• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Avalanche Mods??

M

MikeShari

Just purchased a 2002 for my wife.

What mods are the most bang for the buck when it comes to performance and economy?

Mike

Your best bet would be to spend some time searching through the various reports & debates on many different performance mods in this forum. There are several factors that need to be looked at.
How much $ are you willing to spend?
Are you looking for power? gas mileage? throaty exhaust?

My opinions would be a FIPK, I went with the UPD w/ K&N combo. I also went with a dual flowmaster exhaust. I think I'm averaging an additional 1.5-2 mpg. A throttle body spacer is another great bang for the buck mod for $100

I'm more into exterior & stereo mods, so I don't have much expert advice here...

Hey There!

I'm new to the site myself. I've been reading post in this site for about two weeks now...there?s a lot of good stuff in here. I do not have a great background in cars nor with doing mods, this is all new for me. You can say that I?m mechanically challenged. I've always wanted to do it but never had the money when I was in high school. Now that I'm older and more frugal with my spending (having a good job helps, lol), I'm have fun being a kid again.

Here's what I have (had) done to my White 02 Z66:

Performance:
-Flowmaster 40 series muffler with duel tips: $363.60 installed
-K&N FIPK cool air intake: $388.80 installed
-Hypertech Power Programmer: $394.20 (programmed it myself)
-180 Powerstat from Hypertech: $154.34 installed

On paper it looks mean but I can?t wait to get it on a Dyno.

With all the mods I?ve made so far, I love the power, sound, and added response time. I love looking on the faces of the guy next to me when they can not run away from my beast. I eat a ford F150 with duel exhaust the other day?and the guy in the Yukon was banging his steering wheel as I pulled away from him doing about 90mph.

I?m looking to install a supercharger $(?) and NOS ($about 530 installed) in the future. I?m not sure what kind of supercharger to buy, I?m still researching it. I?m adding the NOS system just because I can.

I hope to have my website up and running soon. No time with work and three kids?lol

Rob

(y)

Sounds like you've gotten most of the performance mods done Loggie.

Just a FYI - You may want to shop around a little more before jumping into some mods.
I did the same FM 40 series with dual 3" diameter pipes coming straight out the back for about $225. Got everything from Summit, and had a local shop supply the rest of the larger piping, and install.
I know you can get the HP3's for $300 online too.

As for the supercharger, I beleive almost everyone here that has them has the whipple.

zimmsAV

I'm located out in the middle of nowhere USA Altus OK. :6: There's only one shop in town that comes close to being a speed shop. I just don't trust anyone to work on my AV. These guys came recommend from the dealer. I could drive to OKC but that?s over 2hrs driving and not knowing if the shops, provided I could find one, up there are any good. Its hard to trust people these days if you know what I mean?

Now that I?ve been in the site for a while (3 hours last night read all the post about superchargers) I can go online and buy the stuff. I just talked to my service guy and he said that he would put on the overlays I ordered for half the labor cost. I not willing to do any mods myself yet so I?ll pay for it. I tend to break things. ;D

I checked out your system, nice! This is what I did:
-Kenwood MP 819 stereo
-4x 6.5 MB Quart component
-400w Planet Audio 4/CH amp
-200w Planet Audio 2/CH amp
-2x 8? RF Punch mounted in two custom boxes
-DVD/TV player
-7? flip down wide screen by Poweracoustic

Later
Rob :cool:

heres a short list of items to check into:
asp underdrive pulley $209.99
air intake system ( i prefer mac products) $189.99
good set of headers (for your truck i would get shorties) $299.99 from edelbrock
good catback exhaust system $299.99 from gibson
superchip microtuner $319.99
throttle body spacer $99.99
total gains of around 40hp-50hp's

pbperformance said:
heres a short list of items to check into:
asp underdrive pulley $209.99
air intake system ( i prefer mac products) $189.99
good set of headers (for your truck i would get shorties) $299.99 from edelbrock
good catback exhaust system $299.99 from gibson
superchip microtuner $319.99
throttle body spacer $99.99
total gains of around 40hp-50hp's
?
Just a few thoughts:

1. I would be leary of the pulley swap if it is a daily driver - that is track stuff.

2. Short headers will not give you the gains that long headers will - you have plenty of room for TOG's - real gains.

3. Cat back systems are pricey, a good Magnaflow will do the job just as well - had a Gibson, now a Magnaflow.

4. Last but not least check the Superchips threads before jumping in.

my $.02

If speed and acceleration is what you want then the age old term "how fast do you want to go" comes to mind...all the above mentioned will give you performance gains....you referred to a supercharger and Nos which indicates to me you are pretty series about traveling faster than your average Joe......look into things like most of the other members suggested and make your decision from there......

$$$$$ will make you go fast.... :B:

I've always heard that the prolonged use of NOS on an engine will eventually do in your internals etc...because of the stress being put on the engine.....I've never ran NOS so this could be just pulp fiction for all I know.....It may be one of those things that if used wisely might not have any adverse reactions..... :B:

NJAV said:
I've never ran NOS so this could be just pulp fiction for all I know.....It may be one of those things that if used wisely might not have any adverse reactions..... :B:

Use NOS wisely... >:D

That's one of those jumbo-shrimp words...
giggl.gif

zimmsAV said:
Use NOS wisely... >:D

That's one of those jumbo-shrimp words...
giggl.gif

With the size engine like the 5.3 or 8.1 you could probably do a 50 shot all day long....I don't know about some of those guys that shoot like 150 shot and don't detonate.... :B:

NOS could cause bottom-end problems if you do more than what the crank, con-rods and pistons will bear. This is true though with any engine that puts out mega horsepower that is not built on a bulletproof foundation.

My thoughts :0: behind adding NOS?
1- It?s a cheep but effective means of adding some serious horsepower?.and?
2- Because it would be cool. :cool:

I'm going to be running a tnt kit or a nx kit on my Avalanche, we've had good luck with both kits, but dont go over 75 shot on a tnt kit, they put down big power for the stated 75hp!

Jason

Im setting up an NX system, with a programmable controller on mine now.., going to be shooting a small shot because of the Blower., should allow me to go back to My 2600 Stall converter...... I put the Yank TT 3000 converter in recently.., Awsome converter.., but a bit to much slip for Me, for a daily driver...., as long as you dont have a fuel pressure problem., you'll be find with a 50 to 75 wet shot.......

Back