• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SUPERCHIPS WARNING !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XRover

Charter Member
SM 2003
I attempted to program my Avalanche today with disastrous results.

I followed the instructions on the sheet.
First I pressed "A" and removed the speed limiter. Then I made Tire Size corrections for my 35" tires. After that the screen returned to the main menu. I then pressed yes and proceeded to let the tuner enter the programmining cycle.

The first screen stated that it was storing my vehicles stock settings. That took about 3 minutes. After that, the screen said that it was beginning to program the new settings. Only one star came up on the current process screen when the unit beeped 3 times and said that there is no response from PCM and to check that the ignition was on and to check the cable. Nothing had moved jarred or switch on or off prior to this. I frantically tried to make sure that the plug was seated in the Data Link Connector and the other end securely attached to the tuner. I tried pressing different buttons on the tuner to see if that would change the screen which it did not.

At this time I had no choice but to unplug the unit and re plug it back in. I went through the programming mode again and this time it just said that there was no response from the PCM.

I turned the ignition off and removed the cable. Now, the vehicle will not start.. The starter cranks but the truck will not run.

I tried the procedure 3 more times and even disconnected the battery for 20 minutes in hopes that the PCM would reset. Nothing changed.. I had to leave my truck parked on the street and get a ride home.

I am very upset.. I do not know what to do....

Being the weekend, There is no tech support available.

I have been searching the internet for any info regarding my problem.

I found an exact case to mine from a guy on LS1 Tech.com

Here is the link.

Superchips killed my truck

Really sorry, but that's all I can offer :(
I am way out of my league in stuff like this. Hope somebody comes along that can offer something more substantial

Sorry to hear of your woes XRover. Made me :D: just reading it!
In reading through the entire linked thread... there seemed to be a few instances of this problem with the Superchips product :(. Now, I know there are many others besides me who have order the tuner on the group purchase through TBYRNE. Let's follow the directions exactly, keep our fingers crossed, and trust the one comment in XRover's link that implies that some changes were made by Superchips to alleviate this problem.
OK... who's gonna be first to install one of the programmers from the group buy?! :eek: I think I'll wait and hear a few results first ;)

-------Bow:B:tie

Sorry to here about your truck. I believe that the only way to get this fixed is to get the dealer to re-program the PCM. Probably not the answer you wanted but if I remember this is the only way. Just play dumb with them. Came out to go home and the truck would not start. I have no idea what happened. They should fix it.
Let us know what happens.

Jon

Good Golly Miss Molly, Xrover I'm really sorry to hear about this - If that were to happen to me I'd go off like a sky rocket. ?

Stay cool just a programming problem. ?When you think about it, its amasing it does'nt happen more often. ?I mean look at the funny things that happen to the A/C.

I'm gonna get hold of my service manager at the local dealership to see if I can do a hook up in their parking lot - just in case.

Having a good relationship with a dealer will go a long way in avoiding problems like this. ?The guys I deal with have no problem helping in situations like this. ?

Tbyrne hope your monitoring this - any thoughts on what happened?

2-me

XRover, very sorry about your dilema. It is likely that you will need to get your PCM re-flashed by a dealer as noted in the thread you posted.

I assume that you have tried all of the "off the cuff" resets that were in the thread.

As others have mentioned you'll probably need to get your computer reflashed to clear this problem. We haven't had this problem with a SuperChips programmer here but did experience a programming problem with a different brand of programmer on a C5 a few weeks ago. Everything would function fine except for the transmission. The car was reflashed and a new programmer was installed with good results.

You should give SuperChips a call tomorrow morning to see what they have to say.

Tom

Xrover: YUCK! I saw the header of this thread come through email and I thought to myself "who's whining now!" (didn't know who it was from yet). Then I read it. YUCK! Got that sick feeling in my stomach. I will say prayer for you & truck and hope you get things scared away. Anything different about your rig (e.g., build date, etc.) that put your car at risk? I know I'm stretching....

tbyrne: what is the faillure rate of these units? Is there a similar risk with the HPIII? What is involved in getting re-flashed? flatbed to dealer or can I bring unit to dealer for a flash?

Let's watch this one..... :eek:

XRover, sorry to hear this. While checking the GM service manual for PCM-related issues, here's what I ran into:

"Problem: Engine Cranks but Does Not Run"

Besides going over the basics (battery charge, battery connection, fuel in the tank), they finally get to testing fuses:

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Probe both sides of the fuses located in the underhood electrical center listed below using a test lamp connected to ground.
INJR A
INJR B
ECM I

Based on if the fuses are okay (test lamp illuminates on both sides of the fuses), then they get into monitoring the engine coolant temperature and fuel pump / fuel pressure.

Have you already checked these fuses?

Hey gang,

Thanks for concern ;D

I have checked all fuses in the engine compartment and the ones in the cab. All are OK.

I do have Onstar, but nowhere in the instructions does it mention Onstar. The newer programmers are supposed to work fine with onstar.

I guess I will have it towed to the dealer unless Superchips has another solution. If I get no definitive answer from Superchips on why this happened, I will proceed to return the programmer for a refund. :(

I wonder how refunds are handled on electronic items like these?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am going to go program my AV in the parking lot of the dealer. As a matter of fact, I will park in the spots reserved for those getting service. I will not take a chance on that happening.

