucks and slid the frt one up until the running brd just slide past the hump in the flap. they seem to work good at keeping the rock chips down.
------------------------------
Yes they are the GM flat type. I wish GM would have contured the frt of the electric running boards so i could have used the molded ones. I even thought about cutting off the frt end and reshaping them but decided against doing that because of the way they are made. I will take some photos and post them today.

I believe he may be talking about these (but not sure):

12497447 w/o bowtie
12497448 w/ bowtie

I'm also very interested in this as I also have the articulating running boards and haven't had any luck for far. I could have one of the guys at the local fab shop do something up for me. One of the guys I was talking to suggested just using a powered painted piece of aluminum. I'm going to check out all my options first though. My girl's only 2 months old and we're getting into spring here. Guess how much gravel's on the road right now.
Looking forward to any suggestions or ideas.

check them out here ...  these are the molded ones ...

go here www.gmaccessorieszone.com ... click on "avalanche" in the drop down box and in the middle column you will see molded mud flaps ...

Intimidatoruag said:
check them out here ...  these are the molded ones ...

go here www.gmaccessorieszone.com ... click on "avalanche" in the drop down box and in the middle column you will see molded mud flaps ...

They both say "not for use with articulating steps". 

I believe he was looking for something made for use with articulating steps.  I know I am looking for ones specified for use with articulating steps.

I have the power running boards on mine.

I ordered a set of mudflaps yesterday but they have to be made so it may be a week or two before I get them.

I read on an EXT forum that the running boards have four allen bolts underneath them holding them to the arms, and the bolts can be loosed and the board slide to the back an inch or so, and that provides clearance for  mudflaps at the front wheel wells.  I haven't checked this on mine yet.

spaceguy said:
I have the power running boards on mine.

I ordered a set of mudflaps yesterday but they have to be made so it may be a week or two before I get them.

I read on an EXT forum that the running boards have four allen bolts underneath them holding them to the arms, and the bolts can be loosed and the board slide to the back an inch or so, and that provides clearance for  mudflaps at the front wheel wells.  I haven't checked this on mine yet.

Did you order EXT Special Flaps or are they universal for us lowly AVs?  Hmmm can be slipped back a bit, will look this weekend.  Thanks Andy!

I went by the dealership parts department and asked if I could look at a set of OEM front molded splash guards.

It looks like you would have to slide the running boards back a couple of inches to get the necessary clearance.

So has anyone come up with anything on this yet, or am I on my own.  ???

Not really a answer but I chose to install 3m Clear material down both sides of mine and behind the rear wheel!!! No more chips!!! Have never liked the mud flap look so thats why i did mine with 3m clear paint protection!!.

I'm putting a set on my 03, I have cladding but want the flaps also. I'll think of something Thanks

coolkc said:
Had a guy do a custom install for 250!!!

Did that include fixing any chips already there?  ???  Otherwise was he the only guy in town? 

Seems really high to basically apply 3M clear decals, unless I am to slow on the uptake about the installation process.

I fixed the chips then had him do custom install!!! he took four hours and it looks perfect!! the guy was a perfectionist and the cost wasnt a issue after seeing him do it!!!  (y)

coolkc said:
I fixed the chips then had him do custom install!!! he took four hours and it looks perfect!! the guy was a perfectionist and the cost wasnt a issue after seeing him do it!!!  (y)

Thanks!  I am good with that explanation!  Do you have any pictures of the area after application?

I have been looking for simple way to allow the installation of front spash guard retractable steps. I came upon a quick and easy fix - this worked for me. There are two 5mm allen head screws on each step hinge. They are at the end of the hinge and screw into the step. 1. loosen each one about 4 or 5 turns with the steps  in the up position - do not remove them. 2. This will allow the steps in the open position to moved rearward, enough to install front guards. After the guard is in place, cycle the steps and check the clearance. Set them as close to flaps as possible without contact. The rear tires will not come into contact with the steps. I have 20". I used GM # 12407448 on the front and rear. I used the two 7 mm head screws inside each wheel well to mount the guards.  I used the hardware supplied to secure the guards in two places on the inside edge and this also pulls the guards back for more clearance. The fronts could be longer, I did all of this without removing the wheels and the vehicle sitting on the ground. I hope this helps.

Thanks to Old Army for his suggestion.  I installed my front mudflaps this past weekend (01-30-10).  GM Part #12497447, my dealer stated that these were also being discontinued.  Works on 2009 LTZ, works just like he said!!  Ken Wilson Retired Navy

Anyone have a Picture. I want to see what they look like.

I have a '07 with the retractable running boards, I slid them back as mentioned in an above post.  I'll admit too that the factory GM mud flaps I installed could be a little bit longer but it is better than nothing.  I am a relatively new member and can't post pics yet but if someone would PM me with their email address i would gladly email them a few pictures if their interested.

Thanks I'll do that.

Thanks for the info ill do the same for sure just I would like to confirm the part# that you guys used for the front moulded mudflaps.

And if anyone has pics on a Avalanche I saw some on a EXT just not on a Avalanche.

Back