• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hypertech Install Poll

Regarding your HPP3 install

• Installed w/o problems, love it!

Votes: 41 93.2%
  • Installed w/o problems, not impressed with product

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Installed with difficulty, great results

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Installed with difficulty, not impressed

• It killed my Av!

• Total voters

steelheadchaser

Staff Member
Administrator
Charter Member
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Due to the fact that some members have been having catastrophic failures with their PCM "tuning", many have become wary of this mod, regardless of brand. This poll is for people that have installed HPP3 tuning, so others interested can have an idea what to expect with this product.

I'd like to see how the Hypertech install goes in some of the vehicles where the Superchips units failed (like mine).

If the Hypertech installs without any problems in these AVs then it is just more evidence of how bad the Superchips unit is

Only seven out there with the HPP3? Don't be shy folks. Feel free to add any comments you would like about your HPP3 install.

I will let you know how the install goes. I will be ordering after this weekend. I have two DJ gigs this weekend and will have enough money for my Magnaflow and my Hypertech after these two gigs.

Looking forward to sounding good and running faster!!!!

MOD ON

Wiki

Sorry to be the first to post a partially negative vote on the Hyper III :cry:

Everything works great EXCEPT the "TRACTION OFF" light is illuminated and pressing the button to re-activate the traction control yields no results, so I can only assume that the new programming has disabled my Traction Control feature.

I've contacted Hypertech twice in the last two days and here's what they told me:

Yesterday the tech on the phone told me to plug the unit in, turn the key to "on", activate the programmer and wait for it to identify my VIN. Then unplug the cable from the port. "That should re-activate the Traction Control".
Well I tried it three times and no change. I even went back to "stock" settings twice and in doing so the TC feature operated as normal, so this confirmed the issue is with the programmer. On the final attempt the only parameter I tried changing was the tire diameter setting to correctly calibrate the speedometer for my new tires. No luck, the TC light came back on.
So today I called Hypertech again and a different tech told me that it may be because the tire diameter doesn't match what I programmed. "WHAT ??? " I asked. How could that be it when the TC light comes on and I haven't even backed out of the driveway yet :7:
He insisted that that may be the cause of the problem and to call back tomorrow if that doesn't work. So what do you all think the chances are when I go home tonight and verify the tire diameter? Will that fix the problem? Should I take a poll on that one? ;D

Other than this particular glitch, the performance is noticeably there when adjusting shiftpoints. I also played "follow the leader" with my girlfriend on the freeway last night and was able to verify speedometer calibration using our cellphones. We were about 1 mph apart, which is acceptable to me, since I can't verify the calibration on my g'friend's Camry. I just know that she's got brand new tires and they're original size/height so that should put me pretty close.

I wonder what Hypertech is going to tell me tomorrow....

I have had the hypetech since june and it has been great. no problems and have had it at the delaer with it in and no problems. did the t stat and that was a fun job overall good bang for the buck. i have a z-71 no problems must be some glitch in the z-66 program

To All,,,

I would like to re-iterate something... When you install the HPP3, you must pull the onstar fuse if equipped, make sure the drls/headlights are dis-abled, all accessories are off... radio, fan, dome light(close all doors) All programmers need consistent good current to do their thing... The process can take a while the first time especially, and you need to maintain proper current... I heard this from my dyno shop owner, and Hypertech themselves... Any interruption in current can be bad... And make sure the connection at the DLC is good and tight... Good luck to all, and may the force be with you !!!

Hypertec tuner was one of the very first Mods I did...., right after I got My truck..., that was in January... I have never had a problem with it..., and had changed settings many times.... I removed, and Reloaded the programming many times..... Im still using it with the Whipple, and Modified Trans..., but only for Tire size, Gear ratio, and Rev limit.... Even with the Custom Tuning, that the Tuner Im working with has done..., Im still able to use it for those changes.... Ive been very happy with it........

Well after 6 calls to Hypertech my traction control is still disabled. This morning the tech helping me on the phone spoke to the head programmer and he suggested that I reload the stock settings (which re-enabled the TC by the way), then reinstall the Hypertech programming but this time do not start the truck for at least 10 mins. So I put the truck back to stock, drove to the gym (the "traction off" light was nice and dark), parked the truck (next to another Avy that happened to have a 6" RCD!) reprogrammed the new settings and went to workout. Came back an hour and a half later, started the truck and naturally the "TC OFF" light was back on :8:

I called again, spoke directly to the head programmer named Sean, and he said he wants to take a look at my Hypertech. So he issued me a return goods auth# and I'm sending it off in the mail to Tennessee tomorrow.

I spoke to the guys at my shop and they said they've programmed literally hundreds of cars/trucks and never ran into this issue. So perhaps I just got a lemon. We shall see. Meanwhile I'm back to the stock settings. Thank goodness for the Tow/Haul button!

That's great. Thanks Johnny_D. I sent mine out Priority Mail this morning. I have no clue how long it will be before I get it back.

