• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hypertech PP3

zeeya2000

Charter Member
SM 2003
Got to check out top end today with trusty cb and 3-18 wheelers running look out for me. Programmed at 87 octane power tuning and raised shift points and rev limiter as well as speed limiter.
It did not take long to get to the shut off at 128, but make sure you have you hand on the parachute release.

Could not resist with the 3 big trucks running front door and not a car in site in front for a ways......... i no crazy, but i had to try it one time. Curiousity satisfied. through with that.
HPP3 did impress me as i have not noticed that much difference on my other vehicles i have put in on....my 2cents worth....
zeeya

;DAs usual you are right, again..... Was not thinking about it in that way, but it is true,,,,,,,,,,,,,GM takes over once you reach limiter................

If I'm not mistaken..doens't stylinconcepts offer some sort of chip tuner that adjust shift points not only at WOT...but through the whole RPM band...I recently went to go look it up and it looks like they removed some products from their lineup....anyone have any suggestions... :)

Guys,
If I may show my ignorance... what is "WOT" ?. Just curious. Thank you.

WOT=Full throttle(air peddle to the floor board) ;D

Technically WOT = wide open throttle - not neccessarily where you want to be with a "drive by wire" engine - the PCM starts doing strange things, like protecting itself and the driveline. This is where the dreaded Torque Management comes into play - you may find that you get better results by sneaking up on it.

I know, sounds a little stupid, but works. ;D

gandolphxx said:
Technically WOT = wide open throttle - not neccessarily where you want to be with a "drive by wire" engine - the PCM starts doing strange things, like protecting itself and the driveline. This is where the dreaded Torque Management comes into play - you may find that you get better results by sneaking up on it.

I know, sounds a little stupid, but works. ;D

he is right, it is better to sneek up on WOT than to just hit the pedal to the metal. you're tranny wont stall and have the computer runnin a muk just to compensate...

my $.2...

So did you top out at 128 and hold it there or did the engine shut down at 128?

I'm curious what will happen when I try it on the Beltway here near DC... :eek:

Looks out for the "S" turns on that DC beltway! I would not want to see how the AV takes the Jersey wall at 128!!

...just my .02 cents!

:cry:It definitly shut down at 128 and i just let off and let it coast down, then started braking, braking, braking,,,,,,,,,could not find the parachute cord.
I tried it to see if it would shut down, i do not think i would ever try to keep it at that speed for any length of time due to speed rating on tires...
zeeya

Just received mine via FedEx and installed some new settings. I have to say that I may have had my hopes too high based on what I have read here.

I wasn't impressed. Sure, there are some noticable changes, like the rev limit and the top end cut off.

Overall I don't see much improvement. I was especially hoping for something noticable with the Shift Firmness set to 'Improved'.

I changed my shift points 1-2 +5, 2-3 +10, 3-4 +0.
I set the Performance tuning to 87 Octane and I am running 50% 92 and 50% 87.

I set the Rev limit to 6100.

Hmmmmpf.

I think it may be one of those subjective things, but I did notice a significant improvement in the shift firmness. I also set up for the 93 octane.

It is not an earth-shattering difference, but I do think it is much improved (at least to the point that I am glad I bought the HPP3, pricey though it is!). Maybe mine had a programming glitch originally,or maybe the enthusiasm from the group did set you up...

--BN

I would have to say that it's probably due to the 87 Octane which I haven't tried. ?I also have my Power Programmed for high octane.

I'm running straight 93 Octane from Mobil

jasgot said:
Just received mine via FedEx and installed some new settings. I have to say that I may have had my hopes too high based on what I have read here.

I wasn't impressed. ?Sure, there are some noticable changes, like the rev limit and the top end cut off.

Overall I don't see much improvement. ?I was especially hoping for something noticable with the Shift Firmness set to 'Improved'.

I changed my shift points 1-2 +5, 2-3 +10, 3-4 +0.
I set the Performance tuning to 87 Octane and I am running 50% 92 and 50% 87.

