• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hypertech Update !!!

11H

Hypertech Update!!!

I just got off the phone with Hypertech, and after a 29 minute call, I found out all my theories / facts about my earlier posts in the "SUPERCHIPS POLL" thread about programming and the technical details were all true... Hypertech in 96 DID do part throttle calibrations with all functions, and had to legally label it "for off-road use only" ... I asked if there was the grey area defenition of WOT being 80-100%, and he said about 85-100% ... He asked if I was an oem or competitor, due to the questions I asked... ha,ha... Like Hannibal Smith used to say, " I like it when a plan comes together."

Another thing I want to share, he said a technician CANNOT tell a hypertech programmer was used on a vehicle because, when you go back to stock programming, the programmer erases whatever performance program you uploaded previously, and re-writes the oem version all over fresh... The part # 30012 for all 2002 4.3,4.8,5.3,6.0,8.1 is actually a complex unit...It has several versions built in, and cost them big money to build... He said the 30012 is guaranteed to make 10hp, and 25+ lbft torque... And all of the dyno sheets are REAL, and he has records for anyone refuting them... All were done at their facility in TN... Some in cool months, some in warm... I mentioned the stock HP numbers in the 5.3, 6.0, and 8.1 and how the 5.3 was higher than the 6.0, and 2 shy of the 8.1 ... The 8.1 was 4wd... He mentioned the 4L80E pulls the RWHP down greatly... All their trucks are borrowed from a local dealership off the lot... Also, he mentioned that alot of people don't realize how strong the 5.3 really is... I know alot of guys are putting 4.8/5.3 heads on their LS1 Camaros for a bump in compression, and performance... Gotta go!

Great post! Thanks for the info. I am ordering mine today along with the 180 degree powerstat they make. Is 10 hp and25 tq at the rear wheels? I assume it is. I hope it is!!!

MOD ON

Wiki

not my intention to win all the non-Hypertech folks over (hell I leave that to SuperChips to do all by themselves) but let me just add that I LOVE :love: what the HPPIII did for my Av, performance-wise, speedo-error-wise, upper speed limiter-wise, and firmness of shift-wise.

Wiki,,,

I don't know RWP, or FWP... 10 and 25 sounds pretty boastful though... I would call 'em ... I don't think there is a "cloud with a silver lining" programmer out there... It is just too good to be true... It would be great if plugging in a $350 device would net us enormous gains, but it's wishful thinking...

The days of chipping a Grand National and getting 40+ HP are over...

11H

I have had the pp3 since june and love it. for me it is worth every penny i did the stat and the stat change was fun let me tell you that but my av gets up and goes very well now and i have hit the hpp govenor of 128 and it is interesting at that speed. l8tr

The HPP3's run about 350 +/- a few dollars. This is the second vehicle i have used one on and i can believe the 10HP gain, maybe sometimes feels like a little more when pulling away from the ford crewcabs/ext.cab,,,,,,,definetly not a lightning though............give me a little credit >:D
Has anyone run the HPP3 with the 87 power settings and then moved up to the 91 octane settings running premium. Then installed a 180 or 160 degree thermostat?????????
I ran mine on 87 and 91 power tuning and did not change the thermostat. Did not notice enough difference between the 2 settings to compensate for the cost of the gas. Maybe it only makes a really big difference with the lower thermostat installed??????????
enquireing minds would like to know
I run mine now on 87 power tuning and have detuned and retuned it 4 or 5 times without any problems.
There are a few post on the forum that go into the settings that we have all used on gear shifts and most of us are pretty close on our shifts as far as RPM and MPH over normal shift points.
ZEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAA.................. :B:

Okay, here goes STUPID QUESTION.

Does it help with fuel milage at all?

The SuperChip, yeah, yeah, I know, it don't work half the time, claims to help a little.

Kegger, Sorry to say as much as i drive 3-4000 miles a month that i do not see any improvement in gas mileage.
I was getting 19 plus a few points on straight highway driving with no winds. I just added a 70 series flowmaster last week and last 2 fillups have been about 18.4 that was with a little head wind--10-15 mph with this hurricane down here in South LA.
I am hoping it comes back up after all the winds die down.
My mechanic and i discussed it and with the computer being so sensitive some of the add ons make it run a little lean and some make it run a little rich. I guess if you equal them out ?you will stay the same.
But my answer to the gas mileage is no. My AV and 2001 did not gain any on gas mileage.............
zeeyaaaaaaaa
.02cents........... :(
Oh by the way you can see in my sig below i am running the HPP3

kegger,,,

Do a search on ebay for HYPERTECH 30012 ... The lowest I've seen there is $306 and $7 shipping...

