• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hit The Speed Limiter :(

J

jewvalanche

Last night I wanted to see how quick this truck can go with the mods I installed. She hit 100 in no time and then BAM!!! I hit the speed limiter. That really sucked!!! I hope the Hypertech removes that and when I get the 20 or 22 with the VR tires I should be good for my high speed runs to Orlando. Not that I am going to blast 130 on the turnpike in an AV but i hate being limited while the truck is capable of having some speed. Before I crank it up I think i am going to invest in a bigger braking system. Either rotors and/or calipers as well. Time to go shopping. 22's with 15" slotted and drilled rotors and 6 piston red calipers!!! Sounds like money!!

I feel you pain.... at least weekly! Got to get that limiter removed. :eek:

jewvalanche glad to see you out there,,, keep on modding, and once in a while we all got to let them run, right........good tailgate party, (your tailgate) the other night at tower shops honk when you fly by ok

yes, yet another reason to go with the HPP3 - buried mine at 120 (Denai cluster) last week on 95 North just over the Mass line - a guy in an Eclipse was giving me some heat, so I left him ;D - now I don't know if I hit the new speed limiter (128 is the top that HPP3 allows) but it was nice to take it up there, just to taste it

oh the Eclipse eventually caught up after I coasted back down to 80, God bless 'em, I let him run cop sniffing duty in front of me for the next 30 miles, all he needed was a little ego push and he became my slave . . . >:D

I love boosting the other guys ego so he ends up running cop for the rest of the trip for me!! >:D

I finally let my Av stretch her legs this weekend as well and hit the 98 mark twice out near our cabin. As most of you have stated, it was effortless and pretty quick from cruising at 70 to flying at 98!

Jamie

Well I am glad I am not the only one who is a little twisted in the head in trying to make a 3 ton truck go 130!!!!! I was just drooling on the Tbyrne website. I need to stay way from that site. Between the torque converters, brakes, suspensions you name it, you can really get empty pockets very quickly!!!! P.S. what is with this Zaino wax? And is it that much better than anything out there?

ya i cannot wait until i get my superchip. when i brought the avy to get dynoed the spped limiter kicked in at 98 in 3rd gear, so it would not go above 4000rpm resulting in poor numbers.

Alex

Jewvalanche, Zaino is THE stuff to protect your finish. Much easier to put on than conventional waxes and it's effect will last longer as ehat will not break down the wax.

Check out YGMN's detail threads: Detailing Thread List.

Jamie

I would like to outfit my Av...with higher rated tires before going that fast....I don't think I could bring her back from a loss of contro at that speed.... :B:

I've see high 120s in a 5.3 '99 Silverado and 6.0 Suburban. Haven't taken the 8.1 to the max yet but have easily cruised at 120+ I record the high speed runs on a laptop so I can get the numbers that arean't on the speedo.

I've been using Zaino for years. It's the easiest to put on and take off and leaves and awesome finish!

jewvalanche: There will be more truck parts listed on the site soon :)

Tom

So I will come in to this topic late and ask the obvious question:

How do I remove the speed limiter? Is there a way without getting the expensive re-programmer(HPPIII or whatever)?? sounds like i can just get an DIY chip and plug-it-in??

If it is going to cost $400 to reprogram, I am not sure I want to go that route.. Don't suppose just any mechanic can do this change, and GM probably would not consider, besides what about the warranty??

Short answer is no - you need to change the PCM limit - only re-programming will do that. The last tranny fake is off the market, it didn't work all that well anyway.

Back