I set the Rev limit to 6100.

Hmmmmpf.
Hey jasgot,
Have you done other mods in addition to the PP3? I got the PP3 only after the cat-back exhaust, TBS and K&N FIPK. I could see that without these power-enhancing mods, you might not see as much from the PP3 alone. Just a thought. :) :)

RPH

Interesting enough....That is the one thing I need desperately adjusted on my Av...my shift points....not really happy with my current config....

Much of the drivtrain improvement can be gained in other ways - look at Drivetrain - I have references to Yank, Transgo, Jet Performance and some articles there. ;D

zeeya2000 said:
;DAs usual you are right, again..... Was not thinking about it in that way, but it is true,,,,,,,,,,,,,GM takes over once you reach limiter................

Actually, I was not correct - it appears that you can move it to at least 288 kph (180 mph) limit with LS1Edit on the 2000 model year PCM's - any body want to try? ;D

Hey..G...there would be differences between the 5.3 and 8.1? ???

As best I can tell you can get these products for the 4L60E [1500] and the 4L80E [2500] - just different models - same for 2wd vs 4x4 - these approaches will firm up the drivetrain all of the time and improve performance - not for your grandmothers 4x4.

They aren't cheap and are not doit yourself for most, but a good tranny shop can do the job pretty easy. ;D

NB: If you do a converter swap please read the fine print on towing capacity - the 2600 is as far as you should go unless your into pro racing!!! :eek:

G man...I couldn't resist I shot over to your page and read up on the Yank torque converter....then I clicked on the link that took be to tbyrne...and read some more.....this sound like a definite future mod.....

They even have a stealth mode converter available for anyone who is scared of he warranty grim reaper.....If I understood correctly, in achieving this mod with a torque converter you wouldn't need to reprogram for gear shifts right? Basically that's what your improving already......

They are little pricey...but how much would a tranny place charge to install one of these babies?... :D

The wheels are a spinnin' :D :D :cool:

I don't have a good answer on install cost - I am still interviewing shops. I have a note from a young fellow in Belieze that did one:

"I received converter on wednesday, and started to install on thursday. ?MTI is right, I had to remove torsion bars, both drive shafts, transmission crossmember, exhaust headpipes, starter, transmission lines, dipstick,and all electrical connecters. Me and my helper finished Friday afternoon, but I used all hand tools and no air tools, so that adds a lot of time to the job.
?My impressions of the converter is excellent, it did exactly what I wanted, which is more torque when taking off from stops. ?I don't have any time slips, because there are no race tracks down here but I know by the seat meter, I got significant gains!"

You can guess at cost from that description or drive to Belieze and see if he will help ;D

When I do the Yank [torque converter] 2600HD I will most likely do either a Transgo or Jet Performance Powershift upgrade at the same time - this pretty much deals with the "firmness" issue. ;D

Question for all you HPP3 folks - when you remove the speed limiter does the speedometer register above 100 when you go above 100 if you have the Denali or Escalade cluster? ;D

The reason I am asking is that the Jet Performance SCU 2000 doesn't - it appears to just fake it in the high 90 range and let you keep going - you have to ask the radar mountie what the speed was. ;D Not complaining as I just wanted it out of the way for testing and the track - get my mph on the slip and from my Tazzo. :D

gandolphxx said:
Question for all you HPP3 folks - when you remove the speed limiter does the speedometer register above 100 when you go above 100 if you have the Denali or Escalade cluster? ;D

The reason I am asking is that the Jet Performance SCU 2000 doesn't - it appears to just fake it in the high 90 range and let you keep going - you have to ask the radar mountie what the speed was. ;D Not complaining as I just wanted it out of the way for testing and the track - get my mph on the slip and from my Tazzo. :D

The answer is Yes. ?Of course, the cluster only reads up to 120 MPH, but it works just fine. ?

Back