• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

TUNING COMPARISONS FYI

metalguru

In the impatient weeks before the collection of my new 2500 Av, I have been doing much investigation and thinking about what mods I will make to it when it arrives.

The following is an analysis of many common mods, with their costs and benefits. Please note that the prices shown are indicative only and that I have assumed that most mods will be done by me (or you). Please also note that I have taken conservative "real world" estimates for the tuning gains, except where I have seen independent testing that shows actual results on a 8.1 truck.

If you are gonna get a shop to do the work, well that is gonna be more money! Feel free to add other options \ costs and re-post if you wish.

I have included an item for "!!cat + muffler + O2 sims", which means that I will remove the cat and exhaust system to be replaced with a 3" muffler I have in the garage + some new self-fabricated exhaust tubing + a pair of O2sims to fool the PCM into ingoring the missing catalyst.

With regard to Torque Management, there are only 2 options for removing this that I am aware of. If anyone knows of another way I will be dleighted to hear about it. LS1Edit for the Avalanche will be available very shortly, but whether I (or you) are brave enough to get into LS1Edit tuning, is another matter!!!!

Finally, if anyone is interested, I will be going with the Hypertech + !cat combo for starters, with an N2O kit to follow, albeit that the power tuning will have to be returned to stock when the N2O kit is fitted to prevent detonation (that is why the N2O kit is not added to the Hypoetech power gain)....unless I finally decide to get LS1Edit.....

Hope you like it :p

It's not obvious, but you have to click on the paper clip at the top of the message to see the attached file.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Not to shabby a list - you are putting more stock in the LS1Edit and the ability to sort out all of the variables than is possible for the average person - IMHO.

Also, watch out, the SCU 2000 may be dead, and is known to fail fairly often in hot weather - probably not a great idea. ;D

Back