• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

0-60 Time

kwinsor

SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I hooked up my Gtech Pro Comp and timed my first zero to 60 run. 7.143sec. I didn't try to do a brake-stand start, just right footed it from the brake to full stomp.

It was raining so I didn't try any more. I want to see it in the sixes.

What should I expect for 0-60 times from a Z71 with 3.73 gearing?

kw

KW,

As you have the blower I think we're more interest in your time than what a stock Z-71 will do ?;). (which would more than likey be somewhere in the high 8s or low 9s)

But your time is in line with what a Kenne Bell superchargered 5.3 Tahoe ran. ?I think you'll even do better when its dry and you rev in up a tad on the launch. ?Keeps us posted. ?Bet you get in down to the high 6s!

Year end bonus is this month, maybe Kenne Bell will end up in my AV too. ? :B:

irontrain said:
Hi Redshift, as a fellow owner of a Victory Red 02 Z71 I would love to see some pics of yours with that supercharger on it. I could print out your pics and leave them around the house for the boss to see and maybe I could talk her into it. ;D

Here is a red one off e-bay, gandolphxx didn't want it so .....

red1.jpg

Attachments

• red1.jpg
    red1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 17
Another 0-60 run today, 6.748sec. Torque management pulled out some timing advance twice during launch. I don't know if it would be any quicker if TM wasn't there and I could get it up to the point of tire spin.

kw

KW
Have you used your G-Tech to get a horsepower measurement?

I tried one HP run but screwed it up. Tried to pull second gear to redline as instructed but had a downshift to first when I stomped it.

The HP from the 0-60 run was 342hp and 395ft/lb. Gtech says the 0-60 run won't give the best read on HP.
I figure I'm making 400-450hp at the engine which should give me 360-400hp at the rear wheel. I didn't get near redline on the 0-60 run but the 395 torque reading indicates more HP was available had the revs gone higher.

I'll keep testing!

kw

I figure I'm making 400-450hp at the engine which should give me 360-400hp at the rear wheel

Maybe 300-310 ... (on an AutoTrac 4x4) ... 'MAYBE' 320 ... 360 is a little high ... Butch can tell you about what you're making ...

I just saw a Silverado with a 100 shot NX wet kit make 292 RWHP and that was a "first run" ... That was a 4.10 4x4 with Autotrac, and a 3" single exhaust ... That was last week in about 90 degree weather ... dry day ...

11H

'MAYBE' 320

I guess I should have calculated from a known. The Gtech gave me a rear wheel reading of 342hp. Figuring a 20% powertrain loss would yield 427HP. This reading came at 600 rpm lower than peak and 1200 from redline.

Motortrend dynotested a 5.3 'Hoe' with a KB supercharger. They got 335hp at the rear wheel and a 7.1sec 0-60. My Av weighs 1000 pounds more and hit 6.748sec on 0-60. Comparisons like this are only useful as a sanity check, seems to be in the ballpark.

Has anyone seen a comparison between a Gtech Pro/comp and a rear wheel dyno?

kw

With autotrac on a truck like ours, bet on about a 30-35% driveline loss... Maybe more... It makes me sick... ?:C:

You will see about 20% loss on like an F-Body Auto Trans... And about 16-18% on a 6 Speed ...

A Z66 will lose about 28-30% through the driveline ...

Redshift, also remember, I am at about 1600 FT here ... Humidity is about 9-14% this time of year ...

Also, the dyno here that I see all the time is a little on the conservative side IMHO ...

The G-Tech is good for measuring "differences" in acceleration vs. mods ... But the key is to understand that you have to "drive the truck the same each time" ... i.e. don't load the converter, don't try for your best 0-60 time, etc.... Unless you are trying to get a "best run" ...

When you make a equipment change or adjustment, then if you have a rock solid way of driving it the same every time, your losses/gains will be a little more accurate...

You'll get the hang of it, and understand eventually what the G Tech likes and don't like ...

11H

Hey guys.., sorry haven't posted much lately.., just got out of the hospital.., was layed up for a bit.., but alls well now thankfully..... 340rwhp would be a very good number Redshift for the boost your running.. My numbers with 9 lbs of boost with the Water/Alky and no Nitrous where 378rwhp..., after installing the Stage Two Heads, and lowering the compression a bit..., and raising the boost to 10 to 11 lbs... I made 412rwhp without the Nitrous.., with the 50 shot of N20 I saw 436rwhp and over 450ft/lbs of torque.... Now that ive finished up all the Cryogenics ill be heading back to the Dyno to see what gains it produces..., and then to the track to see where im at ;)

Butch.

340rwhp would be a very good number Redshift for the boost your running.. My numbers with 9 lbs of boost with the Water/Alky and no Nitrous where 378rwhp...,

Hi Butch,

Glad to hear you are back, missed your input.

Your numbers tend to confirm mine. I'm currently running 7psi of boost with water/alky injection. If a pound of boost is worth 15hp I should be 30hp under your pre-head change 378hp.

Did you have the SLP rocker arms on when you made 378hp? I don't know how much horse power I gained with these but the engine responds quickly to the throttle. The most noticeable change was between shifts, the rpms stay higher and build quickly in the next gear. I'm a little worried about slippage under hard acceleration though.

I'm real curious about your cryo setup and how that helps.....had you thought of piping the CO2 exhaust through the hot water passages in the throttle body?

kw

Hey Redshift.., no I didn't have the SLP rockers on when I made that pull.., I put them on with the heads..., cant really do the Cryo on the Throttle body..., as it will cause the Throttle body to bind up, and the throttle body would not transfer the cooling effect to the air well anyway they said.., the biggest gains are made cooling the air as it leaves the blower at its hottest point.....

Back