• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

02'-06' Avalanche Owners....How's YOUR Gas Mileage?

blackbeauty

I've been drooling of the 2007 owner?s similar post, and their results, and wondering if there is something wrong with my AV.

I recently completed a trip to GA roughly 677 734.6 miles round trip, and I was only able to get 415-465 miles to a full tank of gas. Of course I'm still on my second tank and according to my "range" indication I can make it another 104 miles, with 7 gallons left out of the 31 gallon tank. I'm currently at 361 miles off of my second fillup. The first tank I filled up when my personal trip indication showed I had used 26 gallons of gas and I had reach 397 miles.? (I?m going from memory so my numbers may not be exact)

The Entire Trip:
734.6 Miles
50.1 Gallons
14.7 MPG
45 Avg MPH

Now my trip computer shows that I'm averaging 14.6-14.8 miles per gallon. According to my DIC my Average Econ is 13.8 MPG.? This is horrible, but considering my AV is 3 years old with 46K on it, I believe this has been my average the entire time.? I never recall making it over 405 miles without my little red light coming on and wondering how much further I can make it.

Is this typical? How many miles are the rest of you 02-06 owners getting on a tank of gas?? If it?s over 15-16 miles to the gallon? HOW??

the last time I checked my milage was before my cluster readout went blank and before I went to a smaller tire diameter.  Still haven't bothered to get the cluster repaired or the speedo programed for the smaller tires...

last check was around 133K miles, 02 Z66 with 22's (305/40/22 at the time).  I consistantly got 17-18 mpg on the highway.  Thats driving around 80-85 mph, A/C on.

I usually don't drive to get great mpg.  I drive to get where I'm going.  If mpg is an issue, I take the Cavalier.

flat highway keeping the speed around 65 I can get 20 or better
mountains will be around 16.5
around town 13.5

In my "05"  running 4.10's I get an average 16 around town/freeway......If i'm on a trip, freeway only I get 19  And thats with me doing 75/80mph.  When was the last time you looked at your air filter? 

I avg a combined 18 in my '06. Highway is around 20-21 as long as I am not TOO bad  >:D In addition to your air, might want to check the PCV, any vacuum hoses, and I know this sounds obvious, but tire pressure all around. Mine decided to sneak down on my last year and even though they looked ok, 2 were about 6-7 pounds low. Some really good fuel system treatment might help too.

grnxnam said:
I usually don't drive to get great mpg. I drive to get where I'm going. If mpg is an issue, I take the Cavalier.

Getting great mileage in the AV is not the point, I have a protege for daily commuting as well.? My concern is if there is something that I can do, without having to modify the motor, that can improve my gas mileage.? Especially with others reporting 16-20 MPG and with gas being so expensive. My past trip I stayed between 75-81mph and I don't have a terrible heavy foot, and most of it was highway miles.?

avid4x4er412 said:
In my "05" running 4.10's I get an average 16 around town/freeway......If i'm on a trip, freeway only I get 19 And thats with me doing 75/80mph. When was the last time you looked at your air filter?

As far as the filter and everything...... :rolleyes: I typically rely on the dealer to check all of those things when I go in to get an oil change.? I know I know.....? :E:

Raceman said:
Sounds normal to me Thats about what I get

I was beginning to worry and think I was the only one.? Still it brings up some concern that others are getting such good gas mileage.? Both my trip computer and calculating mileage have never shown that I've ever gotten over 16MPG.? I don't go by the DIC instantaneous MPG bc that thing is all over the place.? Like I said I at the most will get 405 miles and the red gas light starts coming on.? This last trip was the first time I set my trip computer and monitored Miles, Gallons, and MPG.

Skyview said:
I avg a combined 18 in my '06. Highway is around 20-21 as long as I am not TOO bad? >:D In addition to your air, might want to check the PCV, any vacuum hoses, and I know this sounds obvious, but tire pressure all around. Mine decided to sneak down on my last year and even though they looked ok, 2 were about 6-7 pounds low. Some really good fuel system treatment might help too.

Unfortunately when it comes to anything mechanical nothingis obvious, and honestly I haven't checked my tire pressure since I had my new wheels installed. In the past I've only adjusted air pressure for ride comfort.  And for the past year I've add STP fuel treatment every 6000 miles.

I have an '05 with 54K miles.  My driving is around town with short distances on limited access roads.  I'm consistently getting around 550 mles to a tank and around 17 mpg.  I don't lead foot it, but I use the accelerator as needed, too! :D  The car I traded for this AV was a 1999 Suburban which got 12 mpg, so needless to say, I'm pleased!

