• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to get better gas milage/ ideas and modifications?

zalman

Right now im only getting 9mpg with in town driving. Anybody know how to improve it or have comments?

slow starts and never go over 2K rpms.  You'll be amazed at the difference. 

grnxnam said:
slow starts and never go over 2K rpms. You'll be amazed at the difference.

You got that right.. a lite foot really does make a difference.

something doesn't sound right, I think 11 is the worst I've ever done and that included pulling a yard of concrete

amd1900mp said:
You got that right.. a lite foot really does make a difference.
I drove like that from NW Bama to NE GA and averaged 21.9mpg.  and while gas is pushing $3 a gallon, it might be time to drive like that again.

I commute 150 miles a day and I have tried every combination.  In order of influence:

- MUST keep speed steady under 62mph.  This makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.  (i.e. 15.5mpg vs 21.7mpg)

- Outdoor temperature (obviously you can't control) between 50-75F.  Colder or hotter starts using more.  Freezing or below seems to drop it about 3mpg

- Light acceleration from stop, we're not Godzilla attacking the city.

- Cruise control

- 2WD High (instead of AUTO)

When the outside temp is 50-75F, my 95% highway commute keeping it under 63mph gets me a consistent 21.7mpg week after week.  No mods and I check the tire pressures once a month.

Good luck!  :p

i have an 07 and i live in a small town so i only do in town driving so yea, but has anybody herd of filters and intakes increasing gas milage? some of my friends mentioned it, or maybe something else that does, once again im only getting 9.3mpg best

Ambalanche said:
Highway commute under 63 mph?? :badidea: You'd get run over around here!!!? :B:
my magic number is 70mph.  thats still a lil slow on I-20, I-65 and I-85, but the savings are wonderful.  Especially on a 1500 mile road trip.

Slower, well yes, it does help.
`Seems to be somewhere between the 63~68 MPH area with my Av.

These may help too: :rolleyes:

■ Always drive downhill.
■ Follow Semi's within 20 feet behind, for a wind break.
■ Don't stop - you need to start moving again.
■ Keep your lights off. Since they draw power, that's a load on the alternator and thus a load on the engine..
■ The same goes for the audio system.
■ Wax everything that the wind blows on.
■ Fold your outside mirrors in.
■ Use very narrow, tires - inflate until hard.
■ Use all magic fuel mileage increasing formulas and gadgets. One just may work, so all at once.
■ Remove the windshield and the back glass. Less wind resistance with the flow through the cab.

OK, well I know I forgot something. :2:

Just an observation, when new, the mileage started on the display in dash at 9, but after about 1000 miles it gradually went up to 13.5 on mine, but I've done a lot of off road & city driving......I also calculated the mileage manually from gas receipts and figured 16 mpg, while the display said 13.5......Try calculating it manually for a few tanks.

I myself only get 10.9 MPG but I also live in a town with stop and go traffic.  I think NY has to have some of the worst gas mileage around.  I installed a CAI and other then making the truck sound louder when I accelerate I don't think it did anything for the mileage.  Last summer I took a trip down to Virginia and got somewhere around 19-20mpg, but that was all highway it also improved the mileage for when I got back to NY.  I think I should start driving slower and maybe even breaking out the bike since I hear that gas may shoot up to $4 a gallon.  As it is $3 is alot.  If anyone else has any suggestions on how to save gas I'm all ears.

Dan :help:

A couple of sugestions.
1 never use a drive thru
2 don't drive around a parking lot for 10 minutes looking for a spot 60 feet closer/
3 if your not going to put stuff in the back use a parking spot you can pull thru
      not if it means extra driving, also much safer

I have a 2007 Z71 with the 3.73 gears. I avg 17.9 to 18.1 mixed driving. The DIC shows 16.1 but when I calculate manually I get 17.9.
So the first thing is to calculate the consumption manually rather than with the DIC. I will say that using the instant mileage display did help me to adjust my driving habits ( seeing 3mpg when taking off hard vs 12 when taking off easy makes you think ). Once I arrived at a mileage number I was ok with I turned it off as it becomes annoying after a while.

The truck only has 2000 miles on it so I expect it will get better as it breaks in.

diarmuidf said:
The DIC shows 16.1 but when I calculate manually I get 17.9.

My DIC seems to go the other way...err.. so to speak. :rolleyes:  It shows that it is getting better mileage than when I calculate manually.  I noticed that the gallons used seems to fluctuate too.  Sometimes it says less, sometimes more, sometimes dead on what actually goes in the tank.

Park the AV, use it when you need to, and buy something more fuel efficient.  Wish I could do this, but I can't afford another vehicle. :E:

How are you calculating MPG?

DO the Full tank method....

fill truck till it clicks off
zero out odometer
drive until almost empty.
refill until it clicks off.
take miles on trip divide by gallons filled.

ALSO did you change tires/ wheel size?
What model engine etc do you have?
do you carry extra stuff inside?

9 mpg is low for 5.3 liter unless towing

I have an 02 Z71 1500. I can average 20-23 on long drives by never accelerating hard. Keeping the RPM's under 2k. I hit 75mph and hit cruise. I have an Airraid cold intake system with a K&N filter. I also have a FM40 with dual 21/2 exhaust. This has helped me the most. I am able to run 75mph and still be at 1800 RPM. If you have a lift that will cause issues also. The tires you run and pressure will make a difference. 5lbs of pressure will drop 5mpg.

Good Luck

Shane

If your really serious, do what the racers do -? lose the weight, and decrease the wind.? ?You can take off the bed covers, the tailgate, the bed mat, the spare, and empty the storage boxes.? Take out the back seat and everything not attached in the cabin.? Remove extra battery and jack (you already lost the spare - so what use is it anyway).? Remove any luggage racks, and fold windows on highway.? Pump those tires up.? Lower it.? I guarantee you'll see an improvement, but you might not like drivin' it as much.

Try some FP3000 or FP60 from www.lubecontrol.com . Highly regarded stuff on www.bobistheoilguy.com . FP60 increased my mileage by 4%. FP3000 increased my mileage by 6%.

I installed a Fram Boost CAI. That combined with dualed out exhaust, I saw my gas mileage go up from 17 to 18.8.  Finally, mods that PAY for themselves... :love:

Back