• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing Or Adjusting Speed Governor

TXAVALANCHE1

Last week I had to rush my little girl to the Emergency Room with a Head Injury. Everything turned out to be Ok thankfully. However, in getting there my truck would shut down at around 98 or 99 mph. I would like to either disable this function or readjust it to a higher speed. I don't plan to drive like that again, but I would like to have it available if I need it. In situations like that seconds count. So, if anybody could get me going i the right directon I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

David

minor change to subject line

The best thing to do is install the Hypertech Power Programmer III or the Predator.
I don't have either one, but I did have the HPP III in my Tahoe and it worked great! It would top out at 128mph.

Here is their site Hypertech

Manny

People in here should be able to help ya...look at all the computer thingys they sell.....

First and most importantly - I, along with all of the CAFCNA, am glad your little girl is ok. ?Secondly, I agree with Manny (Sicilianos Avy) in that the Hypertech is the most simple way of adjusting your speed limiter to a max. of 128MPH as well as the other benefits of the hypertech unit. Also, Welcome to the club ! Texas is a huge part of the CAFCNA with many Avalanche cruises every month.

Glad your daughter is all right and welcome to the board. If you were running down 146 at 99MPH to say Baytown Medical Center I hope you didn?t have a couple of troupers following behind you! :eek:

The situation you described is one of the reason I went with the programmer to remove the governor. I understand GM uses the limiter because the factory tires are only H rated. Doesn?t make much sense as H tires are rated up to 112MPH. I have S rated tires now and a 128MPH limiter so if I ever had to run that fast the tires would be ok, now braking is another topic. :p

We cruised your area two weeks ago, 22AVs at the San Jac Monument and Battle Ship Texas, check out the cruise section under South Central for pics and join us next time. :cool:

I might have a HPPIII for sale. Just need to get some other details taken care of. Can't elaborate! I will post in the for sale section when I am ready to sell. 50% off full retail will be the price!!!!!!

Wiki

Johnny_D,,,

I understand GM uses the limiter because the factory tires are only H rated. ?Doesn?t make much sense as H tires are rated up to 112MPH. ?I have S rated tires now and a 128MPH limiter so if I ever had to run that fast the tires would be ok, now braking is another topic.

I know that this isn't really the thread to bring this up, but I don't want some to read, and look up the wrong numbers... The av doesn't come oem with "H" rated tires... If you have the Wrangler HP or the Wrangler AT/s, they are of an "S" rating, and that's 112 or 113 MPH depending on where you look... The sidewall is stamped 113S ... An "H" rated tire is rated at a max speed of 130 MPH ... If you have the base wheel and tire, Firestone LE (P265/70/R16) it is stamped 111S on the sidewall ...

Purely for clarification only... ::: ? >:D

*** These speeds are "TEST" speeds, "NOT" recommended speeds. I would recommend a daily driven tire be rated at least 25% beyond the sustained speeds you expect ...

Q Up to 100mph
S Up to 112mph
T Up to 118mph
U Up to 124mph
H Up to 130mph
V Up to 149mph
W Up to 168mph
Y Up to 186mph
Z 149mph and over

11H

TXAVALANCHE1

Glad to hear she was ok. Welcome to the board but unfortunatly I know nothing about tires or governors.

dday

11H said:
Johnny_D,,,

I know that this isn't really the thread to bring this up, but I don't want some to read, and look up the wrong numbers... The av doesn't come oem with "H" rated tires... If you have the Wrangler HP or the Wrangler AT/s, they are of an "S" rating, and that's 112 or 113 MPH depending on where you look... The sidewall is stamped 113S ... An "H" rated tire is rated at a max speed of 130 MPH ... If you have the base wheel and tire, Firestone LE (P265/70/R16) it is stamped 111S on the sidewall ...

Holy Shxt Batman, I got my S's and H's reversed! My bad.

*** These speeds are "TEST" speeds, "NOT" recommended speeds. I would recommend a daily driven tire be rated at least 25% beyond the sustained speeds you expect ...

