• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Computer Modifications / Chips

C

Cuss

We might as well round out the performance upgrade subject with a discussion on chips as well as air intake and exhaust systems. Has anyone added a performance chip or reprogrammed the factory computer?

On chips and such - the AV is new - not much out there that is proven. Makes a big difference wether you are 1500/5.3L of 2500/8.1L. The 1500 has some things that should work - 2500 still iffy.

The real question is what are you trying to do.

Speed limiter - Rev limiter - WOT shift points?

The Hyperprogrammer might do these things - pricey - a lot of folks have had unpleasent surprises when the found out that it only did a subset of the list.

Jet Performance has toys that do many of the things you want - check them out - I can't recommend from experience yet.

FIPK, headers and cat back will probably get you more till the dust settles.

Beware the "reprogrammers" - check threads on other boards - could be hazardous to your health.

My understanding is that, by law, CHIPS,etc. may only modify the standard settings at "wide open throttle" (WOT). ?At anything less, the advance curve, fuel mixture, etc. must maintain factory specs in order to comply with emissions requirements. ?At WOT these settings may be modified slightly, thus the claims for more Hosepower, and faster accelleration times. ?The fact is it will only be noticeable on a dragstrip. ?If you are towing a very heavy trailer and spend a great deal of time at WOT it may also help. ?Otherwise, for 99% of your driving there will be no difference. ?I may be mis-informed, but this information came from a usually reliable source.

Nicely put - thats why you should be leary of anyone that is going to chip you to accross the board miracles.

Just received this via email today.

New Product Release!

Hypertechs Power Programer III is now available for all 2002 Chevy/GMC Truck Engines including the massive 8.1L! The Power Programmer increases engine horsepower and torque by advancing spark timing and changing the fuel curve. Further options include: raising the vehicles Top Speed Limiter that is set at around 100 Mph from the factory as well as recalibrating the speedometer for tire size or axle ratio changes. The Programmer is as easy to use as an ATM machine and does not require the use of any tools. Once the Program is complete the Programmer is removed and can be used to reprogram at any time. The Programmer does not void factory warranty and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

Click Here to buy yours now!

Plus, take an aditional 5% OFF* all
orders using the coupon code below!
Just redeem this coupon online in the shopping cart
or give it to your salesperson when you call!
Customer ID: 5 OFF Coupon Code: 417839

To order online
Click Here Or Call
1-800-719-8100
*Excludes Superchargers, Banks products, and items already on sale.

Click Here To Be Removed From Our Mailing List

Ah So - isn't Email marketing wonderful - yes, they have finally cracked the Allison problem - thats why the had the 5.3 version available months ago. Based on inumerable customer complaints they finally put up a matrix of what works and what doesn't GM Comparison - presumably this announcement updates this chart[?].

The real issue here is what are you trying to do. On the 5.3 it will probably work well enough - assuming that you spend a lot of time @ WOT [wide open throttle] - read "drag strip" - it will adjust your timing to allow you to use 93 octane, pay more and get better performance. The speed limiter is nice and the shift point adjustment of +6 helps at the track [WOT]

I apologize if I seem negative, really just disappointed. The real issue with the Vortec & 4L60E or 4L80E-HD is the engine shutdown during shifts - about .6 secs - tranny should be able to do it in .3 - thats where you lose it. Only a custom chip can fix the torque management issue and they are NOT for the feint of heart.

Sometime this year, when i find a tranny shop I trust, I will install a new torque converter and reprogram the 4L80E - experiences will follow.

I bought the Hypertec Power Programmer for My 5.3 equiped Av.. I needed to Reprogram for My Larger Wheels, and tires..., so thought Id give it a try.., Here's the results..., progamming for the wheels, and tires worked fine., also cured a quirk with the anti lock brakes., that happened when I put on the Lager Wheels and tires, because of the change in wheel speed, anti lock was activating when it shouldn't have been..., fine now..., Shift point programming worked well.., interestingly enough.., it also altered the part throttle shift points.., something I wanted to do.., but you have to play with it., to get the results you want..., I used the Mid Shift Frimness settings worked well.., and still shifts smoothly during normal driving... I installed the 180 Degree Powerstat thermostat.., something you need to do..., to get the most from the Power tuning.., engine runs cooler, and fools the Puter to add a bit more fuel.., so timing can be advanced more.. I used the 93 octane power program.., did not notice any differance in low, or mid range power.., but noticed a Definite increase in top end power.... I have now just added a Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer, and a Volant Cold Air intake Kit...., I have now noticed a Very Good Increase in Low End, and Mid Range Power., also Better Top End Power to.., as You add more things together., the Engine begins to Breath Better., and starts to make Power., just as it should.., no one change will do it.., but as they all begin to work together.., things start coming into place.., Exhaust will be My next Mod..., when the engine has more miles on it, and I feel comfortable with it being solid..., I will add the Ultimate Mod., Pressurize the intake with a Supercharger.., Probably a Whipple Charger., nothing to a True Roots Blower to Make Torque!

