• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oxygen Sensor Location for 02 Avalanche

aretivov

Hi there.

Does anyone know where all 4 oxygen sensors are located on a 02 Avalanche 1500 Z71.   I can see 2 of them.   1 before the Catalytic Converter and one after but I'm told there are 2 more.   Are they easily accessible?  I'm suddenly getting poor gas mileage and I think they need to be replaced.   I have 120k on the vehicle.

Thanks,

Alex

1 in front of each cat, 1 behind each cat.  They aren't hard to find, and not difficult to replace.

I just had to replace mine at 78000.   I have and '03 but they are exactly where DougD says they are.

Hey there! Also do not forget to clean the throttle body and replace the plugs and wires that were due at 100,000. These will make a big difference. :B:

I have to replace an o2 sensor on my 2003 avalanche.  The code is PO155 which is Sensor 1 Bank 2..  Where is this located?  THANKS

Bank 1 = driver's side
Bank 2 = passenger side
Sensor 1 = front
Sensor 2 = rear

Therefore, yours is passenger front.  Find cat, head towards engine (this is an easy one to get to, B1S1 is fun)

I have only been able to find the two pre cat sensors. There are none on the post cats and I don't even see any wiring harness connections for them. Another item to note is that there is a Gibson exhaust system on my Avy. Is this factory or add-on? Not sure since I bought it used in '06. ('02 2500 8.1L)

thanks for the information.  I will be replacing it this weekend.  At $41 it's alot cheaper than having the mechanic do it....

Sensor 1 Bank 2 is the hardest to get to with the 02 sensor socket wrench, any other suggestions on how to get to it?

Try using a regular wrench.  As long as the sensor isn't seized in the pipe too bad it should come out OK. I just did one in my car that way and it wasn't changed since new in '96.

jpinero3 said:
Can anyone help me get out an o2 sensor that is possibly seized in the pipe?
You might be able to try heating the pipe up or getting some break free spray and soaking it. 

jpinero3 said:
Can anyone help me get out an o2 sensor that is possibly seized in the pipe?
arggggggggggg..

the worse thing ever..

Heat... and good wrench to grab O2 sensor.. and elbow grease.....

Back