11H

11H it would appear that you are saying that with the factory tires that if you're running a sustained speed of 84MPH that you believe that they're unsafe?? ???? Anything over 84MPH would be within 25% of the S rating. ?I guess I was lucky not to have a tire failure with the HP's with that logic. ?

I'm sure you never drive over 84MPH ?>:D

Thanks everyone...........I'll look around for a programmer. Wikki...please let me be the first to know if you decide to sell your programmer. Johnny D......I wish I had seen a trooper...He could have moved traffic out of the way for me. Here is the traveling story....I can only enjoy it now knowing that she is fine.

We left Anahuac at aprox. 4:55 pm.......and my wife is/was a charge nurse at san jacinto in baytown...she did not want to take her there! So, off we went to the texas childrens in downtown.......at 5:00 rush hour I remind you....we arrived at aprox. .....5:20 pm!!!! A new record for driving in houston traffic I'm sure.

The truck did FANTASTIC!!!!!! and I thank with all my heart the people that recognized a speeding vehicle with its emergency flashers on that moved quickly out of the way....(didn't hurt that it was a big ass truck) the others...well next time I push them! It was a fun drive..one that reminded me of when I raced SCCA many years ago. I hope I never have to do that again. Unless I'm back on the track again...........(god I do miss it) lol

The funny part is that during that little jaunt to the city we passed only three police cars......and all of them were in the Medical center. Not one of them even turned on their lights.....or tried in any way to slow or stop me. I guess they are used to things like that there.

If anyone would like to know more about Chevy's speed sensitve steering or the suspension handling of the Avalanche I will be more than happy to oblige with the information that I know first hand.

Also, if anyone is looking or you know someone who is looking ive just started my own business for Health and Life Insurance...so if I could help anyone hear you would be helping me out in return.......

I appreciate your inputs...and look forward to seeing and meeting some of you......and chatting with the others.

David

Anahuac to the Med Center in 25 minutes, you should replace life flight! :eek:

Having serviced all the hospitals from Texas City to Beaumont for 5 years when I was with Motorola I understand why you went to the Medical Center ?:-X

Johnny_D,,,

11H it would appear that you are saying that with the factory tires that if you're running a sustained speed of 84MPH that you believe that they're unsafe?? Anything over 84MPH would be within 25% of the S rating. I guess I was lucky not to have a tire failure with the HP's with that logic.

I guess I am just trying to take into account some of the following extreme cases, not that we would be guilty of any of them...

1. Over 50% of all tires on the road are "underinflated"
2. A portion of tires on the road have sustained some sort of unforseen slicing, belt slippage, hauled heavy loads, and visual inspection is nil ... How many people do you think inspect the inside sidewall of their truck tires? Much less check for damage at all or pressure before they run them up to or past the max speed rating ?

3. The oem tires in my opinion are not as strong as say a LT rated tire, and merely running over a obstacle may put a tire into the danger zone at speed... (ie, the wife hit a ladder on the freeway last week, and forgot to tell you... )

4. Tires may have irregular or excessive wear...

I am not saying anyone viewing this thread is guilty of any of this by all means ... >:D

SOOOO, considering statistically over 50% of tires are underinflated, our P Rated tires have suffered minor cuts/abrasions, haul 6K plus around daily in some climates over 110 degrees, may have been impacted with some sort of road object, etc...

So, I guess you could say, that if I had to jump in any 3 ton truck that came oem with P rated, S rated tires or any rating for that matter, considering the issues faced by a daily driven truck tire I mention above, I would emphatically say, that if I had to drive over 85 mph, I would be nervous... If I can't feel warm about doing this in every av, then I have to account for the unforseen variables a truck tire might experience, and then could not recommend to others to run any S rated truck tire to it's limit ...

BUT ... If your truck tires are maintained meticulously, and you are fully aware of their on-road history, then by all means, run them to 100 or so ... But I still don't feel ALL oem av tires can sustain speeds over 100 mph without fail...

