• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Repair of the sticky speedometer problem

GaleRich

My 2005 had the sticky speedometer problem.  The readings would go whacky and it may still say I was going 60 mpg after I stopped.  Since Chevy had not issued a service work order / recall on the 2005 as they did for this problem on the 03-04, I decided to fix it myself. 

With good instructions from another member of this board I completed this task today.  I took some pictures and documented the repair process.  It was not very hard and the repair cost me about $22 instead of $250 - $500.  If anyone wants the instructions and pictures here is a link to the file.

http://www.sound-expressions.com/rides/avaspdrpr.pdf

I could upload it here if I knew how?

Cheers,
Rich
Rich@sound-expressions.com

won't come up on firefox, but i got to see it using IE, nice repair job  (y)

that's a really nice looking cluster! 

"
won't come up on firefox, but i got to see it using IE, nice repair job

that's a really nice looking cluster! 
"

Thanks, I had the link listed as a jpg instead of a pdf.  I just changed the original message to:

This should come up for anyone now.

It looks like the previous owner changed the faceplate as it says USspeeo or something like that on it.  That must be why the service guy at the dealer said he hadn't seen an instrument cluster like that before.  I'm glad I attempted this on my own instead of the costly dealer repair/replacement.  I don't have the skills or knowledge do everything myself, but having this forum sure helps out. 

- Rich

The link is incorrect. missing the .com portion in it. I kind of suspect firefox not completing the link like IE would.

Brian

Thanks Brian ... I had to fix it again to:

With my slow dial-up internet connection, I don't have the time or patience to verify everything.

- JRich

GaleRich said:
Thanks Brian ... I had to fix it again to:

With my slow dial-up internet connection, I don't have the time or patience to verify everything.

- JRich
that link works just fine  (y)

There is a post here that may help you. Don't have the PDF file

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,100915.0.html

Sorry, I accidentally removed that file when cleaning up the web site.  :p  I put it back where it had been at:

I'm glad someone pointed this out!

- Rich

javaman said:
Anyone still have a copy of this PDF ?

(y)Thanks, I never thought that ebay would have them.  Do you recomend changing all ofo them or jsut the speedo.  My speed acted flaky 2 days ago then came back, now it is stuck at 40 and in the driveway.

mckay105 said:
(y)Thanks, I never thought that ebay would have them.  Do you recomend changing all ofo them or jsut the speedo.  My speed acted flaky 2 days ago then came back, now it is stuck at 40 and in the driveway.

You might want to slow down, the driveway is no place for speeding

I recommend replacing them all.  I wasn't sure how easy the job would be. So when the speedo messed up, I replaced the speedo and the gas gage (figured gas was important to be reliable too).  Now that my oil pressure gage has gone out too, I will be taking it apart a second time to finish replacing the rest of the gages. I documented the process and uploaded to the link below.  Now I guess I'll be following my own manual ... glad I documented the process.

- Rich

See:  http://www.sound-expressions.com/rides/avaspdrpr.pdf

There is a bonus buy if you buy six of them I think, its a little cheaper than buying six one at a time.  Good luck.  I did mine awhile back and did just one, then went back and did the rest of them, lol., ugh.  The speedo was the toughest one to get calibrated because I have a after market GPS and the mph was not matching, soooo after two attempts and still off, I put it back in without the plastsic shield on the cluster, Not exactly safe to do but found a fairly deserted road set the cruise and slipped the needle on now were on the button.

Didit

:D  Thanks for allyour help.  I ordered the parts today.  I have to drive 13 hours with no speedo but am having it sent to my sister's house, so I can fix it before I head back.  Luckily I have a gps that can tell me my speed so Ill set the cruise at 70 and go with it.  I ordered a full kit.  I am sure that the how to with pics will come into hand.  Thanks for the link.

Steve

Yeah I got them off of ebay a set of 7 stepper motors and 12 bulbs-33.88
Chrome gauge bezel from ebay                                                          24.00
White face gauges from whitefacegauges.net (silverado)                  19.99
total                                                                                                    77.87

I decided to do the mods because since I was already going to have the cluster apart I wanted to do something different.  Id rather have a Escalade cluster but Christmas is almost here and at lease my wife is letting me do these. 

I have not found a place to get the needle for the tranny temp but searched this forum and foudn that if I install the motor for it and put the gauge numbers on, it should work.  I just need the needle.  Does anybody knoiw where I can get a needle for it?  I tried ebay and even called the dealership.  I found some for 60 but I dont want to spend that.  I just need a stock needle.  It warmed up a little today so my gauges are working fine, figures.  Thanks for all the help.  this site is Awesome!

Steve

Measure the length of your gas gauge needle or one of the other smaller needles, they are all the same, then visit your local junk yard!

Didit

I pulled the dash apart and replaced the remaining 5 stepper motors.  I had only replaced two the last time.  I'm glad that's done and all the gages, speedo, and tach working again.

Hello folks!

I'm new to the forum. I apologize if it is against forum etiquette to revive an old thread. But it looks like I have the exact same problem. All of a sudden my speedometer started reading very high- 100mph - when only going about 30mph. When I turn turn the key completely off the needle stays at about 70 mph. Does the same thing everytime since it started acting up.

Is the excellent procedure described in the link in this thread the procedure I need to follow to repair the speedometer on my 2005 Avalanche?  Thanks.

:welcome: navigator909
Bad forum etiquette would be starting a new topic for a problem when a topic already exists.
You did good by reviving an existing topic.  (y)

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your speedo question.
Speedometer issues are not uncommon with these trucks, so I'm sure an answer will come.
I'd bet that what was mentioned here will work for you too.

Back