• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HyperTech Question

Billy3sticks

Hey folks,

I've recently joined the PPlll club and I was wondering if anyone can provide me with a few pointers in some of the settings. I currently have the rev limiter @ 6000, The shift points are at 1, 2=2...3,4=3...4,5=4. The shift is firm and top speed is 128, just to name a few.

I know it's all about personal preference, but I was hoping anyone with prior knowledge and experience could save me a little time in re-programming to peak my AV's performance.

I also just installed the K&N FIPK system too.

I'm driving a 02 Z-71 (5.3)

Thanks,

GoBot

Cool. Having the HPPIII makes a big difference!
I went with:
Power Tuning at 87 Octane
Rev Limiter: 6000
Top Speed: 128
Shift Firmness: Yes
1-2: +5
2-3: +7
3-4: +9

Hitting nearly 6k in second gear while getting on the interstate or passing while on the interstate is impressive!

Jamie

Jaime,

Thanks for the info. I'll make the change later this week and let you know. I know that where I have it now already makes a big difference, but i'm sure it will make a deffinate difference with those shift point changes.
Can you feel the firmness better going into second at those shift changes?

BTW I like what you've done to the lights on your AV. I'm going to make the same changes to mine as soon as I find a little time in my day.

Have a good day :)

With those shift points, she's pretty stout! LIke I said, first trial run, got on the onramp to the interstate. By the time I hit the bottom of the ramp, I was doing about 75 in second gear at about 5900. Scared the crap out of me! Now, anytime on the interstate you push hard enough, she literally jumps out of her tracks when she downshifts! It is thoroughly impressive. I was giving my buddy a ride to pick up his snowblower the other day and he was quite impressed. Of course with the Magnaflow on, it sounds good outside as well!

Enjoy :love: your HPPIII

Jamie

Jaime,

Now I really can't wait to change them...I know what you mean about the sound too. I have Flowmaster series #40 exaust with the K&N FIPK system on mine and sometimes I forget I'm in a truck and not in a Race car. I LOVE THAT SOUND!!! :cool:

Does it kick down into gear a lot easier with those shift points? I know that the shift ponts, you almost have to stand on it to kick back a gear or two before it starts to move. Will this improve as well?

GoBot

Did your AV come with the decal package? I love that Avalanche mountain scene. That's awesome (y)

The decal scheme or "Mountain Edition" Av I have is care of Rich at streamlinedesign. If you go to the Accessories & Mods FAQ, you'll see the posts about the "Avalanche Mountain" decals. There are 3 different threads. For all 8 decals (visor warning labels, C-pillar, front & rear and Z71).

The shifting is much firmer with the setting of shift firmness. Although if you want a tight shift, I'd suggest always driving in Tow/Haul mode. I'm just not sure if the HPPIII works in that setting...

Jamie

TN AV03,

I can't believe they don't have that yet. I thought for sure they would. Have you considered the preditor system instead. I know that that's out for "03" AV.

GoBot

Gobot said:
TN AV03,

I can't believe they don't have that yet. I thought for sure they would. Have you considered the preditor system instead. I know that that's out for "03" AV.

GoBot

I have considered the Predator, but I like the fact that the HPPIII allows you to tune at 87 octane instead of just at 91+ octane like the predator. I'm going to try to hold a bit longer and see if Hypertech comes out with the '03 version.

TN AV03 said:
I have considered the Predator, but I like the fact that the HPPIII allows you to tune at 87 octane instead of just at 91+ octane like the predator. ?I'm going to try to hold a bit longer and see if Hypertech comes out with the '03 version.

You can run the Predator with 87, there are several people who currently do it. You will have to retard the spark some to avoid KR. That's all hypertech does..

-Chris

TN AV03 said:
I have considered the Predator, but I like the fact that the HPPIII allows you to tune at 87 octane instead of just at 91+ octane like the predator. ?I'm going to try to hold a bit longer and see if Hypertech comes out with the '03 version.

I'd like to get one of these. Any problems with premature trany wear or factory warranty?

:8: HELP!!!

I cannot find the HPPIII in the Houston area. I have called every dealer that is listed on Hypertech's website and 95% of them have no clue what I'm talking about and the other 5% say that the HPPIII is not made for the AV's or that they cannot even order it.

....side question....i'm not Tim "the Toolman" so where is the best places to go to have a K&N FIPK installed?

SlashDG91 said:

I cannot find the HPPIII in the Houston area. ?I have called every dealer that is listed on Hypertech's website and 95% of them have no clue what I'm talking about and the other 5% say that the HPPIII is not made for the AV's or that they cannot even order it.

....side question....i'm not Tim "the Toolman" so where is the best places to go to have a K&N FIPK installed?