Your 22s will decrease your MPG.. ?At best I get 16 to 17, but its an 02 with 112k and 4.10s.. ?So actually that is very good.. ?Some mods I put in didnt help with that aspect thats for sure.. ?My mileage was better with the stock tires..

2002 Chevy Av Z71 with 43k
I get about 17 on the hwy and around 14 in town. I have only used it once to go out of town though. Since I bought it about a year ago I only put 2000 miles on it :B:

my o5 still from day one with 4:10's gets an average of 17-18 city and 20 highway .there are alot of varables. Tire pressure , AC on or off , led foot or not , road condictions uphill and down hills , size tires you put on it , how well your vehicle is waxed , driving with or against the wind, air filter clean or not , on and on and on so I think everyone is going to get a different MPG depends on the individual person.just my .02

drive under 60 mph using cruise control you can get over 16 mpg....

ygmn said:
drive under 60 mph using cruise control you can get over 16 mpg....

LOL and it will take me forever to get where I'm going......

shandar said:
my o5 still from day one with 4:10's gets an average of 17-18 city and 20 highway .there are alot of varables. Tire pressure , AC on or off , led foot or not , road condictions uphill and down hills , size tires you put on it , how well your vehicle is waxed , driving with or against the wind, air filter clean or not , on and on and on so I think everyone is going to get a different MPG depends on the individual person.just my .02

That is impressive.  I've got to ask the dumb questions "What are 4:10's??"

I know there are lots of variables that affect the average MPG, but I never stopped to think about wheel size making that big of a difference,  Even with my 20" tires, I don't recall getting better mileage. I'll just have to start paying attention to the little things.

Ironbutt1345 said:
I'm consistently getting around 550 mles to a tank and around 17 mpg.

:eek:...WOW  Wanna trade??

those posting mpg above 16 are going under 65 mph...

you will get where you are going and it will take a bit more time is all..

your choice.. time or MPG?

ygmn said:

Oh I completely understand that...its just hard to believe that there are some that drive under 65 mph on the highways.  In cities like Atlanta driving 65mph will get you ran over or have everyone on your butt.  Even in the rural areas where I'm located, 65mph on a major highway where the posted speed limit is 70mph is not common at all. But believe me I do get it.  Its just interesting to see everyone results.

You guy's are lucky my 2500 I think it uses the gallons per hour method you can sit in traffic, or a freeway at 75 mph it's still the same.

When? I'm holding 70mph, I get 17.6mpg on ratio 3.73 @ 2200 rpm. On P265/70-17.
I've done enough trips between Los Angeles and Vegas that's consistant. Even with the occassional take it up to 90mph.
In town it avg between 14-15mph.

Now running on LT285/75-16. I'm hwy 16mpg city 13mpg. I havn't recalibrate speedo for tires yet.

Sidenote: I did try going 65mph late at night, got 18mpg. But I was traveling/talking with truckers. Made the night go by quicker.

ygmn said:

Not me  >:D OK..usually not much over 75...

BB, 4.10 refers to the rear end gear ratio. 4.10's will cause you to have a higher rpm at any given speed than 3.43, 3.73, etc.

my 03 never gets better than 15  (n)

Well I know mine is accurate for my needs and I do keep an "Engine Logbook". I record Hours, Mileage, gallons filled w/ dates. Old habits from aviation days.

Skyview said:
Not me? >:D OK..usually not much over 75...

BB, 4.10 refers to the rear end gear ratio. 4.10's will cause you to have a higher rpm at any given speed than 3.43, 3.73, etc.

I would suppose this ratio is altered once larger wheels are put on a vehicle, is there anyway of counteracting this without major modification? 

MPG really takes a hit over 70mph. I just got back today from a 2500 mi trip to Illinois. ('06 Z66 with 3.42 gears) I zeroed out the DIC when I left and never looked at it until going through Dallas (a little over 200mi). What with traffic and some construction I hadn't hit 70 too many times but couldn't believe it when I looked and it said 22.9! I was hoping to see it hit 23, but by then we were East of Dallas, traffic had cleared some and it was 70 mph cruising and it started dropping. By the time I got to Il. it was at 21.2. Coming back it was up and down a few tenths depending on conditions. Was down to a low of 20.8 and got back to 21 by the time I pulled in the driveway.
After my trip to NY last Fall I left it set and gradually, with around a 60/40 city/hiway mix, it was down to the high 17's.

Back