So, a revised percentage for properly treated daily driven tires is due for the maintenance oriented people who would never subject their tires to unforseen abuse or damage ... Then I would say a 10% margin should suffice ... But please, don't hold me to it ...

I feel comfy running my oem wranglers up to about 100-110, but not for long, with me being the only occupant and with plenty of room to stop... >:D

11H

11H said:
I feel comfy running my oem wranglers up to about 100-110, but not for long, with me being the only occupant and with plenty of room to stop.

You make some good points, especially the only occupant with plenty of room to stop; I'll add lots of open and unoccupied road for additional safety.

While I think 25% in a bit extreme for someone who performs routine maintenance on there tires (proper inflation, rotated and balanced) I would keep it in mind that the factory tires are truck tires and not sport car tires.

peace/out

Please beware that my son works for a gm dealership and he says they now are able to detect any type of device that is used to remove or adjust the governor on these vehicles and that it voids your warranty. Just thought ya'll might like to know what we have been told by our son. Believe me he knows that his dad's best position is on the floor and over 100 while driving. That's why he drives a dodge no governor.

texshot,,,

Please beware that my son works for a gm dealership and he says they now are able to detect any type of device that is used to remove or adjust the governor on these vehicles and that it voids your warranty.

Interesting ... Hold on to your hat maa ... Here goes ... !!!

?What is recommended is that whatever handheld programmer is used, that the truck be placed back into stock configuration before the dealer visit... I do believe, and it's nothing new, that if the GM tech is experienced enough, he can tell if the PCM has been altered; only if the Hypertech or Diablo tuning is installed... Again, I stress HIGHLY experienced tech... If the vehicle is placed back to stock, a Tech2 unit doesn't have the capability OR do most techs have the capability or time willingness to realize it has been previously programmed or deprogrammed ... What usually raises questions is if the Tech2 is not able to re-write the prom, and you have the Hypertech box in the back seat or stickers adorning the engine compartment... LOL ... (pretty rare) ... Most techs that deal with the PCM have no idea what even the generic parameters mean; they just perform DTC pulls, re-flashes and revisions... The DTC directs them to the GM Online resource of common problems and they go from there ... Or they might already be familiar with the DTC number and avoid the online support ... Whatever the case, there is no reason to believe that a tech will stumble upon this in your PCM and miraculously void your warranty ... ?:2: ?... ?If the PCM is the culprit, they attempt a re-flash, them replace it if that don't work... There are no Tech/PCM Police looking over our shoulders everytime there is a PCM related failure ?:2: ... IMHO ... They are not tuning gods by all means; and I would venture to say, if your PCM acts up, as long as you don't devulge that you played with it, the techs will re-flash it and move on as it's the quickest method... Now if the PCM cannot be reflashed, they have already plugged into it themselves, and may feel they don't have the expertise or tools to investigate and untimately don't want a dis-abled vehicle taking up their bay; and will probably put in a new PCM ... Afterall, a PCM R&R makes them good money ... ?Using an aftermarket tuner, even if you had it installed and a problem arose, if you play dumb, I sincerely believe that there are not many techs that could prove the programmer contributed, and won't deny the claim ... But be prepared for some questions if a new PCM is required IMHO ... Now, rumor has it, in 2004, the Tech2 will need a special unit that goes between the Tech2 and DLC port to be able to interface ... It is getting harder and harder for the aftermarket to "invade" the oem PCM's ... And eventually, they won't be able to be accessed by many tuners... It's a cause vs. effect thing, and now that the world is flooded with handhelds, it is becoming an increasing issue with the oem's to inhibit access ...

