• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

6.0L: building a strong, dependable engine

k15goose

I read an article recently from nelson performance that claimed to add 100 proven rwhp to a silverado 5.3 with the following mods:
pacesetter headers
stage II cam package
custom tune
fm 40 muffler

The article:  http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front-page-news/12377-silverado-100-horsepower-performance-gain-budget.html

I'm starting with a 6.0L rated at 366 horses (according to the general) at the flywheel.  So can I assume 285 horses at the wheel?  I want to add as much hp and torque as possibe without maxing out my credit cards.  I was planning on the following mods:
pacesetter long tubes
stage II cam package from nelson
custon tune from nelson
flowmaster 40 muffler (thinking 2.5" piping????)
gmp air intake or aem brute force or fram boost??
NO tbi spacer (since many think its a waste of $$$)
maybe a ported and polished throttle body.

WHAT HP CAN I EXPECT TO PICK UP?  I want to get to 425 at the rear wheels or am I crazy?  I used to have a 93 2-door yukon that I carbuerated with headers/cam/exhaust that made just under 450.

WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD?  Bear in mind that this will not happen until January or February so I have time to change my mind.  It is going on an 08 lifted 4x4. 

If I want to go FI later (very unlikey) what would I have to change?  I'm assuming the exhaust and the tune.

k15goose said:
I read an article recently from nelson performance that claimed to add 100 proven rwhp to a silverado 5.3 with the following mods:
pacesetter headers
stage II cam package
custom tune
fm 40 muffler

The article:? http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front-page-news/12377-silverado-100-horsepower-performance-gain-budget.html

I'm starting with a 6.0L rated at 366 horses (according to the general) at the flywheel.? So can I assume 285 horses at the wheel?? I want to add as much hp and torque as possibe without maxing out my credit cards.? I was planning on the following mods:
pacesetter long tubes
stage II cam package from nelson
custon tune from nelson
flowmaster 40 muffler (thinking 2.5" piping????)
gmp air intake or aem brute force or fram boost??
NO tbi spacer (since many think its a waste of $$$)
maybe a ported and polished throttle body.

WHAT HP CAN I EXPECT TO PICK UP?? I want to get to 425 at the rear wheels or am I crazy?? I used to have a 93 2-door yukon that I carbuerated with headers/cam/exhaust that made just under 450.

WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD?? Bear in mind that this will not happen until January or February so I have time to change my mind.? It is going on an 08 lifted 4x4.?

If I want to go FI later (very unlikey) what would I have to change?? I'm assuming the exhaust and the tune.

425 rwhp with a cammed 6.0L on pump gas is optimistic without adding a small amount of nitrous.... I would think you could get there though with some careful planning... (y)

I love these threads... I learn so much and get different points of view

Let's put it this way.... Post #33

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,86447.20.html

That is with a cam and 7# of boost from someone who builds and tunes them every day....

Sure it is a 5.3L, and I am not saying the 425 rwhp on the 6L with a head/cam package can't be done... I am just saying it will require some fore thought.... (y)

I just got my LS6 springs and my 6.0L badge today.The badge will Give it a little more bling at the tailgate.Now I'm waiting for the cam.

I just received an e-mail from my buddy in Mass.
Subject: Got my twins today.

APS twin turbo setup for his 06 GTO.
NICE!!!!!!!

Flabouy:

can i at least hope for 400hp? 385?

how much did that cost (reply #33)?

if i to NA now, what will i have to change to go FI later?

If you look at the GM 364/440Hp for an example.or the 400HP LS2 6.0L

I'm sure with LS2 top end and a good cam,headers,CAI and a good tune.You should do that and more.

I'm gonna try the LQ9 with a Comp cam.It would give me a starting point anyway.

k15goose said:
Flabouy:

can i at least hope for 400hp? 385?

how much did that cost (reply #33)?

if i to NA now, what will i have to change to go FI later?

You can hope for anything you want...... >:D

There are a lot of ways to build out 425 rwhp.....? What I am alluding to, is do your homework based on a stated set of goals. There are literally hundreds of ways to get there.

What 6.0L are you starting with? LQ9 (or LQ4), LS2, or crate motor? They all have different strengths....

I started with a stock 5.3L... I now run a set of Patriot Stage 2 heads with 2.02/1.59 titanium Ferrea valves coupled with a custom grind on a Comp Cam and accelerated lift 1.85 rockers. My cam is a 216/224 indexed at 5* and provides a .589 lift with the rocker geometry.... I was running non-intercooled 12 psi on a basically stock motor making 403 rwhp when I added the cam and heads. That package coupled with the blower added over 100 HP on a crap tune... I do a bit better than that now with the addition of e-fans, aftercooler and a 2 bar tune...