I talked to Doug at Performance International, and found he and his girlfriend were F-Body lunatics too. We talked for almost 2 1/2 hours!!! ... I told him I paid $325 including shipping, and by the way he responded, it sounded like he might have been able to do better... Otherwise try Perry at www.bestdarnparts.com ?they don't list them on their site, but carry them... Perry is really awesome, and will take care of you to a T ... That's where I got mine...

Fuel Mileage- That's a good one... I've heard guys on other truck boards say they lost 1 mpg, and others say they've gained 2 or 3 ... I think to check it accurately, don't check the first tank after you put it in 'cuz that will be the tank you do all your "seat-o-pants" testing with... Install the power 87 tuning, and check your 2nd or 3rd tank and the next 3 or so... make sure you don't vary your habits from now, and it should give you SOME idea... My GUESS would be, if you gave it a fair analysis, it may be a smidge higher or lower worst case... The tuning gain on the 5.3 is not too much diff. than stock, so I would not worry... As far as 93 octane tuning, I was told by Hypertech if your truck stayed at 200 deg all the time, it would be ok to keep the stock thermostat... They recommend the 180, but we have mechanical viscous clutch fans, and I don't see how the truck won't heat up anyways in town... I did the 160 mod on my 99 5.3, with HPP3, and it NEVER ran cooler once it heated up... It would run at 200 around town, and cool off on the freeway to 185 or so... The shop manager at Arizona Speed & Marine here runs the 93 power tuning in summer heat here with mid 89 octane, and has no pinging... He sticks with Chevron fuel though...

Personally, I would not change the stat... It gives the dealer a gripe window... If they run it on a scope, and see it running at different temps., then find the cooler stat changed, it might raise a brow... The beautiful thing about the programmers, is that you program back to stock and they never see it... I have used the 93 tuning on 2 5.3 trucks with the stock stat here in 124 degree heat on GOOD 92 octane fuel and never pinged, detonated, or the like... Leave the stock one there... If you must use the 93 tuning, try it on good fuel... If it pings, go back to 87... then do the stat... I've never needed it... It doesn't work the way you intend it to anyways... The clutch fan we have don't let it... Anyways, I never used the 93 tuning hardly because the difference is minimal in power, and the thought of 3 or 4 hp over 87 never justified the increase in price of fuel OR the risk or carbon build up in the motor...

Oh kegger, i almost forgot... you are not required to run any Hypertech tuning at all when you install it... you can opt to keep the stock tuning, and do all the other stuff the way you want... so if fuel mileage is a concern, don't select YES when it asks if you want power tuning... Also, if you look at all the GM dyno sheets on their web site, all of the 87 runs, and 93 runs are with a stock stat ... it says so on each sheet... If you do a stat, and get it to run cooler, like on the move, YOU WILL be GUARANTEED LOWER MILEAGE for sure... If I've ever been antimate about something in this subject, it's this... Keep your oem stat unless you must absolutely positively change it due to experiencing detonation ... And I can guarantee you won't detonate on 87 tuning... I ran 85 octane with it in Colorado, and drove back to Phoenix with the same gas, and tried to make it ping under load, and it wouldn't Silverton, Colorado is about 7800 above sea level, and Phoenix is about 1600 above... If it were to ping, it would ping in Phoenix on 85 octane fuel for sure...

11H .... Back quiet

Try to take care of our sponsors on the Hypertech. I know they offer them and they may offer a group buy on them. As for cheaper places, yes they may be out there. But when it comes to backing products sold, Tom has proven that he is going to take care of us. Give Tom a try on the Hypertech. Someone call him and ask about a group buy for these.

zeeya2000 said:
Has anyone run the HPP3 with the 87 power settings and then moved up to the 91 octane settings running premium. Then installed a 180 or 160 degree thermostat?????????
I ran mine on 87 and 91 power tuning and did not change the thermostat. Did not notice enough difference between the 2 settings to compensate for the cost of the gas.
I noticed a decent gain using premium tuning without the therm, but didn't like paying an extra two bits per gallon. I haven't gotten around to buying the thermostat yet but it is on my "short list". ;D

kegger said:
Okay, here goes STUPID QUESTION.

