• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Superchips Latest

metalguru

Just picked this up from pickup.com forums:

"Sounds like moss6 has done his homework as well. Can't speak for the 8.1 but I do know that for my 6.0 the TMS has been completely defeated.

As to burninrubber, the units shipping out of Superchips since last Thursday have the issues corrected for the Avalanche and all other GM trucks that may have experienced a programming failure. Superchips placed all GM programmers on hold 2 weeks ago due to a firmware change that corrected issues encountered with certain Avalanche models and other GM trucks on occassion. I know that my source Systech in Colorado sent all of their units back upon learning of the modification and has all new units in stock. Otherwise, I would only order from Superchips direct to ensure you get the most up to date Microtuner.

May want to call Superchips and get the entire scoop on what they have done with the TMS on 8.1 engines. "

So you're saying that the superchips for the 5.3 AV is all set, that all the kinks are fixed and there won't be any problem installing it.

-James R. :cool:

I (me personally) ain't saying anything....someone called cableguy is saying the above and the following:

"I contacted their Technical Support Department and have spoken to five different techs. I like to do that to ensure that I am being told the same thing by each representative. In reviewing what the Microtuner's capabilities are, each tech walked me through what my exact expectations should be and each, without my prompting, stated the detailed calibrations the engineers have gone through in removing all torque management and creating the program. They do a poor job of advertising the specifics about the tuner on their web site but will give you all the details in a phone conversation. As another example, all Microtuners for GM trucks since mid-August include the capability of reading all OBD-II codes and can reset trouble codes. This isn't mentioned anywhere on their web site. Found out about it by talking to their techs.

Give them a call and see what they have done torque management wise with the 8.1...maybe pleasantly surprised."

If Tom Byrne is reading this post, maybe he can confirm if a fix has been made and also whether the torque managment issue has now been covered by the Superchips tuner.

Maybe also, some of you guys in USA could call Superchips and ask (I'm in Scotland).

In response to this thread, I called SuperChips this morning to discuss changes in their programmers.

I was told that the 5.3L version is now fixed.

With regards to the 8.1L version: There were a few codes left out of the 8.1L version, which affected a small number of users. Most 8.1L owners did not experience a problem, but a few did. This was due to the codes being left out of the original programming. If your 8.1L programmer worked, then you do not need to send it back.

SuperChips did not change any of the performance programming, including the removal TMS, on the 8.1L version.

On a side note, I was told that the programming will work not only work in "regular" mode but in "Tow/Haul" mode as well! I was told that I should see even better performance in Tow/Haul *ss mode. (that's what I call it anyway.)

I still love my SuperChip - it has done wonders for my truck. I wish I could say the same for my tires!

Thanks Boo...looks like I can revert to Plan "A" and buy a Superchips tuner.

I will not need to go to LS1Edit to remove TM!!

I was one of the lucky (opinion) ones and the superchip worked on my AV. I developed a trany problem on my AV and used the superchip to put the programming back to stock. (torque converter doesn't stay locked up. DTC p0740. Also noticable when driving...not a contant slip and you can sometimes feel the TC lockup). Anyway I would like to report that adding 15 RWHP (actually all the performance gains of the SC) is nothing like taking them away! Really the stock AV s u c k s after having the AV on the SC. I think I can count to 100 between shifts!

Anyway it sure is missed when it's taken away (not just the SC...any mod!).

I have to agree with Lex. Some will say that I did not add a true 31 hp to the beast, but dang, it sure feels like it. I have not reverted back to stock programming since owning the SC, but I know I would be dissapointed. The roads were a bit wet this morning and I could not start from a standstill without getting squirrelly. I also had to be careful not to push the pedal too far down at highway speeds - if it downshifted, I fought to keep the back end where it ought to be.

Boo.

I too must confirm the great sense of loss when I reprogrammed my 8.1 back to lame (Stock)....It's amazing how gutless they are w/ that big of a motor...anyway I overnighted the unit back to SC for the latest iteration which I'm told will further reduce the dreaded TSM nonsense.....I'm sure my mileage is better now, and my wheel weights will stay on, but it's a SLUG. Hopefully I can reprogram it back to what oughta be STOCK for God's sake (if I wanted a Subaru I would've bought one!) early next week. I have to say that I belive SC's HP claims....
JM

SPF973 Why did you return your unit to SC? I am running the SC on my 2500 and it works GREAT. Do I need to send my programmer back for upgrades? I thought your unit worked with no problems.

Gary

spf973 said:
I too must confirm the great sense of loss when I reprogrammed my 8.1 back to lame (Stock)....It's amazing how gutless they are w/ that big of a motor...anyway I overnighted the unit back to SC for the latest iteration which I'm told will further reduce the dreaded TSM nonsense.....I'm sure my mileage is better now, and my wheel weights will stay on, but it's a SLUG. Hopefully I can reprogram it back to what oughta be STOCK for God's sake (if I wanted a Subaru I would've bought one!) early next week. ?I have to say that I belive SC's HP claims....
JM

SPF973, please divulge your secrets!

I was told that the programming did not change on the 8.1L version. Were you told something different?
If I can send it back to get rid of more TM, then I'm all for it! >:D

I reluctantly returned it because Superchips apparently has further mitigated the TSM function. No other reasons; the motor/trans was a TON better than stock. Any idea if the Granatelli MAF Sensor is worth the $$$?
Thanks,
JM

The consensus seems to be that the MAF in the Avs work well. Try a search under MAF or mass air flow.

My latest on the Superchip. I had my AV programmed with the SC. I developed a tranny problem (e0740) and used the SC to return the AV to stock. No problems. Truck was in the shop 1 day for them to fix (turned out to be bad/loose wiring harness in the tranny). Just reprogrammed the AV back with the SC. No problems. ;D

Got my SuperTuner back w/ build 2505(F). Re-installed w/ no problems though install takes longer. More grunt for sure, less TSM, but still not ALL gone. This sucker is very fast especially considering it still has the stock exhaust.....

Best $$$ for power I have ever spent!
JM

They recommend that you return it to stock for 2 reasons:
1.) The new unit won't recognize the modded ECM.
2.) If you need dealer service while the SC is away, and they do ANYTHING to your ECM, much less detect the mod, you could be screwed as the SC again won't recognize your ECM (remember that each SC can only mod one ECM or VIN #....)
JM

Back