It does, however, sound like they forgot to tell you about onstar. The other thread in the LS-1 site mentioned an additional instruction sheet explaining which fuse to dissable if you have On-star.

Tbyrne, do you know of such instructions on these units?

The reason I ask about the onstar is even though they "claim" they fixed that problem, maybe the didn't. I think as a precaution, I am going to pull the fuse for onstar and disabled anything that migt draw current like amplifiers, neon, etc.

Does anybody know off hand which is the onstar fuse?

carrerarod said:
Does anybody know off hand which is the onstar fuse?
C-Rod, I was able to d/c OnStar by removing "seq1" in the electrical center under the hood and removing "seo ign" in the fuse panel at the drivers side of the dash. This insured the Onstar indicator light was off while the ignition was powered. My HPP3 instructions state that RDO 1 and RAP 2 would also have to be removed if seq1 didn't douse the light but that wasn't the case for my Av.

tbyrne: what is the faillure rate of these units?

We haven't had any problems with these programmers.

Tbyrne, do you know of such instructions on these units?

I haven't seen this but gandolphxx posted a link from the Hypertech site to help disable it.

Reflashing the computer will involve towing the vehicle to the dealer.

Tom

So what are the odds this is going to happen when I try this on my av or was this a mistake to buy one at all.
I don't want to take a chance on messing up my Av!

I hope everyone doesn't panic. I think we need to look at what we gained from XRover's pain. We are all a little more educated about how these things work. It seems like a constant uninterrupted source of power is critical.

I know that I am going to disconnect onstar regardless of what they say. I would also recommend a charged battery based on what I have read but since I have an optima yellow top, I am not going to worry. If I had an OEM battery, I think i would hook it up to my charger the night before just to be safe.

Looks like the probability of this happening is low but the risk is very high. But I will park the AV in a manner that would be easy for the flatbed to pick it up just in case.

XRover, please keep us posted.

I agree, everyones first reaction is to panic. Dont, I believe there is a low chance of this happening, and the company seems to be standing behind their product.

Take the precautions of disabling onstar and making sure everything is else if off. I like the idea of doing it in the dealer's parking lot just in case. (you know, tell them the truck was acting up and you were lucky you made to their parking lot ;) )

Cant wait for mine to show up!!

OUCH! Keep us informed as to what happens. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. :D:

A little OT here but something I know you will want to read if your in this thread.

Oct Sport Truck mag took a 2001 gm 6.0 and installed a exhaust after cat, induction air intake , and reprogrammed the chip for a 41 hp and 38 lbft torque gain at the rear wheels. Pretty impressive if you ask me...bang for buck wise that is.

Oh yea...they dyno'ed it all through the process one step at a time (4 times).

I won't hesitate using the superchip on mine...of course I'm going to do this after my FIPK and Magnaflow are installed...intutition nothing else....speaking of such when is my stuff going to get here!!!!!!!!! Maybe Dale Jarret DOES need to drive the truck! ;D

Now that's what I'm talking about!

I already have an FIPK and the Magnaflow and looking forward to my SuperChip programmer.

;D

guys these posts are scarring me. :cry: i think i might just stick to the bolt-on's. i wanted to get a PP3 or Superchips. but, it seems like a potential headache waiting to happen. at least with the bolt-on's the computer can make a determination on it's own and adjust for it, rather than you "telling" it what to do. seems like it does not want to cooperate in some instances. wonder why? ???
and if on-star makes a difference, why is it not in the instructions to disconnect. ???

XRover,

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! ?My install crashed too on Friday night, but I was luckier as my truck started.

I followed the instructions to a T and had driven 25 miles on the freeway to charge the battery up. ?I then started the install.
It went through custom options, then stored the factory PCM (took a few minutes to do this) and started to flash the chip.

As soon as it displayed Programming a message came up that displayed that is was initiating communications and then ERROR.

Next it tried to recover the PCM 3 times (each time it would required the ignition be turned on and off). ? When that finished it came up with an ERROR display that would beep 3 times and it did this for 10 minutes as I just sat staring at the dam tuner afraid the PCM was blown. ? :C: Finally I just disconnect the cable and tried to start it and it started.

The only way I can figure my PCM wasn?t blown was that it failed when it was starting to flash the code and it didn?t write on the PCM. ? Believe it or not the next morning I tried the unit again but as soon as I connect it the ERROR message came up with the 3 beep code.

Like you I missed Tom?s GP and ordered from another supplier BUT THE UNIT WAS DROP SHIPPED TO ME DIRECTING FROM SUPPERCHIPS ON THE 3RD SO IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THEY HAVE A BAD BATCH OF TUNERS OUT.

Lets compare notes after talking with Superchips as while I didn?t lose my PCM, I?m very leery about this product!
:8: :8: :8: :8: :8:

Man, I am sorry to hear about the problems flashing the computer! I know that I would be screaming at Superchips about the issue and making sure I was taken care of on this.

I was seriously contemplating getting a Superchip programmer right after I ordered my HPIII, but now I think I will stick with what I already have. The HPIII is a nice setup for me, and the SOTP performace increase is great.

Has anyone heard of any problems wiht the HPIII, or is this only a problem with the Superchip's programmer? Searches on the net, etc, have yeilded only the Superchips problems so far. Guess experiance in the business can pay off in protection for the consumer.

Keep us posted as to what Superchips says / does for you in this terrible situation. Hopefuly you have spare wheels to get you to work, etc, today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back