Does it help with fuel milage at all? ?
I have not seen any apreciable difference in mileage with the Hypertech @ 91 vs. @87 vs. stock after I got all my "testing" out of my system! >:D

11H said:
kegger,,,

Personally, I would not change the stat... It gives the dealer a gripe window... If they run it on a scope, and see it running at different temps., then find the cooler stat changed, it might raise a brow...

Food for thought

It probably takes about the same amount of time to put back the factory thermostat as it does to use the tuner to return the PCM to stock.

Johnny_D,,,

You said, "Food for thought

It probably takes about the same amount of time to put back the factory thermostat as it does to use the tuner to return the PCM to stock. "

Don't mean to be blunt, but have you EVER changed a stat on a new VORTEC or LS1 Series? Far from easy... It's difficult to get at too... I made the point antimately... DON"T CHANGE IT UNLESS YOU MUST !!! USING 93 TUNING AND PINGIING! ... MAYBE A GURU CAN CHANGE ONE IN A HALF HOUR, BUT WHAT IF YOU ARE ON THE ROAD, AND DON'T HAVE TOOLS/HOT MOTOR? YOU CAN'T ALWAYS PREPARE THE TRUCK FOR SERVICE BY REPLACING THE STAT AS YOU CAN BY GOING BACK TO STOCK! ... RESIST AS YOU MAY, BUT I HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS ON 2, 5.3 TRUCKS... DON'T BOTHER!!! PLUS THE THING IS $50 BUCKS!!! As far as the install Johnny_D, It's the most complicated stat I've done to date!... Here's the instal verbatim:

Tools and supplies required
10mm socket, ratchet and extension
Slip joint pliers
DEX-COOL? antifreeze coolant (GM part #1234-6290)

-WARNING: NEVER ATTEMPT TO CHANGE A THERMOSTAT ON A HOT ENGINE.
-SERIOUS INJURY CAN OCCUR IF THE SURGE TANK CAP IS REMOVED WHILE THE COOLING SYSTEM IS HOT.
-THE ENGINE SHOULD ALWAYS BE COLD WHEN INSTALLING THE POWERSTAT.

Part #1015 - 180? PowerStat

NOTE: The thermostat in this engine is a "housing " style thermostat. It is located on the
front of the water pump assembly at the bottom edge of the passenger side cylinder head. (See Figure A1 & A2 below).

Make sure that the vehicle is parked on a level surface before installing the Hypertech PowerStat.

Allow the vehicle coolant to cool.

Turn the surge tank cap counter-clockwise very slowly to remove the pressure from the cooling system.
If you hear a hissing or spurting sound, stop and let the pressure bleed off. When the hissing or spurting sound
goes away, finish removing the surge tank cap.

Open the radiator drain plug and drain the coolant from the vehicle.

Remove the radiator hose from the stock thermostat.

Remove the two (2) 10mm bolts holding the stock thermostat to the engine. (You may want to use an extension on
the socket wrench for easier access.)

Lift out the stock thermostat. Use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry, if necessary. Clean all the sealing surfaces.

Install the Hypertech PowerStat, making sure the O Ring is sealed properly. For ease of installation, you may want to
apply a small amount of grease to the PowerStat? to help retain the O Ring.

Reinstall the thermostat bolts and any hoses removed. Torque the bolts to 7 ft.-lbs.

Close the radiator drain plug.

Fill the cooling system with the proper water/coolant mixture. Refer to the owners manual for the correct ratio. Pour
the coolant into the surge tank.

Start the engine and let it idle for approximately one (1) minute.

Reinstall the surge tank cap.

Cycle the engine from idle to 3000 RPM in thirty (30) to forty (40) second intervals. This needs to be done until the
engine coolant temperature reaches 210?F or 99?C.

When the cooling system is at the proper temperature, shut off the engine. Remove the surge tank cap as described in Step 3.

Leaving the surge tank cap off, start the engine and let it idle for one (1) minute. Then, fill the surge tank with the
coolant mixture to 1/2? above the ?Fill Cold? mark on the surge tank. Now reinstall the surge tank cap.

Repeat Step 14 once more, then shut off the engine.

