• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to repair/replace my tailgate lock?

blittleu

How easy is it to replace a tailgate lock on a 2003 Z66 Chevy Avalanche?  My tailgate functions properly (it open and closes without any problems).  However, when I put the key in the lock to lock the tailgate, the key lock doesn't turn (so I can't lock the gate).  Thanks in advance for any advice.

do you have any pics of the back side?

Not hard if it's the cylinder.
Drop the gate down the two smaller torx screw will loose the bezel. You then pull off the bezel. The lower portion of the bezel use those molded plastic trees. There two of them.
Lock cylinder is in the bezel.

sounds like the cylinder was changed and therefore does not work w/ the ignition key....I'd bet you can pull the cylinder and take it to a locksmith and have him check it out and re-key it, if necessary.
should be cheap (and easy).
goodluck!

RENORCR said:
Not hard if it's the cylinder.
Drop the gate down the two smaller torx screw will loose the bezel. You then pull off the bezel. The lower portion of the bezel use those molded plastic trees. There two of them.
Lock cylinder is in the bezel.

I try that, thanks

I tried several times to fix my broken tail gate lock. I finally had a remote tailgate lock / unlock installed that works off of the FOB. It was installed at a GTG over a year ago and has worked flawless. If you are interested in it contact member JohnBChef. It was a very inexpensive mod and I love it.

Great suggestion...:E: why didn't I think of that!

as I said, I am having the same problem. My lock has always worked with my ignition key up until today. I was about to go make a purchase at Lowe's and first the lock hesitated or resisted. Then once trying again, my key no longer went inside of the lock but halfway. Key is good, drove the truck home. Wife's key wouldn't go in all the way either. My Wife called the Chevy dealership here in town and they said it sounded like the tumbler/cylinder and between the part and the labor that it would be about $600 to keep the lock factory. I was able to find on a website how to break into the tailgate with a screwdriver and was able to do so without scratching or cracking anything, but now my lock will not lock, it's more there for decoration.

I was wondering about how much the FOB entry lock was that you were speaking of and how easy of an install is it?

You could try some PB Blaster in it, you can get it at Lowes

I was about to say an easy job gut you guys already covered that. The re-keying if a new lock is a great ideal so you can use the ignition key on it like off the factory line. About 5 dollars roughly to rekey, maybe cheaper than that.

Loudernu:

I had the exact same problem with my Avalanche yesterday.  This happens if the L-shaped metal piece on the back of the (elderly) key cylinder allows the squarish metal loop (the mechanism that moves down for unlocked or up for locked) to pop up a little, then suddenly the handle acts like it's locked and the key goes in halfway and that's it.  I'd have to reach under the handle and push the square thing back down into the unlocked position.  Pain in the neck.

Since the Chevy dealer wanted $175 JUST for the lock cylinder AND ANOTHER $75 to rekey it, my mechanic put a little spring on the squarish metal loop to keep it held down when it should stay down.  Works perfectly!

Local lock smith will have them.. I paid less than $30 for mine...

If you look on the inside of the tailgate you will see 5 screws.. Unscrew the 2 similar ones (I think they are smaller or maybe bigger than the other three) Once you remove those screws the surrounding area around the handle will pull right off.. The other three screws hold the lock mech in place.

On mine the mech was corroded and sticky.. It actually is starting to stick again on me...
Chances are you just need to clean and lubricate your mechanism and don't need a new lock.

If you pull off the surround you can see the whole mechanism. I ended up spraying the heck out of it with PB Blaster and working the handle and the lock by hand until they moved freely. Then I used some T-9 Silicon based Bicycle chain oil to lubricate it. I think the factory uses a lithium grease so if you do use a spray lubricant be prepared to continue to do so every so often. Especially after rain.

The Mechanism CAN be replaced but if you do you want to do it with the gate removed so if you lose the release rods inside the gate when you remove the mechanism you can get to them. (Otherwise to release the tailgate you end up having to break the tail lights to access the back of the pins.)

Note that WD-40 and PB Blaster are NOT lubricants and are only intended to break things free. You want to use a nice silicon or lithium type of lubricant to last longer.

Rodney

Ok the locking mechanism still works with or without a lock in place... It is a C shaped opening at the end of the locking bar.

Rodney

Back