• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM Sound Quality

TIETANIC

I have a 04 with the factory TNR nav and Bose speakers which has the non-lux amp (basically the factory Bose setup and put in the TNR) and I have noticed a distinct difference between FM and XM.

I know the Bose system with the non-lux amp isn't wonderful, but the XM does not seem to have the "punch" that FM does.  Like it isn't being broadcast loud enough or with enough bass or something.

Is it possible that XM is not going through the amp for some reason?  Is that just the way XM is?

Never heard of a problem with XM going through an amp.  I don?t think it?s setup like that.  The amp would be to boost the power of the radio.  Let me do some checking and see if I can find something that will help you

TIETANIC said:
I have a 04 with the factory TNR nav and Bose speakers which has the non-lux amp (basically the factory Bose setup and put in the TNR) and I have noticed a distinct difference between FM and XM.

I know the Bose system with the non-lux amp isn't wonderful, but the XM does not seem to have the "punch" that FM does.? Like it isn't being broadcast loud enough or with enough bass or something.

Is it possible that XM is not going through the amp for some reason?? Is that just the way XM is?

I've noticed the same thing.  Wanted the thump from XM but don't get it.  Although 99.99999% of the time I listen to XM, I really enjoy the times I go to FM and hear the thump.

Yeah, it is like the Subwoofer doesn't turn on while in XM mode or something.  It sounds like it is barely coming out in stereo.  It is like listening to television.

Then when I turn it to FM, it sounds a lot better.

It isn't the EQ settings, all my channels (XM and FM) use CUSTOM.

did some quick looking and found a couple of things.

First there could be a problem with the XM receiver. ?Some other sites I looked on were talking about the XM's sound quality is due to compressed broadcasts. ?The stations may be using different compression methods, and bandwidth may vary from station to station causing you to hear a difference

I'm pretty sure the sound difference you are hearing is due to FM's higher quality broadcast.  XM is great, but quality sound just isn't there.

Loggie said:
did some quick looking and found a couple of things.

First there could be a problem with the XM receiver. ?Some other sites I looked on were talking about the XM's sound quality is due to compressed broadcasts. ?The stations may be using different compression methods, and bandwidth may vary from station to station causing you to hear a difference

Gotcha.  I wonder if they are working on that?  You would think they would want that to be a selling point, not a negative.

Thanks for looking  :D

Back