• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Service Suspension System DIC message

tamijets

I have had an intermittent message from the DIC saying "Service Suspension System". I am out of town and wondering how serious this is and if I can reset the message to see if it comes up again. Any help? ???

Thanks,
I'm from the Atlanta area.
I disconnected the battery to try that initially with no success. Later I started the truck with the remote start and guess what...no message. After reading all of the posts about the remote system effecting other things I thought I would try that. We'll see if it stays clear. :E:

Well, the message came back so I took it to the dealership. They immediately took it in and said it was a hard code and the compressor was not coming on so they are addressing that now. They also said I needed the recall 07003 for the dead battery deal which happened once so far. I have 24" wheels/tires which I am running at 45psi which would trigger the check tire pressure warning when they got hot. They are clearing the code with the Tech2 so it will think everything is normal at 45 plus normal heating.
We'll see how it turns out.

I'm getting this error now too!  I have 11K miles on my Avy.  I haven't taken it to the dealer yet.  Anyone else have this problem?

You guys that don't have it in your profile or sig should post whether you have an LTZ or 6.0L (w/ Autoride), the Z71, or the standard suspension (LTs).

The error became more consistent....took it to the dealer...plugged up the computer....right front actuator sensor bad.  No part in the state of Texas had to order from Detroit and will be in next week sometime.  I let you know if this fixes the problem.

stalzd said:
The error became more consistent....took it to the dealer...plugged up the computer....right front actuator sensor bad.  No part in the state of Texas had to order from Detroit and will be in next week sometime.  I let you know if this fixes the problem.
good luck!

Anyone else  notice that the 'fix' for too many problems on modern cars is to replace the sensors, and not the supposed bad component? It's as if by making the vehicles more reliable, the manufactures have to find another way to make money on parts after the initial sales, so they make cheap sensors that constantly fail and give off false positives.

100 whopping miles on mine (5 days of ownership), and I got this error code too.

Taking it in this afternoon to see if it's one of the issues here, or a new one!

If it's something new, I'll post up for future victims' reference. (y)

I have a 2010 ltz w/ autoride. Same message.  Reading on the forum looks like some people are buying scanners, I bought a obd2/can scanner and no falt codes????  Why does this have to be a dealer only issue. ???  I refuse to take it to the dealer because if I knew the problem then I think I would be mechanically inclined enough to fix it myself. Any help would be appreciated. 

tamijets said:
I have had an intermittent message from the DIC saying "Service Suspension System". I am out of town and wondering how serious this is and if I can reset the message to see if it comes up again. Any help? ???
  You have 2wd on a LTZ???, never knew one existed????  When I tried to order one way back, GM only sold 4 wd or all wd, so I got the Z version (that remark will get comments with 2wd and all...ha)
I'm a 2wd guy my self and like to ride, but I trust your auto level system is crapping out for the codes. Those auto shocks are pricy.

Reviving an old post.

Went out for lunch today and got the service suspension system message. 43K miles on the truck. Drove it a few miles, stopped for lunch, re-started the truck and the message was still on. Called OnStar with the truck running and with the message showing on the DIC. I wanted them to pull the code in case it was intermittent. They ran a diagnostic and said no codes found. ??? If there are no codes then why is the message there? So much for OnStar, pretty useless.

Going into the dealer tomorrow, hopefully 1) they will find and fix the problem and 2) it will be covered under the certified pre-owned warranty.

Hey MLM! I have a 2013 black diamond LTZ that has been giving me the "service suspension system" message in the DIC as well. My father and brother are both mechanics and their OBDII systems are not able to read any error codes from that system. After talking with 3 dealerships it sounds like my family may not have the appropriate software to see the error code with their OBD readers. The one dealership that had an appointment available in the next 2 weeks wants $130 just to simply plug in and tell me the code.... So, I am hoping you found a solution to your service suspension message and are willing to enlighten me on the cause? Thanks in advance!

Yeah I meant to follow up. The message went away after two start cycles and hasn't come back since that happened a few days ago. I also tried my code reader but didn't find anything, although I suspect only the Tech 2 can read these codes. I canceled the dealer appointment because I bet they are going to tell me that they can't find anything wrong and I don't want to pay a hundred bucks for that. Especially since OnStar said they didn't see any codes even while the message was on.

If (when) it acts up again hopefully it will persist long enough so I can get the dealer to see what's going on.

Does anyone have a shop manual that can tell us what codes trip the message and if any of them are stored in history? I know from experience that not all codes are stored in history (i.e. tire pressure sensor fault) or at least not long enough for the dealer to find it.

I had my 2013 LTZ in for this 2 weeks ago and tomorrow they are replacing the sensor and the shock.

