• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Remote Start (Factory) settings

trAVelingman

Silent Avalanche RIP
This morning was the first time I have become aggravated with my new Avalanche.  I had the Viper remote start on my '05 Avalanche and it spoiled me.  The '07 has the factory remote start (we won't even discuss the poor range) and it will only run for 10 minutes, then shut off.  You can restart it a second time and it again will run for another 10 minutes, but that's it.  You cannot restart it a 3rd time.

Is there any way to reset the timing on the factory remote start to a longer run time, say 20 minutes?  10 minutes just does not give it enough time to defrost icy/snow covered windows and to get the interior nice and toasty warm. 

:help:

due to liability i dont think you can...    Im pretty sure its a safety featrue, incase your parked in a garage or something..  Im guessing they did some test on how long it can take to fill a garage with enough toxic fumes to kill a rodent or something...

ajk2000 said:
due to liability i dont think you can...    Im pretty sure its a safety featrue, incase your parked in a garage or something..  Im guessing they did some test on how long it can take to fill a garage with enough toxic fumes to kill a rodent or something...

I don't know that I buy that...every other alarm remote start in the world goes way beyond that...they don't have to worry about liability...what makes GM so special.  This is the only remote start I have ever seen that works this way.  I could live with the ten minute thing, (actually since I have a factory RS, guess I have to live with it) but the "you have to use the key" bit after only two starts, that is just ridicules, and very bad engineering IMO. If GM wanted to get onto the alarm/remote start bandwagon, they should have, rather then engineer their own system, contracted with one of the big makers, like  Viper, Hornet, Python, Clifford, or Avital who have been making these things for years and know what they are doing.  We would have been much better off.  I had an Avital on my Silverado that I traded in,  had I known what I know now.  I would have skipped the factory system and gone that route again.

Hey John,

Yep, that's all you get. And believe me in our Michigan winters we have, it is not enough (I park outside). I had the viper installed on one of Kyle's trucks and LOVED it...you could program the amount of time it ran and get multiple starts, excellent range.

This is the one thing I am not happy with on the AV  :E: 

Sorry my friend, but it is what it is.

Here is my alternate theory on why the factory remote only runs ten minutes.  Economics, just that simple, has nothing to do with safety, programming etc..since the gm vehicles already have a timer in them, i.e..radio and accessories run for ten minutes after you turn off key, gm just decided to use it, that way everything runs off the same relay.  Those bean counters look at stuff like that, to put another timer relay just for the remote that does anything other then ten minutes would cost a butt load of money when your buying a million of them.  Gm figured out they could use the ten minute relay they already had and still charge you for a full addon...just my opinion, I could be wrong...lol..but I bet it closer to the truth then GM is worried about my safety in a garage.

sk8deck said:
Whats worse, some cities will fine you for even starting it up like that and not be in it.  :beating:

Are you serious??? OMG...its a daily use for me!! Multiple times in one day on some of them.

I am still waiting for some one, to hack this thing and give us unlimited remote starts and extended time.  Hell they hack every thing else, Onstar, performance chips, stereos, why not the remote start.  So all you electronic gurus out there that love to hack stuff, hack one of these remote starts, come on...you can do it...lol

GoNavy429 said:
I am still waiting for some one, to hack this thing and give us unlimited remote starts and extended time.  Hell they hack every thing else, Onstar, performance chips, stereos, why not the remote start.  So all you electronic gurus out there that love to hack stuff, hack one of these remote starts, come on...you can do it...lol
yea, what GoNavy says! LOL

i wonder if the data start add-on or the new gm oem 2 way unit will help with this? anyone see 1 in use yet? if not then im gonna buy 1 asap to find out. :B:

Back