• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Questions for the AV racers...

DaytonaZ71

Silent Avalanche RIP
SM 2007
A couple questions for those who run 1/4 mile: Power, gearing and weight are obviously major components in getting a decent time and have been discussed at length and although the speeds are very impressive for an Avalanche, at what point does aerodynamic drag become a limiting factor?
Has anyone done any calculations concerning drag coefficient, frontal area, etc. to see how much horsepower is being used at higher speeds?

Kinda hard to do without wind tunnel...

As that is how one fnds what changes to front end will do in the breeze....

The drag coefficient has been discussed here before.  To my knowledge nobody has ever come up with it.

Personally, I think fighting the wind is minor to fighting the weight of these things but as the old lady said as she was peeing in the ocean, "every little bit helps".  ;D

These trucks will never be fast enough for aerodynamic drag to be an issue. Like Bob said the weight is the big issue to overcome. By the time you get to the point where drag becomes an issue, you'll be long past the finish line. The key is getting them to move as quickly off the line as possible. The higher the torque the better. Good 60' and 1/8 mile times are the key. Then rely on horsepower to keep you moving to get a higher MPH.

Our trucks are aerodynamically challenged :p

I would suggest that theoretical calculations are not well recieved on these boards..... :wave:

FlaBouy said:
I would suggest that theoretical calculations are not well recieved on these boards..... :wave:
voice of experience?

grnxnam said:
voice of experience?

Naw... I don't know anything about racing or our trucks....... :wave:

I just remember reading that somewhere........ :D

Have to excuse my curiousity (or not) was watching some of the truck races at the New Smyrna GTG and noticed they all had some pretty sophisticated ground effects and were running on a track that didn't really let them go that fast, got me thinking that maybe i'd see what would be the effect of drastically lowering the front end at the track and throwing on some really skinny front tires but wanted to know if it had already been tried.

lowering will help to some degree as you reduce the frontal cross section area and decrease drag....

now this will help in top end not first 60'

DaytonaZ71 said:
Have to excuse my curiousity (or not) was watching some of the truck races at the New Smyrna GTG and noticed they all had some pretty sophisticated ground effects and were running on a track that didn't really let them go that fast, got me thinking that maybe i'd see what would be the effect of drastically lowering the front end at the track and throwing on some really skinny front tires but wanted to know if it had already been tried.

and then a full tub with shortened 9" in the rear..yeah..now your talking Tim! :D

Back