TLDR (too long didn't read): Is there any way to get the chassis "C" code from my 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond without paying a dealer?

I now suspect my issue is with one of the sensors either on the ride height or shock. To update you on where I am now, here's what I have done:
- The service suspension message was intermittent over the past 4 months until the past 2 months, when it became a consistent DIC message.
- The compressor motor would engage after turning the key to on for the 4 second self test until the past 4 months. Now, I do not hear it turn on at all for any reason.
- I have an OBD2 scanner, but (as I suspected) it reports no faults in any of the sensors visible to the OBD system. However, as I have learned through these informative posts, the suspension system is a different control module that must be communicated with via a tech 2 scanner.
- Up to 2010 Chevrolet vehicles need a tech 2 scanner in order to obtain information and perform things like a bumpstop reset. Vehicles made from 2014 on will need a PC and MDI factory scan tool. Vehicles from 2010-2013 (mine is a 2013) require a tech 2 scanner with updated software (via Tis2Web which requires a GM service subscription) or tech2win which requires an OBD to USB cable.
- My father has a tech 2 scanner that we hooked up (unfortunately the "service suspension system" was not displayed for the first time in 2 months). However, it does not have the updated software and only goes up to 2010. No communication was obtained with my vehicle.
- We jumped the relay to the compressor motor, and it kicks on without any problem and airs up the shocks. The shocks appear to hold pressure for at least an hour (although I did not measure the PSI). We removed the air intake to the shocks to make sure it was building pressure. We visually checked the wiring and compressor motor and nothing appears corroded.
- After removing the air and re-inflating the shocks, the system was now giving me a "service stabilitrak", "service traction control" and "service suspension" message again.
- I removed the battery cable, let set for 20 minutes, and reconnected the battery. To my surprise, no error messages at all. I turned the key to on and the self test kicked in! I turned it off for a few minutes, and repeated. Self test again! After trying a third time, no self test and "service suspension" message back.
- The next morning I started the vehicle with no error messages. 48 hours later, message comes back on.  
- I had not ever activated my OnStar in the vehicle, but had read that "advanced diagnostics" can be done with OnStar. So I activated my free 3 month subscription. Their diagnostics returned "no error codes" after running their diagnostics.The representative simply kept repeating "it is returning no error codes" and was very unhelpful as to what vehicle modules they can check.

At this point, I have contacted 4 Chevrolet dealers and they all want $120-130 per hour to simply hook their updated tech 2 to my vehicle and give me the codes. The earliest appointments are one week from now and some say it takes them 1-2 hours to perform "diagnostics". I'm starting to get a little frustrated with this whole process and it seems a bit like a racket. Why not allow the person who purchased the vehicle access to a the error code generated on a system capable of GPS, LTE, satalite radio, dvd screens, etc... without the use of a highly specialized and expensive tool? Is there any way to get these codes without paying a (in my opinion) excessive charge to plug in an instrument and read codes? My father has access to online GM manuals through his work and I have reviewed the possible error codes it may give me (i believe there are 5 possible with what I've narrowed down). I simply need to know which code. Any ideas or help are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for the knowledge I have already extracted from these forums!

Jordyb25x said:
At this point, I have contacted 4 Chevrolet dealers and they all want $120-130 per hour to simply hook their updated tech 2 to my vehicle and give me the codes. The earliest appointments are one week from now and some say it takes them 1-2 hours to perform "diagnostics". I'm starting to get a little frustrated with this whole process and it seems a bit like a racket. Why not allow the person who purchased the vehicle access to a the error code generated on a system capable of GPS, LTE, satalite radio, dvd screens, etc... without the use of a highly specialized and expensive tool? Is there any way to get these codes without paying a (in my opinion) excessive charge to plug in an instrument and read codes? My father has access to online GM manuals through his work and I have reviewed the possible error codes it may give me (i believe there are 5 possible with what I've narrowed down). I simply need to know which code. Any ideas or help are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for the knowledge I have already extracted from these forums!

It is a racket and it is probably going to get worse. I'm also not happy that OnStar can't see any codes and instead just reads me a script that says "go to the dealer."

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

Update: dealer found high internal resistance in right rear shock, replaced shock under GM Certified Pre-Owned warranty. Otherwise part would have cost over $400 for one shock. There's no way to troubleshoot these suspension problems on your own after the warranty expires.

HADN'T BEEN ON HERE IN A WHILE.  wrecked MY 2004 z66.
Bought a 2010. I have it too
Theses guys seem to know what they are talking about

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/eliminating-gm-electronic-suspension-issues/

I have it t00

2010 LTZ Gray

Back