Now to address the comment, "it will void your warranty." ... Nothing directed at you or your son, but I get tired of hearing this from dealers... If they knew anything about legality, and how this whole warranty thing works in relation to aftermarket parts, they would be thinking twice before blurting this nonsense... Again, I was not there when your son spoke the words, and don't know the context it was spoke, so I will not say he's wrong, but if a dealership told me that my warranty was void because I raised the speed limiter, I would move to another dealer to avoid the contest ... ?:cool:

Again, I mean no malice... But when I hear the words, "that mod will void your warranty; the dealer told me so..." --- I get a little rampant... Sorry bud... ?;D

11H

11H said:
... If they knew anything about legality, and how this whole warranty thing works in relation to aftermarket parts, they would be thinking twice before blurting this nonsense... Again, I was not there when your son spoke the words, and don't know the context it was spoke, so I will not say he's wrong, but if a dealership told me that my warranty was void because I raised the speed limiter, I would move to another dealer to avoid the contest ... ?:cool:

Again, I mean no malice... But when I hear the words, "that mod will void your warranty; the dealer told me so..." --- I get a little rampant... Sorry bud... ?;D

11H

I interpret the law as, aftermarket products are legal by law, assuming they don't break any law (emissions). But ask 2 lawyers and you'll get 10 different answers!

Lex Luthor

Ok, I'm going OT here...but this seems the place to start it. a lot of us have had our AV's a while and will be getting new tires soon. What should we get? Of course we'll have differnt applications, but lets cover those too.

Lex Luthor

texshot said:
Please beware that my son works for a gm dealership and he says they now are able to detect any type of device that is used to remove or adjust the governor on these vehicles and that it voids your warranty. ?Just thought ya'll might like to know what we have been told by our son. ?Believe me he knows that his dad's best position is on the floor and over 100 while driving. ?That's why he drives a dodge no governor.

Texshot,

I hear that same line from my brother-in-law who is a service manager and has worked for most of the major auto manufactures at one time or the other. As long as the mod is not the cause of the failure of a part under warranty they have to repair it, it's da law (y)

This was sent to me by one of the most respected speed shops here is Houston:

THE TRUTH

Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty ? Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer?s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, that means a dealer can?t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle?s warranty, check the owner?s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as ?What Is Not Covered? Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

VEHICLE DEALERS OBLIGATIONS

Suppose your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Without analyzing the true cause of the problem, the dealer attempts to deny warranty coverage. He made his decision simply based on the fact that you?ve installed aftermarket equipment ? a convenient way to dodge low-paying warranty work.

An example of how ridiculous this can get is the man who was denied warranty coverage by a dealer on his power door locks, because he had improved his exhaust system! Sounds nuts? It really happened ? because that man did not know his rights and challenge the dealer?s decision.

Fact: A dealer must prove ? not just say ? that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

YOUR RIGHTS

Point out to the dealer the provision of the Magnuson-Moss Act- Require that he explain to you how the aftermarket equipment caused the problem. If he can?t ? or his explanation sounds questionable ? it is your legal right to demand he comply with the warranty.

Fact: If you are still being unfairly denied warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty issues. Direct complaints to the FCT at (202) 326-3128.

DODGE MOTORS
?Certain changes that you might make to your truck do not, by themselves, void the warranties described in this booklet. Examples of some of these changes are: installing non-Chrysler parts, components, or equipment.? ? 1997 Warranty Information supplement to Dodge

Owner?s Manual:
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
?If a Chevrolet part fails due to a defect in material or workmanship not related to (on aftermarket products) or the labor to install it. Chevrolet would be responsible for covering the failed part.? ? Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center

FORD MOTOR COMPANY:
?Installation of a non-genuine Ford item does not, in and of itself, render warranty void.? ? Ford Owner Relations Division
FEDERAL LAW

?In order to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall. . .fully and conspicuously disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions of such warranty. Such rules . . . require inclusion in the written warranty of any . . . exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.? ? Magnuson-Moss Warranty & Federal Trade Commission improvement Act. Section 2302(a)

Motorsport Technologies Inc.

Johnny_D,,,

Superb brutha !

I think many folk should print that out... It is a good piece of info all crammed into one presentation... I like the twist from Dodge and Ford... Way to pit them against each other eh ?

Again, this thread almost deserves going into the resource section IMHO !

11H

Back