• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

pulling power

brock_07

how can i get better towing power? and also faster off the start all in one?

moneys not realy a thing right now give me sumthing for a mid range

Well you could start with getting the computer reprogrammed using Predator or HP tuners, then a Cold air intake like a K&N, and of course exhuast sytem.....changing out the stock torque convertor helps a bunch, then after that you are probably looking at forced induction....like turbo or procharger...I listed those ideas cheapest to most expensive......use the serach feature on this forum, you will find a bunch of info!!

If it were me (meaning this is an opinion) I would do the air intake (K&N or other) and the exhaust. See how you like that then decide if you want to spend more. After I did that I added headers then a supercharger. I also added SLP rockers but that is the one item I would not do again. Just did not see enough punch for the cost.
Keep in mind most (all?) SC and Turbos come with a programmer, so buying one and then adding a SC might be a waste of money.

current set up is all storck 02 avy just got it so looking for upgrades

3.73 or 4.11 depends

what does it depend on? Do you kno what the stock gears in a 99 silverado z71 for comparison

Depends on what the truck was equiped with.

All had option for either.

If you search for "GEAR RATIO CODE" there are some posts which give the glove box sticker code for what gear yout truck has.

I personally think an open exhaust reduces towing power.? I had a 2000 Z-71 Ext. cab w/ the 5.3 and put on a flowmaster dual with the K&N filter charger.? I thought it improved passing and highway performance.? I got sick of the noise, so I put a stock muffler back on, and I could definitly pull my 4000 lb boat better - especially right off the line.? But it was not as quick from 30-70.? Just depends on what you value more... ?

It is absolute insanity to believe you can tow better with a stock muffler and exhaust.? A properly installed performance system, coupled with a torque header will easily produce better towing results than a stock exhaust system.

One of the most common mistakes in performance exhaust installation, is using too large of pipe, and not matching the correct muffler with the vehicle.

And BADalanche, Flowmaster utilizes 2 1/2 inch tailpipes with their dual kit, too large for a 5.3L motor.? You really should have known.

Muffman-

Glad to see you!  Just installed a magnaflow 12579 last week and it looks like the guys who did the install really narrowed the 3" pipe when they bent it to go up over the axle.  I thought about going back and asking them to use a 3.5" or 4" pipe for this part of the pipe- then tie back into the stock 3" 

Would this be worth the trouble or expense?

I also have a Pro-Cold CAI.

Thanks
RS

ygmn said:
Depends on what the truck was equiped with.

All had option for either.

If you search for "GEAR RATIO CODE" there are some posts which give the glove box sticker code for what gear yout truck has.
so you don't have to look it up...

GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10
GU6 = 3.42

G80 = locker

Rodney,

Sounds like the tech installed a "compression" bent 3-inch tailpipe.? He could have easily installed one of many prebent 3-inch mandrel tailpipes.? Although sometimes they don't fit as well, or hang as high as one that is properly custom bent, they do provide roughly 15% more flow.? Now if you didn't up-size your connecting pipe in front of the muffler, from the factory 2 3/4-inch to 3-inch, I wouldn't bother changing out the tailpipe you already have.

Don't go larger than 3-inch coupled with a Magnaflow straight through muffler, you will loose some bottom end.? To put it in perspective, the new 6.0L trucks use a 3 1/2-inch tailpipe and have much more exhaust pressure than the 5.3L.

I am also looking for more pulling power.  I have an 03 Av with the 5.3.  From what I can tell, I can on paper pull up to 7900 lbs.  I have a 03 Nash travel trailer that I need to pull until I can sell it.  Traded a 99 PSD for my Av.  It was a good trade.  Now I need to down size my TT.  But for now, I still need to pull it.

So I was wondering if I should put a chip in it.  It is all stock from what I can tell.  On one of the other Forums here, that sweet young gal ran my VIN for me.  Still reading it to see if I learn anything from it. 

Thanks for any and all help.

Tom

muffman said:
It is absolute insanity to believe you can tow better with a stock muffler and exhaust.? A properly installed performance system, coupled with a torque header will easily produce better towing results than a stock exhaust system.

One of the most common mistakes in performance exhaust installation, is using too large of pipe, and not matching the correct muffler with the vehicle.

And BADalanche, Flowmaster utilizes 2 1/2 inch tailpipes with their dual kit, too large for a 5.3L motor.? You really should have known.

??? I'm not a 'muffler guy.'? I was just talking about my personal experience with the same vehicle? - not a $$$ setup with headers.?

I had a muffler shop put on a dual system w/flowmaster (single in - dual out) on 2000 Sierra Z-71 5.3 step-side for a few hundred bucks.? I had it on a few years, and enjoyed the performance.? I towed the boat several times, and didn't think it was underpowered at all for a smaller V8.? ?I switched back to a stock muffler while keeping the dual exhaust pipes out the back? (new baby > loud exhaust).? Cost?me like $50 to weld a stocker back in.? ?

The very first time I pulled the boat I noticed it was stronger off the line? - I thought it was going to be worse.? I know because I have to turn left onto a 60 MPH highway to get home from the lake - and that drive home is always a little interesting.? >:D? Maybe the sizing matched up better - I don't know.

I posted my results somewhere else back then and was told that these engines need back pressure for low end torque.? Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it... In review - highflow will helps highway, while the backpressure helps with towing.? Torque headers etc. are obviously a different story...a spendy story...

Reading over this gives you some great insight on exhaust.

Thanks muffman

Sam

Recently, I have been having performance problems towing my boat (7300 lbs w/ full tank) so I decided where better to look for a cause than CAFCNA.  I have been away from this forum a long time due life and work getting too busy.  I don?t tow often ? to the shop, to / from winter storage, occasionally to a neighboring lake.  The towing performance has diminished over the last couple of years and most recently has become embarrassing trying to pull my boat up a modest hill.  I added a Volant CAI, JBA CAT forward headers, Muffman?s Flowmaster setup (complete with tips), and a transmission cooler when the truck was new.  It is a 5.3L early 04? and came with 3.73 gears.  So what causes performance to degrade over time?  Could it be clogged fuel injectors?  I have an 81? Chevy Suburban for a daily driver so the Avalanche only has 23K miles.

Back