• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tailgate Latch

2002AVA

Has anyone else had one of their tailgate latches fail to work. I have my driver side latch not closing. I was hoping someone might know why and how to fix it.

Thanks
Shane

How is it not working?

To test latch I do this.
With tailgate down.
Use a screwdriver to push the latch into a locked position.
If it locks, unlock it with the tailgate handle. Nothing wrong.

If the latch says spring back to a open position, not latching.
It's just a rod adjustment. You can do this with the tailgate open.
Under the tailgate bezel. You should see a green plastic clip. Clamped around a threaded rod.
Open the plastic clip. Push the latch into a locked position. Re-close the plastic clip. Test with the handle. If everything works. Go ahead and close the tailgate and give a good tug.

It is not locking in place when I push it down with a screwdriver. I will try this fix you mentioned and let you know the out come.

Thanks
Shane

Chevy had to replace the tailgate latch assembly twice on my 05 before it worked correctly.

If it has ever been frozen and forced open, they said it damages them.

It does get dam cold here but it has not worked properly since hey replace the cables for me a couple years back. I just did not realize it until now.

Shane

Mine requires WD40 to keep things working or it starts to stick. I spray both sides, into the lock and the under the handle. It has become a regular thing I do every couple of months.

had mine fixed twice, and its still not working right. Part of it is that they don't fix it prop. It means a complete new mechanism, and they have to lift off the plastic fairing on top of the door as well (which they also keep screwing up!). Seen it on several other Avvs, but as far as I know its not on a Bulletin. R/

OK I took it to the stealer and they said I had a bent rod and it would cost $275.00 to fix it. Well I will be dammed if I paid them that without trying to fix it myself first. So I removed the plastic piece around the tailgate handle. I shot some WD40 in there for good measure. I then unhooked the green plastic clamp thingy. I took a screwdriver and locked the side latch. Then I used a screwdrive to unlock it. I then went back and connected the green plastic  thingy. I then used the screwdriver to lock the latch again and pulled the handle to release. This worked perfect. So I closed the tailgate and still could not get the latch to close. So I loosened the latch on the side of the tailgate and moved it upwards towards the sky as far as it would go, using a screwdriver for leverage. Tightened it back down and TADA it works perfectly. And the total cost to me was 15 minutes of my time. Take that you dam Chevy Stealer's.

Shane

:laugh: way to go (y) you know they would of done the same thing and took all day to do it . Glad to see you took care of it your self in record time and saved yourself $275.00

You go BOY!!  (y)

I was under warranty when mine was fixed so, I let the stealers do it.  If it breaks again I'll have to try your manuver!!  :rolleyes:

So here is the nice letter I emailed to GM and the stealer Cole Chevrolet":

General Manager at Cole Chevrolet
Pocatello, Idaho

I brought my 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche into your Service department on 2/12/2002; to have a faulty tailgate latch looked at. After waiting about 15 minutes, the service manager informed me that my tailgate handle was bent and the rod to the latch was not moving and the whole assembly needed to be replaced. He then explained that this would cost $275.00 to repair.
So I brought my Avalanche home and went online to, www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com, and looked up this problem. I found a forum that explained to remove the bezel, spray with WD40. Then unhook the green clamp. Lock the latch manually using a screwdriver. Then unlatch using a screwdriver. Hook the green clamp back on close the tailgate. If this does not work try adjusting the location of the latch. So I did all that and adjusted the latch upwards about 1/8th of an inch. Now my tailgate works perfectly.
What I am writing you about is how upset I am that your GM Certified Technician could not spend the 2 minutes it took me to verify his diagnoses. I feel that the service department was jut trying to take advantage of me. I do not see how they can justify telling me that I needed to spend $275.00 of my money for a 2 minute repair. I am not a automotive technician, I am a disabled Carpenter.
I am going to forward this to whoever I feel with do what is right with the information. You do as you see fit as well.

Sincerely;
Shane Morton
Smorton213@cableone.net

You tell them Shane!!  (y)

I'm having issue with service myself!  See 10 service calls in one year posting!

I love reading tips such as this here!  My tailgate has been giving me fits when the temperatures drop.  Twice now it has popped open, and of course it does it at the worst time, pulling out into traffic while accelerating quickly. Luckily nothing in the bed fell out!

I'm going to try and do the adjustment method discussed above. So far I have used WD40 with decent results.  When it warms up into the 50+ F range, it seems to close/latch normally, so I still think it's a cold weather issue.

My tailgate kept popping open until I tried this fix.  I thought someone rear ended me the first time it opened on the freeway.  What a thud!  Good thing my tailgate cable held up. 

dano said:
My tailgate kept popping open until I tried this fix.  I thought someone rear ended me the first time it opened on the freeway.  What a thud!  Good thing my tailgate cable held up. 
that would give you quite a scare :eek:

Hey!  I just bought a 2003 Lanche in  mint condition. For the past 2 days, the tailgate will not either unlock or has frozen.  I did a search and don't understand the how you guys fixed it.  My stealer quoted me at least $300.00 to repair it.  If it's only linkage, what's involved in the "home" repair?

Thanks!

Chuck

I can't get the gate open to even look at it, unless there is a way to disassemble it with it locked closed?

CD

CDRASS4 said:
I can't get the gate open to even look at it, unless there is a way to disassemble it with it locked closed?

CD
open midgate inside
and crawl in.. makes it easier if you unlatch bed covers too..

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,69059.0.html

If dismantling the plate behind the handle doesn't work, you can use method at this link to get in from the outside.  Just pop the latch of which side is stuck or both if necessary.  Hope this helps!

Orionfree~~

Thanks much!  I'll give it a try later today.  From the outside, everything looks rusted or corroded.

Chuck

Hi all,

I had to take the plastic cover off from around the handle on mine last year and since lubricating it, it hasn't given me any problems. You really can't lubricate the parts unless you take the cover off.

You might considering using white grease instead of WD40. WD40 will fix the problem in the short term, but will not last long.

Back