Allow the vehicle coolant to cool, then remove the surge tank cap again as described in Step 3. Top off the coolant system
to 1/2? above the ?Fill Cold? mark on the surge tank, then tighten the surge tank cap.

Figure A1 Figure A2

IMPORTANT: NEVER MIX ORDINARY ANTIFREEZE (GREEN) WITH THE DEX-COOL? ANTIFREEZE
(ORANGE) OR YOU MAY DAMAGE THE COOLING SYSTEM.

If you guys do the stat, be prepared to get grief... The computerizedd vehicles especially the ones after 1996 need to have a stable coolant warm-up process, and the computer is calibrated to see a certain warm-up cycle... The HPP3 changes settings in the ECM to allow for the stat... All fine there... WE all understand there's no harm done... But, take your truck to the dealership after you go back to stock with a cooler thermostat, and see what happens if they just happen to drive your truck, and the tech is slow that day, and realizes the truck running cooler... He hooks up to a scope, and finds a cooler stat... They have the potential to red flag your warranty history by noting a cooler stat... Then when you have an emmissions related item go bad, they throw it in your face, or worse yet, confront you on that visit... you say uhhh, uhhh, it's ok, I use a Hypertech, and it allows for the stat... Now you stepped in the doo doo you don't want to step in... You dont' want them to know you're dinkin around with the ECM...!!!???

Leave the factory stat.... If you experience pinging with 93 octane gas while running the 93 tuning, then pull over take 10 minutes, go back to stock, and get the stat put in... But I'm telling you, you probably won't need it! The gains in power from 87 to 93 is nil anyways! ... I HAVE RUN THE 93 TUNING HERE IN AZ IN SUMMER 120+ HEAT IDLING IN TRAFFIC JAMS, WITH GOOD GAS, AND NEVER EXPERIENCED PINGING!

Personally, the stat Hypertech says to put in the is the 180 ... Do you really think there's a difference in head temp going down 12-15 degrees in stat? NOOOO... The heads probably run cooler with the 192-195, because the coolant is forced to stay in the radiator longer, and the higher stat cycles the coolant better to allow for better cooling system effeciency...

It's not the 70's anymore guys... Semantics have changed... Changing the stat to a cooler one can cause more problems with the dealership, and possibly a warranty issue on the beloved 5/50 emisssions system warranty if the dealer wants to push it... Ya you have SEMA, and rights, but why go through the trouble for NO REASON, when it's not even necessary to change the stat...

I am very liberal when it comes to mods, and will skirt the warranty issue very closely, and even cross the line once in a while... Due to my friend being the shop foreman, and head of powertrain at the dealership here... But there's things I will not do like Headers, stats, grind the throttle body, add shift kits to the trans, etc., etc. ? Trust me on this one... Try it first stock with 93 tuning... Hypertech recommends the switch to give them a little cushion on the trucks that MAY ping... It's more of an insurance policy for them for you to change it... Besides, the guy I called last year there, said if i was staying at 200 degrees coolant temp, don't bother with the stat... Hypertech's words...

Johnny_D,,,

To ADD: I have changed 8 or 9 LS1/New Vortec series stats, and it's pretty simple for me... But, you gotta remove thr intake tube, and replace it, also, the run time and cool time in between to avoid air in the system is the time consuming part... And, the first time I did it, it was somewhat involved, when I didn't know what to expect... Realize, the stat is mounted half way down the block on passenger side, and 1 of the 2 bolts is "blind" ... The stat guts are permanently mounted in the housing, and all gets replaced... Not just the stat part like on older vehicles... Plus, the cheapest I've seen them, is at TBYRNE for $49.xx ... It is alot more involved than an old SSB where the stat was seperate from the housing, and on top of the intake in front on older V8's ...

11H

;D ;D ;DOk, OK, I thought i was not going to replace the thermostat and now i am sure. I heard it was kind of a pain the donkey butt, now i am sure.........
11H, i see you have the NGK noted on your signature, did it help at all or just smooth out your idle.....???? I see a few people that have changed to the NGK, something going on there. I have 24000 miles on the AV since the end of Febuary........What gives with the Plugs are they a little hotter?????????
ZEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAA........ :B:

zeeya2000,,,

Not hotter... They are the stock heat range... No need to change heat range unless doing NOS or Forced induction...

