• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HELP - New Radio - No Sound

S

Sirshagg

I am in the process of installing a new Kenwood X858 radio. I purchased a wire harness and antanna converter. I purchased the OS-1, but since it won't work with an RDS radio (which mine is) I have not tried to install it.

I am 99.9% sure that all the wires from the GM radio harness are connected correctly to the Kenwood radio. I turn it on and everything works fine - but NO Sound. Not even a slight hiss, nothing.

After scratching my head for about an hour I hooked the factory radio back up and didn't connect what I assume is the On-Star harness to the radio. Everything worked fine but NO Sound. Once I connected the On-Star harness I got sound.

Is there a wire in the On-Star harness that I need to connect to the radio? Do I have to use the OS-1? What do I do since my radio has RDS?

Any help PLEASE.

Interesting! I had the same issue when I tried to add a Kenwood changer to the factory head unit using the Peripheral product GMKENX I just purchased on E-bay. The unit was new. When I unplugged the On-star interface to plug in the Changer interface, no sound! plug the On star interface back in, viola! sound, but no changer control.

Other than that, all worked perfectly, the head unit controlled all the function of the changer as expected. My installer said that since I have the in dash CD head unit, not the Cassette head unit, that the changer wouldn't work. I'm not sure I buy that since it seems like something else, the Change does work, just one of those leads must be for sound.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but I'm very interested in the outcome of this issue also.

hmmm...OS-1 maybe? Is the light "on" (OS-1)? Does Onstar work? push the blue button.

I had this happen once during install, no sound but when i pushed the onstar button and exited the call the sound came alive!

Look around on some of the other posts. There is a factory amp turn on wire that needs to be connected to the new radio. I forgot what color the wire was, but is here somewhere.........

Yep, after searching and reading posts for quite ome time I found it.

It's the pink wire in the On-Star harness.

At first I connected this to the power antenna lead from the new radio and thought I was done becasue the radio worked great. To my dismay the CD player and changer still had no sound. It took about 10 minutes before I realized. DUH - the CD players dont use the antenna. So I hooked the pink wire to the Power Control wire from the radio and now everthing is peachy.

Thank you so much, I would have never figured this out on my own. This board and the people here are the best.

Did your AV really have a PINK wire? ?I don't have Onstar and I had the base cd player radio (non rds). ?I didn't have a PINK wire. ?But in the end I found that the same position is the Amp turn on, it just wasn't pink.

Just wondering.
MI 99XPL

WOW!

I found this posting from years and years ago.

I just put in a new iphone handsfree radion in my 02 and if it wasn't for this site I think I would go crazy.

I was having the same problem. Checked wiring 3 times, even looked in the Clymer and could not figure it out.
Was about ready to consider the radio was bad,  logged in and found this.

I splice the pink wire from the second smaller harnness to the read hot wire that goes to the radio and TAAAA DAAA.

Thank you for this post.

Jay

Back