Butch said:
... I will add the Ultimate Mod., Pressurize the intake with a Supercharger.., Probably a Whipple Charger., nothing to a True Roots Blower to Make Torque!

Nicely put, thanks for the report. Your right on with the Whipple, take it from an owner - varooom ;D

I have a Z71 4x4 Red with every option, lifted 4", 35" tires, I love it! Lots of looks from people. I just had the Power Programmer installed in it. I read what Butch wrote about the Power Programmer. But was told by 2 different shops (and called the company myself, they said wasn't necessary) that changing to the 180 degree Powerstat thermostat was not necessary. That they haven't found a difference in performance having it or not. I seem to have much more power at take off and freeway driving, every time I look down I'm doing 85 without much effort. Next thing I was thinking of doing was the K&N performance filter pack. Thanks for all the info.

Yes.., I bought the Hypertec pp3..., I got it at My local speed shop.., paid 279 dollors for it., but it lists for like 320 dollors.., I installed the 180 Power Stat., its suppose to help with the Power Tuning.., dont know if it makes a big difference or not.., but I prefer running the engine cooler anyway., so I would have changed the Stat either way.., the programming is easy to do..., You do have to disable the On-Star if You have it during the programming.., or it can foul-up the programming.., its easy to do., one fuse on My truck did it., in the Master fuse box in the engine compartment.., theres instructions in the Hypertec manual on how to do it.. It works great for reprogramming for Larger tires, and Gear changes to..., Hope this helps... Butch

A word of caution to anyone who may be considering installing a 180 degree thermostat WITHOUT modifying the computer. The computer will be expecting the engine to operate at at least 195 degrees. With a 180 degree stat and no modification it MAY keep the truck in "warm up mode", with a rich mixture, etc. This could be very detrimental to your gas mileage as well as emissions.

Guest said:
I have a Z71 4x4 Red with every option, lifted 4", 35" tires, I love it! Lots of looks from people. I just had the Power Programmer installed in it. I read what Butch wrote about the Power Programmer. But was told by 2 different shops (and called the company myself, they said wasn't necessary) that changing to the 180 degree Powerstat thermostat was not necessary. That they haven't found a difference in performance having it or not. I seem to have much more power at take off and freeway driving, every time I look down I'm doing 85 without much effort. Next thing I was thinking of doing was the K&N performance filter pack. ?Thanks for all the info.

hey guest user,

if you ever read this, i have a few questions for you. I have a 4" lift as well, with 33's, but i want to throw on a set of 35's. also i bought my Av from the dealer with the 33's, so would i need to reprogram for that as well, or wait for the 35's?

please PM me when you get a chance with a username or email i could respond with, thanks!

any body use superchips? i was looking into this because it is a custom tailored tunning chip. i was wondering if it is better than the hypertech and if it did the same things as the hypertech. thanks. Alex

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have extensive experience with installing & tuning "standalone" engine management systems-Electromotive TEC, MOTEC, Haltech, etc. My experience in the past has been limited to Mazda rotary race engines (I own a raceteam/prep shop specializing in rotary engines) but we recently purchased a 1500 series AV as a support vehicle and have been considering the performance upgrade options. Naturally I am considering installing a TEC3 to improve both towing fuel economy and performance. Though some tech heads might be interested in these systems.
For more info on Electromotive - visit www.getfuelinjected.com

i would like to purchase the PP3 and the 180 degree stat, where are you guys buys buying these? and what prices should i expect?

any deals you guys know of would be great, thanks fellas!!! :)

Back