• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Superchips 5.3 & 8.1L Install & Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! The other topic was getting a little long :)

All of the GP Tuners will be ordered this afternoon and should be shipping from here in about 2 weeks.

Tom

I'm waiting. :8: :8: Is it here yet? :8: :8: Not mad just got the little kid reaction going. I don't want to wait but I know I have to. I will go to my room now. :C:

Jon

JRyther said:
I'm waiting. ? :8: :8: ?Is it here yet? ? :8: :8: ?Not mad just got the little kid reaction going. ?I don't want to wait but I know I have to. ?I will go to my room now. ? :C:

Jon

uh? I got mine by UPS today....works great! >:D

kidding

:2:Help 91 Octane!
Since everyone is waiting for their SuperChip what about achieving the 91 Octane. In Alaska our highest at the gas pump is 90 Octane. Does anyone know if octane additive is the way to go to achieve the 91 Octane level. ???And if so what is the best name brand on the market? Some of you may have this problem when you get the Superchip, there could be some informed people out there on this subject! :0:

Pewter 1500 4x4, Z71,Loaded, Sunroof, Heated Leather Seats, K&N FIPK,Flowmaster 40,[Superchip]

Hmmm, Do it yourself rocket fuel >:D >:D

Should I dare ???

Wouldn't the price of 91 octane still be cheaper then the $6.00 a gallon of toulene ?

I'm waiting to here some results from the rest of the 5.3 boyz...I'm interested as well just didn't have the funds during the group buy..sorry....but still want to hear how you guys did with this GP.... :B:

I found a gas station near the lake selling 99 octane gas. That stuff is expensive!!! I think im gonna try a tank when I get my Superchips in! I forgot the price but it was over $2.00 a gallon.

WiKi

Word of caution. I knew a guy when I was in the USAF that burnt aviation gas 115-145 oct. in his Tempest. Burnt the valves completely off the stems.

Hot gas is good for performance but be ready to pull yo heads. >:D

2-me

With the tuners [HPP3 and Superchips] you will not benefit from running an actane greater than 93 - don't waster your money and engine parts on it - the tuners will probably run with 91-92 just fine - just check for detonation. ;D

Wiki said:
I found a gas station near the lake selling 99 octane gas. ?That stuff is expensive!!! ?I think im gonna try a tank when I get my Superchips in! ?I forgot the price but it was over $2.00 a gallon.

I think you must remember the chip optimizes tuning for 91 - 93 fuel. Would not the same possible engine damage occur by running 99? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nuff said. I will not try it. Just can't wait much longer for the stinking Superchips to come in.

s_giacomo said:
I wait with eager anticipation too. ?I have flowmaster, K&N FIPKII, and will have Superchips tuner. ?What next? ?TBS?

Nahh....dont get the TBS. Our 5.3 liter engines don't gain much if anything from them. The original idea behind a TBS was to give more room for the air to mix with the fuel, atomize, and with our setups it doesnt do any good. Ask Gandolphxx to word this more eliquently. He will explain the workings of our engine better than me.

Wiki said:
Nahh....dont get the TBS. ?Our 5.3 liter engines don't gain much if anything from them. ?The original idea behind a TBS was to give more room for the air to mix with the fuel, atomize, and with our setups it doesnt do any good. ?Ask Gandolphxx to word this more eliquently. ?He will explain the workings of our engine better than me.

Thanks for the info Wiki. I've seen different opinions out here, but from what I've read Gandolphxx is da man on this stuff. I've heard it's definitely a waste on the 8.1, but have seen mixed reviews on the 5.3. :cautious: Guess I'm almost out of bolt-on performance mods (not doing a supercharger - too much $$$), guess I'll have to start on other mods (i.e. the TERRIBLE sound system :9:).

s_giacomo said:
Thanks for the info Wiki. ?I've seen different opinions out here, but from what I've read Gandolphxx is da man on this stuff. ?I've heard it's definitely a waste on the 8.1, but have seen mixed reviews on the 5.3. ?:cautious: ?Guess I'm almost out of bolt-on performance mods (not doing a supercharger - too much $$$), guess I'll have to start on other mods (i.e. the TERRIBLE sound system ?:9:).

Check your message box for more info.

You could invest in a Direct Hits ignition system - real gains, no pain - TByrne still has some for sale. ;D

I got my Superchips tuner the other day... I had to wait to get my AV back from Pro Comp before I could put the tuner to use. After picking my truck up today, I eagerly jumped right into the plug and play tunning.

Unfortunately, I never had the tuner before the lift kit and 35" tires so I am not going to be able to give an accurate seat of the pants comparison.

Using the programmer is simple. There are 2 types of modes. The first is the programming mode which will download the Superchips settings to the ECM. You are not asked what level of firmness or how much to raise Max RPM. All the performance data has been pre programmed by Superchips for better performance So it is not as flexible as the Hypertech.

The second Mode is Custom Tuning.
Here you can modify settings for gear changes and tire sizes. Also you can REMOVE the top speed limiter. Not Raise it but REMOVE it >:D >:D Make sure you get some Z rated tires.................

Even with my new 35's and after running the programmer, Acceleration and shifting are pretty solid and the speedo is still right on the money.

All the vehicle stock settings are retained in the programmer. I am told that it only takes a couple of minutes to go back to original stock settings.

I might just un program the truck and drive it for a while to see how it runs with the 35's and factory programming. Then I can see for sure how much of an improvement it is.

My truck is a Z71 with 5.3L and 3:73 gears

I'd wait on the Direct Hits and go for the TOG headers first. Granted, they are more expensive than the plug wire set-up, but you will realize substantial performance gains.

Regarding octane, remember that the higher the number the greater the resistance to ignition.....water is VERY high in that regard. The most power (heat) is made at the very margin of detonation. If you run more octane than u need you will actually take heat out of the motor and make less power. Street compression ratios do not require more than 93 octane unless boosted by a turbo or a blower. I have no experience w/ NOS apps, and they may as well.

The SuperChips tuner works great right out of the box, with no thermo changes...but it sure seems to love my Fitch Fuel Catalysts...
JM

spf973 said:
Regarding octane, remember that the higher the number the greater the resistance to ignition.....water is VERY high in that regard. ?The most power (heat) is made at the very margin of detonation. ?If you run more octane than u need you will actually take heat out of the motor and make less power. Street compression ratios do not require more than 93 octane unless boosted by a turbo or a blower. I have no experience w/ NOS apps, and they may as well.

The SuperChips tuner works great right out of the box, with no thermo changes...but it sure seems to love my Fitch Fuel Catalysts...
JM

I've heard about this Fitch thing. Can you go into some detail as to what kind of luck you have had with it before and after the superchip. Not sure what you mean by is sure seems to love the catalysts. Please explain. Thanks!!!

Jon

I only installed the Fitch Fuel Catalysts after the "chip." However, California has some of the worst gas, especially when laced with MTBE, and the catalysts seem to offset the terrible fuel to a degree. I cannot explain their effects other than it feels much smoother, mileage looks to be up about 1Mpg, and response is improved.
JM

One thing to remember Guys is that Higher Octane Fuel burns more Slowly..., thats how it suppresses Detonation..., if You have a lot of compression..., or a Supercharger, or Turbo....., You need a High Octane Fuel to pevent Detonation.., if You put it in an engine that doesn't have High Compression.., and an Advanced timing curve..... You will Loose Power..., You really only want to run as much Octane as the Engine Needs.., for Peak Combustion.., any more.., and the Power will fall off..., most all of the Programmers, and Chips are Optimized for 92 to 93 Octane Gas...., go to much over that..., and You'll just Loose Power.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back