• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Newbie with performance & general questions!

Michelangelo

Hi yall. Happy to say I'm a 2003 Avalanche owner. 
Ava15.jpg

I drove it to SLC from Vegas and averaged between 16.6 and 18.2 mpg with running it on cruise at 76 mpg. Is this good? Should I get more and how can I get more MPG?  Does it matter if I use 88 or 91 octane gas? It has 5.3 liter and is 2wd with throat exhaust, not sure what kind.

How accurate really is that electronic mpg guage? I did 460 miles on the tank before I nearly ran out of gas.

What things should I be aware of on this truck or upgrade for reliability and economy (yeah yeah we didn't buy them for their mileage!).

I have 20" rims on 285/50s. Max PSI says 50. What do you recommend I run them at? Will be using for straight highway and freeway commute of 30 miles each way.

:welcome: to CAFCNA.

Your gas mileage doesn't seem bad. I'd run the cheapest gas, especially since you have such a long commute. I don't know what current p.s.i. you're running. You'd probably be happy in the 35-40 p.s.i. range.

Shayne

beautiful av, the mpg isn't to bad for that speed
there's no need for 91 octane unless you have changed the computer tune

:welcome: and congrats on the Av. FYI, My DIC is usually 1 to 1.5 MPG higher than if I figure with pencil and paper. It's the "fuel used" that throws it off. If I stop filling tank at auto shutoff it comes out pretty close to DIC.

Michelangelo said:
Thanks what is DIC though?

DIC= Driver Information Center-trip computer,ect....
I believe for the 2003 the buttons are on the steering wheel.

Michelangelo said:
Hi yall. Happy to say I'm a 2003 Avalanche owner. 
Ava15.jpg

76 mpg. Is this good? Should I get more and how can I get more MPG?
excuse my language but g*dd*amn i dont think hondas cant touch that sh*t, and your asking how to improve it?lol  :special:

Back