I say all this to indicate that you can get there with a 5.3L or 6.0L... all it takes is a plan and a bag full of money....

I'm starting with the stock 6L which is a L76 code, I believe.  But basically this is a newer LQ9 if I'm right.  I think the only difference is the active fuel management.

Here I go again :E:

** First my disclaimer ***
I know nothing about motors I am new to this but after riding in a few of theses souped up av's 'I HAVE A WANT FOR SPEED'

Come early next Jan or Feb (Bonus time? >:D)? I'll have a budget of 15-20K. I don't know if it's best to work with what I got (5.3L) or do a motor swap. I have an unrealistic goal of 600HP at the rear wheels and I want to get my hands dirty in this project. I see the ZZ572's and LS1 crates and they have my mouth watering but in my novice mind I don't know how to go about the project. Granted a lot more than the motor will have to be beefed up so the money has to be spread around. The more I read ...the more I'm confused. So many ways to do this but I want to have a meaty reliable truck when I get done. I do not want to be creating any more problems for myself.

On top of this I have other mods that are eating at me but I've always wanted a blvd bruising muscle car. I'll settle for a muscle truck though.

Redleg said:
Here I go again :E:

** First my disclaimer ***
I know nothing about motors I am new to this but after riding in a few of theses souped up av's 'I HAVE A WANT FOR SPEED'

Come early next Jan or Feb (Bonus time? >:D)? I'll have a budget of 15-20K. I don't know if it's best to work with what I got (5.3L) or do a motor swap. I have an unrealistic goal of 600HP at the rear wheels and I want to get my hands dirty in this project. I see the ZZ572's and LS1 crates and they have my mouth watering but in my novice mind I don't know how to go about the project. Granted a lot more than the motor will have to be beefed up so the money has to be spread around. The more I read ...the more I'm confused. So many ways to do this but I want to have a meaty reliable truck when I get done. I do not want to be creating any more problems for myself.

On top of this I have other mods that are eating at me but I've always wanted a blvd bruising muscle car. I'll settle for a muscle truck though.

Remember to budget more than a motor when you go searching for 600 rwhp..... :wave:

I am not quite making that, but my truck is a dependable daily driver that spends a lot of time out of town and retains a nice quality ride..... so it can be done if one is careful......

FlaBouy said:
Remember to budget more than a motor when you go searching for 600 rwhp..... :wave:

I am not quite making that, but my truck is a dependable daily driver that spends a lot of time out of town and retains a nice quality ride..... so it can be done if one is careful......

No doubt I have been kicking this idea around now for 7 months and have gotten some great tips from you guys. I Know an av won't be the top dog on strip but it would be nice to not just roll over either. When ever I turn my glow on ricers, rams, and some full size Fords what to get all cocky and rev up their engines. It would nice for a few of them to eat dust.

in all honesty if all I wanted was the fastest car in town then I 'd building up something other than an av. Some would argue that it's a total waste of funds to do motor work on an av but  what the hell do they know?

Redleg said:
No doubt I have been kicking this idea around now for 7 months and have gotten some great tips from you guys. I Know an av won't be the top dog on strip but it would be nice to not just roll over either. When ever I turn my glow on ricers, rams, and some full size Fords what to get all cocky and rev up their engines. It would nice for a few of them to eat dust.

in all honesty if all I wanted was the fastest car in town then I 'd building up something other than an av. Some would argue that it's a total waste of funds to do motor work on an av but? what the hell do they know?

Money is wasted in many forms..... but I believe that money spent on bringing joy in any form is not money wasted... :wave:

The L76 would be the aluminum 6.0L 366HP. Don't know if it has the same heads as the 6.2L Caddy with 403HP.

Motion427 said:
The L76 would be the aluminum 6. 0L 366HP. Don't know if it has the same heads as the 6. 2L Caddy with 403HP.

I have a 6. 0L just purchased (9/20/07).   How do I find out which engine it is?  Also, gotta say, so far my engine is not overly impressive with 2300 miles.

FlaBouy said:
Here's mine........

How did you work in the 427?  Obviously a new computer...but what about the tranny?The rear end?Exhaust?  What other mods did you have to do to make everything work?  1500AV or 2500AV?

ms38w said:
How did you work in the 427?? Obviously a new computer...but what about the tranny?The rear end?Exhaust?? What other mods did you have to do to make everything work?? 1500AV or 2500AV?

He hasn't yet but with the exception of his rear diff, he's already setup to take the power on it.  No computer change would ne needed only the tune and he does his own tuning.

Does anyone with an 07 or 08 happen to know the 3 digit casting number stamped into the heads of the 6.0L engine?  I really need to know.

Back