• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM Radio Removal

K

Ken_Payne

Ok, I did a search and found a whole bunch of threads about adding an XM radio, but...

The AV I'm looking at has one thing I DON'T want, an XM radio.
So would removing it and replacing it with an aftermarket unit cause any
problems? I'm wondering if any other "features" are part of the radio (Onstar, etc), like with the honda civics, where the keyless entry functions are built into the radio??

Also, does this have a different antenna? (as in is there another hole I'll have to cover up?)

Hey Ken, I'll try and answer your questions. If you have OnStar AND you want to continue to use it changing our your head unit is problematic, but not impossible. Fortunately in the last 12 months many replacement head units include a line in for muting by an outside source, this is the main feature that is lost if you replace your factory head unit. Right now if you use OnStar, especially the on board cell phone your stereo will mute when you go to make a call or receive one. Without the mute hookup this feature is lost. It's kind of a pain in the arse if you think about it.

As far as disconnecting XM radio IMHO you really don't have to do a thing. I'd leave the antenna on the roof instead of taking it off. If you don't activate it, you don't have it. The reason I say leave the antenna is yes, you'll have a hole to plug and secondly when the day comes to sell or trade your Av, you'll more than likely want to put the stock system back. That leaves your options open.

So when you look at headunits make sure they have a mute lead in, and make sure you get an additional OnStar controller if you plan to continue to use OnStar. If you don't plan on using it you can do a search here for more information on OnStar removal.

Hope this helps! BTW - I would strongly recommend getting XM radio - it is AWESOME!

I would not remove the XM either. I ordered XM on our 2003 Suburban. My wife does not want XM so we have not activated it yet. We can turn it on any time if we wish. I wanted to have it factory rather than add it later.

A friend of mine has a Cavalier, he can not take his factory radio out of his car. If he wants a new HU, he must relocate the factory HU to the trunk and run a new harness, the radio controls his alarm and door locks. It is a RDS radio also. I do not know if the afflication has moved to the truck line though.

Thanks for the info, Chief.

I took really good look at the HU tonight, it doesn't seem so bad, if it's possible to add an AUX input to it, I'll probably just leave it in...gotta have my Neo hooked up though ;D

If all works out, I'll be picking up my AV tomorrow morning, let the modding begin :)

I must agree with Chief, ? I wasnt going to put XM in my truck and now its the BEST thing I ever did. ? I hardly ever listen to the radio ?and I put a mp3 deck in my truck as well and I havent used it yet except for buring a disk to see if it works. ? I hardly use cds or radio ?just mainly XM if you cant find anything you like on XM then there is a problem.

Hopefully XM will keep their subscription prices down. It is a good value for the money. I would like to see a multi car discount though.

Back