• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

1/4 Mile Time

B

Bowzer

I had pulled a 17.2 @ 79.4 MPH back in november and I just got a 16.72 @ 84.9 mph this eve. @ 3600' alt.

is this normal or should this be better than that?

I trhink mod's must be in order.

On the + side I stomped several ricer kid's that were running in the 17's-18's and one kid in a honda civic was giving me hell from the time I entered the gate asking me why I was going to run a "slow pos SUV"
I told him to line it up and we will see how big a pos the old av is. long story short he ran an 18.2 to my 16.8 ;D

Bowzer, I think your times sound about right for a stock 1500. Possibly a bit better than average considering the elevation.

Hey, something doesn't sound right here. Truck Trend (and Motor Trend) list the stock Z-71 Avalanche as having a 1/4 mile run in 16.5 seconds @ 83.9 mph.

Thats more or less the range with good tires and a perfect track - however with just a few enhancements you can get into the high 13's or low 14's >:D

Gandolphxx is that with a 5.3 or an 8.1?
my next question is how can my speed be 85mph (GPS) which to me is good but my time be so crappy?
Am I losing time because of the torque management of the off the line accelertion?
If so, how do I combat this?
Enlighten us all, oh wise master
Boombastic
:) :)

BooTheRedneck said:
The best 1/8 mile times I have are at 9.81 sec @ 71.19 mph. ?I don't know how that equates to 1/4 mile times..
That roughly would do 15.2 in the 1/4 mile if I look at my old time slips - maybe a tad better.

Boombastic said:
Gandolphxx is that with a 5.3 or an 8.1?
my next question is how can my speed be 85mph (GPS) which to me is good but my time be so crappy?
Am I losing time because of the torque management of the off the line accelertion?
If so, how do I combat this?
Enlighten us all, oh wise master
Boombastic
:) :)

I have the 8.1L BigBlock, a very different engine, different power curve - there are a number of things that will contribute to your 1/4 time IMHO.
1. Your 60' time - needs to get at or below 2 seconds - no spinning tires - this one is crucial.
2. Finish the run in 3rd, I suspect that fits the power band of the 5.3L better than OD

Actually those times are not bad for a mostly stock setup - practice launching - sneak up on it as per 11H. Also, if you have installed a catback you may be suffering from low end loss due to reduced back pressure.

Removing TM is the last thing you do, not the first, it will have little effect on a stock setup.

Back