• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM On Stock Head Unit ???

WS6Y2K

Charter Member
I want to install XM on my 02 Av. I do not want to replace the head unit. I just want to add XM. What is needed to do this? I was looking at bestbuy.com and could not figure it out??

For the 02 your best bet is to get a PIE adapter (this allows you to connect an aux source to your head unit) and then use any tuner you wish. Im currently using the Sony Plug and Play unit and love it, but the most popular one right now seems to be the Delphi unit. If you want to use the tuner in more than one location (I use mine in my office as well as the Av), get the delphi or sony PnP, otherwise you can get an add on tuner like the pioneer.

here are some sites to look at:
www.xmfan.com
www.crutchfield.com

I think that you would need a new factory HU. The Hu's are different I believe between the XM and non-XM versions. There are some threads around from people with way more tech sav than me. Just do a search for XM and your set.

This is something what I was looking for. I am not sure how long I am going to have my Av so I would like something I could remove easy.

1. What does the PIE do and where can you get one.
2. What else is needed for this to work, antenna, fm modulater??

95Sportside said:
For the 02 your best bet is to get a PIE adapter (this allows you to connect an aux source to your head unit) and then use any tuner you wish. ?Im currently using the Sony Plug and Play unit and love it, but the most popular one right now seems to be the Delphi unit. ?If you want to use the tuner in more than one location (I use mine in my office as well as the Av), get the delphi or sony PnP, otherwise you can get an add on tuner like the pioneer.

here are some sites to look at:
www.xmfan.com
www.crutchfield.com

Ok I have done some reading here. Here is what I think I need. Please let me know if I am correct and if I am missing any thing.

Again I have a 02 Av w/o cd changer just built-in cd.

1. Delphi XM SA1000 ~129.99
2. XM antenna (don't know which one yet) ~39.99-59.99
3. GM-9 AUX adapter (from JP customs) ~69.99
4. Subscription to XM ~10.00/month

anything else??

Didn't the 02 AV only have 1 radio option......
I know 03 has 2 radios ( single CD or 6 pack, if you ordered buckets ) and if your in the US XM is available....in canada, no XM...... but the signal is HERE!
Just no subscriptions allowed :8:
I've listened to the preview for XM here and the Signal was wonderful.....

Get the Alpine XM tuner with the FM modulator. Crutchfield had the whole package for 160 (Yes, the Tuner, FM modulator, and receiver) I got it just for the cheap price for the tuner.

I guess you are talking about this package

Alpine XMA-T200RF Satellite Radio Package
with TUA-T020XM Tuner and XMA-T200RF FM Modulator/Controller 149.99
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...&c=3&g=79800&I=500XMAT200&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Ok now my question is can I use this with the GM-9 AUX adapter instead of the FM mod.

I am not sure what FM mod. is. Is this kind of like when you add a cd changer and plug into the FM anntenna and have to tune your radio to a certian station to hear it??

From what I understand the GM-9 Aux lets you plug into the stock radio and give you rca plugs for input. Not sure if the Alpine has rca outputs to plug into the GM-9 plug.

With the Alpine package you will still need the antenna for the XM reception. The Alpine package will plug into the existing FM antenna and you just dial up one of the lower FM stations and you will get the XM broadcast, just like the cd player you were referring to. I did this very thing on my 02 Av with the cd. You will love it. XM is so much better than FM. I wish I had got it on my 03. I still have all of the equipment setting in my den, it is just getting out there and puttin it in.

My friend has the Delphi unit and it is really nice. You can scroll through song titles or artists before changing the channel. Not sure about the Alpine, but the "preview" feature is cool, just don't get into an accident. :)

You still need to get the audio channel to the head unit, fm mod, aux (not sure how to do this) and an antenna.

I have factory xm and I love it. Although, I wish I could preview.

Anyway, I just wanted to relay my 2 cents.

I know GM is attached at the hip with XM, but I own a boat-load of Sirius stock...so I encourage new buyers to check out SIRI products. I won't go into crazy details but just to let you know, XM has two "birds" (satellites) flying "low" while SIRI has three birds (and another just in case =4 birds) flying high (better "acquisition" for SIRI, though XM does have more repeaters...but they need 'em). SIRI is poised for streaming data/video (couple years), XM is not. Also, XM has some commercials, SIRI does not.

The negatives on SIRI are that they have an all gay channel (XM has a premium Playboy channel), NPR, and CNN (though they also have FOX news), but you can block any channels out. SIRI is inking a deal with Ford, while XM is exclusive to GM (for now). And a SIRI sub is $3 more per month.

Long-term, I think they are both great companies with incredible potential. I like the SIRI product over XM because of my equity position. I picked SIRI because they don't have commercials, got rid of their debt, and had a .50 stock price (compared to XM's $6...though SIRI has many more shares outstanding [10x]). And now I'm a huge Jimmy Spencer #7 fan (SIRI sponsors him...GO MONGO!)...isn't it supposed to be the other way around :rolleyes:

SIRI is now .83 and XM is $9.25. Buy stock in either, or both, they own the sector; there are no other players. Imagine if there were only two cable/cell/computer, etc. companies??? Buy 'em both and you own the monopoly :cool: Direct TV and Dish have to compete with cable and free TV...these co's only compete against commercial-ridden free radio.

Bottom line...get sat radio and go from home to car to boat to mountains to the woods. Technology/profit is going to improve exponentially in this sector, IMHO. (Though neither company has hit break-even yet. XM needs 3mil subscribers, SIRI needs 2mil. to break even. XM has over 500,000 subs. SIRI hasn't posted total subs yet... their numbers come out May 14, 2003 [last year's number was 30,000...XM had a one-year head start & GM]).

BTW, either company could go bankrupt (if they don't get the necessary subscriptions). I don't think either will, but it is a possibility.

Sorry this post is more for Yahoo message boards than the AV site, but I've got too much invested to not at least mention the situation. GO SIRI, GO XMSR (I did recently pick up a [very] small position in XM too).

Back