Try:Hypertech

SlashDG91 said:

I cannot find the HPPIII in the Houston area. ?I have called every dealer that is listed on Hypertech's website and 95% of them have no clue what I'm talking about and the other 5% say that the HPPIII is not made for the AV's or that they cannot even order it.

4wheelparts has them for the '02 in both locations, also MTI off Dairy Ashford has them. I don't think that they are released for the '03 model yet, but could be wrong.

gandolphxx,
Thanks for the locations. Dairy Ashford is easy to find...just follow 800 million cars that have no clue where they are going. ;D

you don't happen to know of a good rim/tire shop in town also?

Check the "where to buy on http://www.gandolphxx.com - American Wheel & Tire #2, LTD does a pretty fair job - right on the outskirts of the old Northwest Mall off Hempstead.

Also check with Zeeya, he found a wharehouse location, but I don't have the reference handy - PM him.

Can the HPPIII be used on more than one vehicle? Or does it take the VIN of the first vehicle and that's all you get?

Only used on one at a time. It logs the VIN and stock programming in its non-volatile flash memory. To use it on another truck, you have to restore the original truck to stock.

Jamie

Just installed my HPPIII tuning last night and what a difference!

One question I do have is would it be worthwhile to re-tune after other performance modifications such as installing a K&N FIPK or an exhaust system?

I don't see any reason to simply for the fact that the HPP does not know(or seems to me) if these mods are installed...

The only good advice I got here was to remove the negative lead before doing any performance mod. That way when you reconnect when finished, the computer resets itself and will start using new parameters as the old ones were "flushed" out of memory with the power loss. I'm not sure if you'd have to re-tune with the HPPIII or not though... Hmm...

Gandolphxx, care to add any knowledge?

Jamie

I've posted on other threads and haven't received any responses. So, here we go on this thread.

I see lots of settings for the HPPIII on Z71. I have a Z66 with 20" rims and I'm needing help on any special settings. I have not received the HPPIII yet....it's on the brown truck heading this way. Any help is appreciated.

I see lots of settings for the HPPIII on Z71. I have a Z66 with 20" rims and I'm needing help on any special settings. I have not received the HPPIII yet....it's on the brown truck heading this way. Any help is appreciated.

Since you have the 20's, I cannot help you on settings, but I can help you to figure them out...

On the shift points at WOT, start with a rev limiter setting of 6,000 ... Don't move it any higher ...

Drive the truck, on some full throttle runs on the highway where you have some room... First off, start with the 1-2 shift ... Put it at +1 ... Then drive it... If it shifts at or near 5800-5900 on the tach, leave it there ... If is shifting early (before 5800-5900) then go back in and change it to +2 ... Do this until you shift at 5900 or so, without bumping the rev limiter... If you do bump the rev limiter on a setting, back it down to one MPH less, and you should be fine... Do this on the 2-3 shift also ... You will get going pretty fast, so make sure you realize that... 2nd gear holds on for a while once you get the 1-2 shift set... It will feel foreign at first, just make sure you have the rev limiter set at 6,000, and you know if you make an adjustment too far, it will bump or lean on the rev limiter which is what it's supposed to do... You need to find also, the diameter of the tire you are running, and enter that as close as possible into the hypertech when it gives you the choice... That value needs to be accurate, most tire manufacturers have a chart showing various specs... 1/4" off will make a difference, so make sure it's right on in the Hypertech... Do that before you mess with the shift points...

It is gonna be trial and error since you have changed the oem tire height drastically... Once you get it set, you should be right on with the speedo, and shifting every gear at or near 5900 at wide open... If one day the truck bumps the rev limiter on a 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift, you will have to bo back in and back that gear change down 1 mph to keep away from the limiter...

11H

Slash, what is your tire size? The fact that the wheel o.d. is 20" is unimportant. The o.d. of the tire is important. It may, in fact, be the same as your stock tire o.d. and require no change. As a starting point, you could try +2, +7, and +9. Starting at +3 on the 1-2 hits the limiter on my Av with 3.73:1's.

A 305/50/20 will have a diameter of roughly 31.9-32.3 depending on manuf...

A 325/50/20 will have a diameter of roughly 32.7 to 33.2

These are 2 very common sizes for 20" rims...

OEM is 265/70/17 ... Dia of 31.5 - 31.9 ... The oem GYears are 31.6 ...

So I guess when I was referencing 20" RIMS, I was realizing the most common tire application size, which is significantly taller... Sorry I misled Steel...

11H

Here's what I have on:

Goodyear Eagle GT II
P285/50R-20 ?111H BSL

They have an overall diameter of 31.2

If it matters, the wheels are American Racing Maxims.

Back