• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Tahoe/Yukon Fire Hazard?

Seems like a VERY, VERY limited, odd occurrence, and nothing that's widespread.  Better to wait and see if they can actually make a firm ruling, and not worry about it.

Steel said:
Wonder if this investigation will expand to the Avalanche since all the GMT900 SUV?s are essentially the same vehicle.

Have to wait until they isolate the cause. All GMT900 don't use the same wiring harness's and all GMT900 aren't built in the same factory. It could be something simple as assembly error when the regular operator was in the restroom. A pinched harness could go unnoticed and cause no problems until it breaks, shorts or grounds out.

Yeah, my Lamborghini caught fire.  It was horrible.

The worst incidence of melted metal in 1:18 scale I've ever seen. 
aa2104.jpg
  Better times.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it has received two reports of fires on 2007 model year Chevrolet Tahoe SUVs.

I think the operative word here is two.

DaytonaZ71 said:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it has received two reports of fires on 2007 model year Chevrolet Tahoe SUVs.

I think the operative word here is two.

I see the operative word as investigation ?the NHTSA viewed those two reports significant enough to investigate.

Certainly they don?t investigate every complaint they receive.

Steel said:
I see the operative word as investigation ?the NHTSA viewed those two reports significant enough to investigate.

Certainly they don?t investigate every complaint they receive.
The article says preliminary investigation.

I went to the NHTSA Office of Defect Investigation or "ODI" website. ( ODI ). Specifically, I used the complaint search engine (Complaint Search) to turn up the exact complaints. These are listed below for your review.

=================================================================
Complaint #1
=================================================================
Make : CHEVROLET Model : TAHOE Year : 2007
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Crash : No Fire : Yes Number of Injuries: 2
ODI ID Number : 10210063 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 8, 2007
VIN : 1GNFC13017R...
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: TAHOE

Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 CHEVROLET TAHOE. WHILE PARKED IN THE GARAGE, THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY CAUGHT FIRE. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT INVESTIGATED AND STATED THAT THE FIRE ORIGINATED FROM UNDERNEATH THE HOOD. THEY ALSO ADVISED HER TO NOT MOVE THE VEHICLE UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED BY THE DEALER. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED AND TWO PEOPLE SUSTAINED INJURIES. SHE BELIEVES THE FUEL PUMP CAUSED THE FAILURE BECAUSE THE EXPLOSION WAS VERY LARGE. THE VIN, ENGINE SIZE, AND NUMBER OF CYLINDERS WERE UNKNOWN. THE CURRENT AND FAILURE MILEAGES WERE 11,700.
==================================================================
Complaint #2
==================================================================
Make : CHEVROLET Model : TAHOE Year : 2007
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Crash : No Fire : Yes Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10215307 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 31, 2007
VIN : 1GNFK13077J...
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary:
I OWN A NEW 2007 CHEVY TAHOE THAT I PURCHASED ON 2/22/07 FOR $49K. ON DEC 31ST, 2007 I CAME HOME FROM WORK AT 3PM AND PARKED MY CAR IN OUR ATTACHED GARAGE (CAR OBVIOUSLY TURNED OFF). AT 3:45PM MY WIFE STARTED TO SMELL SMOKE -- UPON ENTERING THE GARAGE I NOTICED THAT THE CAR WAS SMOKING (FIRE DEPT THINKS ITS ELECTRICAL IN NATURE - DEFINITELY SMELLED LIKE IT WAS). I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM AT ALL WITH THIS CAR AND KEPT UP WITH ALL MAINTENANCE ONLY USING THE GM DEALERSHIP FOR WORK. WE IMMEDIATELY CALLED THE FIRE DEPT -- WHEN THE POLICE AND FIRE MADE IT TO THE SCENE THE ENGINE BURST INTO FLAMES. MY ONE YEAR OLD SON WAS SLEEPING IN HIS ROOM RIGHT ABOVE THE GARAGE. THERE ARE A LOT OF "WHAT IFS" THAT GO THROUGH YOUR HEAD IF WE HAD NOT SMELLED THE SMOKE AND THE CAR BLEW UP. NOT EVEN TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT THERE WAS ANOTHER CAR RIGHT NEXT TO THE TAHOE WHICH WAS FULL OF GAS. GM HAS GIVEN ME THE RUN AROUND AND DOES NOT FEEL THAT MY CAR DESERVES TO BE REPLACED. THEY ARE VERY HAPPY LETTING MY INSURANCE PAY FOR THE DAMAGE TO MY HOUSE AND LETTING ME SUFFER A $16K LOSS OUT OF POCKET FOR THIS INCIDENT. I AM CURRENTLY PURSUING LEGAL AVENUES AND AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOOKING AT THE LEMON LAW THAT MASSACHUSETTS HAS ON THE BOOKS. *TR

Both reports are written by knowledgeable rocket scientists, I see.

"It was the fuel pump because the boom was big"
"Looking at lemon law" - yeah right
"Replace vehicle" - also yeah right - it was 10 months old, it's not a new vehicle, it HAS depreciated, and as such his insurance and/or GM would be obligated only to replace his loss with a comparable vehicle, ie 10 months old and similar options and miles.

Knew I should have held out for an AV rather then getting the Tahoe.  :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E:

DaytonaZ71 said:
The article says preliminary investigation.

Ah, Preliminary Investigation: the investigation to investigate whether there needs to be an investigation.

Got it.? (y)

Steel said:
Ah, Preliminary Investigation: the investigation to investigate whether there needs to be an investigation.

Got it.  (y)

Followed by the "Preliminary Investigation Report of Findings" which will detail what the investigation found in regards to performing an investigation.

DougD said:
Followed by the "Preliminary Investigation Report of Findings" which will detail what the investigation found in regards to performing an investigation.

All sounds like "sort of pregnant" to me.? >:D

I'd guess this prevestigation is a knee-jerk reaction to the Ford debacle where they waited a lot longer than they should have to do anything.

Tahoe/Yukon are built in Arlington,TX right ? I'm still curious to know the results of the investigation, a fire in an unoccupied/parked/not running vehicle should never happen and seems really odd.

Flint4x4 said:
Tahoe/Yukon are built in Arlington,TX right ? I'm still curious to know the results of the investigation, a fire in an unoccupied/parked/not running vehicle should never happen and seems really odd.
i beleive janesville wi also

moosc said:
i beleive janesville wi also

I think Janesville is Suburban/Yukon XL (the longer versions), I'm not certain of the product mix. Any of the GMT900 SUV plants should be capable of making all versions with some tooling changes. Where they were built matters for containment if it was a production error or a bad batch of parts.

I seen a few on the road this morning..None were on fire  :laugh:

I saw a loaded  Jack Cooper transport carrier full of Tahoes, Yukons and Escalades heading East on I-30 from the Arlington Plant yesterday and none were on fire.

Back