• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear cupholder Tab

budhisetiawan

What is it? Where do I get another? Does anyone have a cheap solution?

If u dont know what I am talking about you probably dont have a kid...lol...The little  two prong tab that clicks the rear cup holders in the center console shut...one has broke and now the holder wont stay up...it constantly is falling down and my 3yr old thinks its a step....GRRR.....someone?

I tried velcro but it doesnt hold...

ANy thoughts?

The PN is 88934982 and it list for $31.89  :mad: 

How about a visit to an Automotive Re-cycler (Junk Yard)?

fear1 said:
I would have it fixed under warranty by Chevy.

His sig shows he has a 2002 with 58k miles on it.  Somehow I doubt there's any warranty left.

you might try some magnets... there are several hobby magnets that are really strong and small...
good luck...
I get mine from Partsexpress.com
they have a store front near me in Dayton, Oh
I go in all the time and pick up odds and ends..

I have used Magnets and Velcro...

Magnets had to be glued on to both... (scuff surface first.)

worked great.. but kinda thick and did not look perfect..

Went to Velcro...

Rough surface.. clean real good with alcohol...
Apply and high quality velcro w. self adhesive... do not stick to each other for few days until adhesive sets up...
Rub them into surface hard to remove air bubbles...

Works fine for me...

didnt know what they were called...that was the issue...or would have checked ebay first...will call the juck yards first....thx for the heads up!...

I tried the velcro but it just wont hold....magnets i wouldnt think would give it the flush fit....

PS...I do still have a Warranty...but the Deductible is $50...lol...

Sorry to necro an old post, but the search function on this site is hard to use sometimes.  I have better luck at times using google to input search terms- and then I find a lot more search results there that lead back to this site.  Weird.  I have to go through 2 login pages to be able to check recent posts or write stuff on this site, too- related?

Anyway,  I chose to use this thread because it explains the location where I have my own, opposite issue. I have the clip that holds the door shut- that works fine.  I can't use the cupholders on that door because the door opens past horizontal and doesn't stop until it hits the floor.  I can find no indentations or holes or any evidence of where a strap, a stop tab, or anything would be to hold the door at horizontal.  Looking for parts, drawings is pretty fruitless.  Anyone have ideas?  I guess I can velcro a foam pad to the floor  to hold it up but I'd prefer to avoid cheesy fixes.

I am sorry I finally got the part and fixed!

Truck now has 148K on it (need to update my sig). Actually it retails for same amount now but got it free... Tried paying but service manager threw at me said "no worries we got you"... Go figure!

Anyway.. I did just get it so that should tell you how long it took me to get it or how important it really was...at least for the initially quoted price...lolb

THX for all replies!!

AGM:

Mine has these little plastic bumps that stop it....actually when kid kept stepping on it every time he got in I took it out so it would wear them away.

I found two small magnets and super glued them in the cup holder. Works great and no more clips to break.

THis is something I am using now.
a door panel clip I found in my junky box.

slid it into slot and let the other part hold it up.
Works well and was free.

EXAMPLE below as I have no idea where mine came from it just worked well.

http://www.autozone.com/screws-pins-and-clips/exterior-body-retainer/dorman-bumper-front/460236_0_0/

This is great site ! Got a "02" Z-71 cladded pewter with 160K on it.

Got the same problem, clip broken and the boys step on the cupholder when they are getting in and out.

Went digging thru the auto drawer looking for the panel retainer clips I knew I had and found some like the one pictured in the center of the AutoZone link. The double cap works nice and slidse into the grove the original retainer clip fit in. A drop of super glue to childproof it and it works like a charm.

Thx guys !

http://www.autozone.com/screws-pins-and-clips/exterior-body-retainer/dorman-gm-panel-trim-retainer/461586_0_0/

Our latch was broken in our 2002 Avy when my father gave it to us.  The other part was still in the fold-down part of the cupholder, so hubby took it apart and glued it back together.  Yeah, that held well for about 2.5 seconds!  :rolleyes:

I hear that they break a lot, so I wound up going with one that some guy makes via 3D printing with black ABS.  They only run $12.99, have gotten a lot of good reviews, and offer a lifetime warranty; none of which GM can say about their latch.  I'll get it next week and will let you know how it works out for us. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88934982-LATCH-Truck-SUV-Cup-Holder-Latch-/171968793802?hash=item280a238cca:g:V8EAAMXQ74JTTvhk&vxp=mtr

Back