I hope yours works without incident ?;D

(y)I have had 2 of the HPP3 units for 2 seperate vehicles and have had no problems installing and removing programs. Never had a startup issue at all...
zeeya :B:

Dante
I would love to permanently turn of the TRACTION CONTROL in my Z66. I would not have purchased my truck unless it had a manuel off botton. All it does is kill your engine If you slip your wheels a little. Unfortunatly it works fine with my Hypertech. It would be nice if Hypertech would make it an option to permanently turn off traction control.

Ted said:
Dante
I would love to permanently turn of the TRACTION CONTROL in my Z66. I would not have purchased my truck unless it had a manuel off botton. All it does is kill your engine If you slip your wheels a little. Unfortunatly it works fine with my Hypertech. It would be nice if Hypertech would make it an option to permanently turn off traction control.
You may want to check out TCS Logic Module - have no idea if it would retrofit - you need to call them.

SLP Engineering

Ted,

I definitely hear where your coming from. I'm a racer at heart, so I guess I'm just being picky about it. I want to have the option to enable/disable when I want. Also I guess it's more so that I wasn't expecting the TC to be affected. I think the TC will come handy on rainy days, if my other half needs to borrow the truck, and in the snow when we go skiing :)

Well I got mine today and it worked great.
Un like the superchip witch locked up my av
UMMMMM maybe it was superchip and not my av
Anyway I like it very much ;D

Yes, it's looking more and more like the problem must be an issue with my particular programmer (or my particular truck!?).

Sean from Hypertech called this morning and asked me for some specific info on my truck- 5.3/tire size/VIN#. He told me he is looking into the problem and working on it now.

Bonus- He also indicated to me that he saw our messages here on the board regarding Hypertech. So it's great to see that feedback is reaching them. I'll update everyone when I receive the programmer back...

Ohh Johnny!!!

Ruff Day huh?

I feel for ya...

Hey, I think there is a little battery in the HPP3 that retains certain things... I might be wrong though... It's worth checking out... Make sure there is NO NONE NOT ONE IOTA is current draw on the truck battery... Dome light, head lights, drl's, Onstar, yada yada yada ...

BTW, I am 100% sure your die hard is Johnson Controls... (Best I think) ?The following are all Johnson Controls batteries: ?Equalizer, ?Kirkland (Costco), Everstart (Wal-Mart), Motorcraft, Optima, Prostart (Pep Boys), Truestart (Toyota) , DuraLast(AutoZone), Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda, Eveready (Murrays), Energizer, Power Connection, Die Hard ...

11H

installed the pp3 about 2 months ago and have had no problems. I will have to reprogram for a tire change next week. Will let you all know how it goes. Anyone have any expierence programing for a tire height change? Thanks

hey guys,

Just installed my programmer, loved it! It was a piece of cake.

I had to redo it several times to adjust the rpm + .

but other than that. Big difference. I have my Flow masters, K&N, and the programmer.

huh, what's next....

later.

Ok, I told you I would respond to this thread as soon as I had a chance to test out the Hypertech completely. Its a no brainer. 87 octane programing with shift firmness is great. 93 octane programing with shift firmness is even better. At first, I got a little pinging, but once I ran that gas out and bought gas at another location, the pinging went away. Gas treatment got me through the first bad tank. I do love the programer. If you want a throtle to be alot more responsive, firmer shifts, improved performance, and rid yourself of the speedo limiter, than this mod is for you. The instructions are easy to understand, and no problems at all installing. Now, I do see one problem with the hypertech. For some reason, I think my tires are going to prematurly wear out. >:D

MOD ON

Wiki

I've had it installed since April 02 and no problems, knock on wood. For me, it definitely is a must have.

A friend of mine who also has an AV, but doesn't have the programmer noticed the firmness and pep in my AV right away.

Well I'm glad there are so many positive responses to Hypertech here. Unfortunately for me, I still haven't received my programmer that I sent back in for service back on Sept. 28 :8:

Since three weeks have gone by and no delivery from UPS at my front door I decided to give Hypertech a call. Turns out that after they called me on Oct.4 to verify my VIN# they dropped the ball and haven't done anything with my programmer since :8: :8:

I tried to pin him down to tell me when I'm going to get it back, but he just said if there are any issues he will call me.

All I can say is that I really love all the performance enhancements the programmer did for my Av the few days I had it, and I can't wait to reprogram my CPU again, but if I get it back and that TC light comes back on I'm gonna be ticked off!! :7:

Thank god I got my Kodiak steps installed today.
Whew. :cool:

I ordered my Hypertech today. I'll have it by Thursday. Did you guys get any benefit changing out the thermostat? Or is it not really required? What gains is the Hypertech going to give me in the pedal? I have the Airaid, Poweraide and the Borla so this is the finishing touch before I put the JBA headers. I am skipping on the whipple I can't go real crazy. (Maybe if I fall into an extra 4K I'll do it)

Back