The NGK TR55, is a very high quality plug with a copper center electrode ... The difference between a Copper plug and a platinum plug is: Platinum plugs make the best of a weak ignition system because it focuses the spark energy through a sharp center electrode... The sharp center electrode has proven to be a cure for alot of spark plug related problems... Fouling with weak ignitions, etc... The problem was the sharp electrodes were getting burnt up in short order, so then came Platinum tipped centers... Which are pretty durable... Then came double platinum, which coats the center and ground electrode with platinum... Then there's full platinum which has pure platinum on center, and ground... (expensive) the true life of our Platinums in our trucks is about 60,000 miles max... Then you start getting excessive gaps due to erosion... They will probably FIRE to 100,000 but not the best... The coppers rely on a good strong ignition system, and create a much larger flame kernel which creates a faster flame front which lights off the mix faster... Platinums are the best for longevity, and average performance... But Copper centers are best for high performance, and throttle response... All cores whether platinum or Copper are copper due to their excellent conductivity...
The NGK seems to be the best of the breed in the performance oriented GM motors... They also have a groove in the center of the center electrode to force the spark to the outer edge... On my LT-1 they made 4 HP, and increase smoothness, and throttle response mainly... At $2 each it's a cheap good mod...

BUT make sure you only use the TR55...

11H

11H said:
Johnny_D,,,

but have you EVER changed a stat on a new VORTEC or LS1 Series? Far from easy... (ORANGE) OR YOU MAY DAMAGE THE COOLING SYSTEM.

No can't say I have. But I checked it out last night and while it is more work that some of the ones I used to swap between winter/summer it doesn't look to be impossible to remove. My point is that if someone wants to try the lower thermostat to see if they get the most out of the Hypertech unit and they like the results they have the option to switch it back before being the vehicle into the dealership for service. It just may not be as easy as I thought it would be.

Thanks for ALL the info 11H.
I never have liked changing the stat in any of my vehicles. Now, I know for sure I woudn't. ;D

I will probrably wait on the HyperTech for now, but, may jump in on a group buy.

And Wiki, I beleive strongly in supporting supporters of the club, that is what makes it the club fee's free. LOL, yeah, right, Because of finding this club, I have spent and will spend more, than I would have. I have printed up brochures and started placing them on other AV's, Spent too much time reading all the forums here I can.

My wife has said something a time or two, but then I bring up the fact of her Babycenter forum. And all the toys and stuff she has spent on our Daughter. Oh, if you want to see pic's of my biggest pride and joy of my life (http://www.mpks.net/homepage/lenae) She does outrank my AV. And I will never replace her ;D.

OOPS, how did I get off the subject that far ???

kegger,,,

You are a lucky man to have a cute healthy girl like that!!! If she continues those looks into "teen hood"... Ya better keep 'yer scatter gun loaded... BTW, that's a really cool name you gave her !!! :)

We were blessed with a boy 18 mos ago (Korey) , and I never knew how much I could love someone...

Whenever my wife is without me in the car, he sees Red trucks (Big ones) , and points and says daddy... She followed me to NM last month, and she said he drove her crazy with it!!!

For those of you wondering about having kids... Here's some techie advice... Take the plunge... when that kid comes out, you will feel guilty for contemplating for so long... When i was younger, I despised kids... How we change eh?

11H

Thanks 11H,

I like your boy's name too. I keep telling my wife I am not going to let her date till she is 21. ( Be nice, but not realistic ) Whenever she see's my truck she points and yell's "Daddy's Truck!!!" I like it :)

Yep, Kids are wonderful. Always giving you a good laugh one minute and wanting to pull your hair out the next.

Fellas:

Just got back. Been outta touch for a bit. Just received my Hypertech III and need some pointers/suggestions for my '03 8.1L 2500:
1. shift point settings
2. max revs
3. gas/octane type
4. other???

I'm leaving the OEM stat as recommended. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

i

irish,,,

I think Gandolphxx is the best one to ask on this one... There are not many guys who have programmers on the 8.1 because of it's limited ability or something..... ER, maybe it's because they don't friggin' need it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I should have gotten the white 2500 2wd instead of the 5.3 Z-71... (It was $2,500 cheaper anyways) Just kidding!

11H sitting; hands folded with envy...

Oh, yeah... Gandolph, are you there?

LOL

Back