• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Superchargers And Water Injection

gandolphxx

Charter Member
Now that the hot weather is upon us, this may be of interest to those brave folks that have supercharged their beast - got to admire the simplicity of using an age old trick with todays technology - and once again raises the issue of the engine that runs on water.
Here are a couple of good references on the subject:

Superchargers and water injection - may answer some of your questions.:D

Here is another that provides even more detail Aquamist system review

animation1.gif
>:D

Funny You should post this gandolphxx.., Ive been looking at a kit Myself.., this one looks like it might be better though.., although I really would like to install an intercooler.., they work Great on the boat engines..., Whipple says that they will have one for the 5.3.., do they have one for the 8.1 ?

Yes, the 8.1L has an intercooler option - still considering and trying to get details of the install. I am intrigued with the water injection though - seems like it make sense. >:D

What would be your added hp gains with an intercooler as opposed to not running one?....

When I was in the USAF, I was an electrician on KC-135 aircraft. This refeuling aircraft used water-injection for extra take-off thrust when carrying an extra heavy fuel load.

As soon as you turn on the water pumps, the noise from the engines about doubled. Doing a "water-run" as it was called required 2 certified engine mechanics to ride the brakes as these aircraft could easily jump the 6" high wheel chalks! I'm not sure of the specifics, but I am guessing this wuold be a pretty decent boost.

Aside from the increased noise, another side-effect was a darker and larger cloud of exhaust smoke.

Jamie

The Intercooler NJAV...., cools the intake air charge, after it has been compressed by the Supercharger.., depending on the size, and design of the unit., it can cool the air charge by 20 to 70 degrees.., it can add Power.., especially because it allows more Boost to be added, without getting Detonation..., but I would want it, just to be sure Detonation was not Occurring..., Water Injection also does the same thing.......

NJAV said:
What would be your added hp gains with an intercooler as opposed to not running one?....

Adding to Butch's post, it also gives you consistent performance across the board, protects the engine and your investment.

The water injection can also give you an octane boost by spiking it with methanol. >:D

Would it make sense to run a boost guage inside the cabin...with maybe another gauge for manifold pressure.....I know it is common for the turbos to run these gauges....I don't know if the same theories would apply with a supercharged unit vs. a turbocharged application.... :)

NJAV said:
Would it make sense to run a boost guage inside the cabin...with maybe another gauge for manifold pressure.....I know it is common for the turbos to run these gauges....I don't know if the same theories would apply with a supercharged unit vs. a turbocharged application.... :)

I guess I could, just not sure what the value is other than knowing, I don't believe that I can affect it? Have to think about it.

Im probably going to put one on NJAV.., just to know.., but it is basically a fixed amount of Boost..., I was Warned by Whipple though....., since Im going to be using My Hypertec Program for My Tire size Recalibration.., to not set the Rev Limiter beyound 5900 R.P.M. as Over Boost would occur.... Oh for anyone interested.., You can use the Hyperetec Programmer with the Whipple Charger..., but only for Speedo, Tire size Recalibration, and Shift Firmness.., not any of the Engine Power Tuning Programming, as this would cause Detonation problems, or Over Boost......

jamie said:
When I was in the USAF, I was an electrician on KC-135 aircraft. This refeuling aircraft used water-injection for extra take-off thrust when carrying an extra heavy fuel load.

Hey Jamie,

I was in the USAF for 10 years! I was in the tower one day when we had a 135 rolling for takeoff. Got just about in front of us when the H2O failed!!! Pilot radioed, "we just lost the water ... we're committed ....." it was a LONG time before we heard from him again.

Aircraft went off the end off the runway. Fortunately the west end of the runway was raised above the beach line. The aircraft dropped about 20ft as it flew off the end of the pavement and dropped outta site for a second. Only to suddenly reappear ONLY feet off of the water heading due WEST across the China Sea!!! So low that the aircraft couldn't raise the nose or bank to the side to gain altitude!! We lost sight of it behind an ENORMOUS water spray cloud kicked up by the jet wash!

End the end the pilot was able to finally get enough air under the wings to lift off the water. The next time we heard from him he simply said ".... we are scrubbing the mission .... returning to base".

He spent a long time at the O club bar that night!

Tom

teking said:
He spent a long time at the O club bar that night!

Tom

I bet that was after he changed his shorts!

I wouldn't worry about that at the track, don't plan to launch that hard. >:D

Back