• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 Z66 needing new shocks...

streborhcaz

Have approx. 62,000 miles on my 2003 Avalanche and am getting closer to the time for new shocks. I've searched this board and didn't find too many suggestions for a Z66. I've always heard they have load leveling shocks in the rear, is this true? Anyways post your shocks and how you like them, Thanks!

If you have the large diameter, (black) Sachs self levelors, unless you have been hauling lots of HEAVY stuff, it's highly unlikely that you will need new REAR shocks before 150k miles. I'm at 127k and they feel like new to me.  These are incredible shocks. I did replace the fronts, at 90K with Monroe Reflexes..Rides great !!

Shocks do not go out on mileage and can last a long time...

replace em when they need it IMO..

do the bounce test...

jump up and down on corner and truck should go down then up and stop

If they are leaking oil... replace them...

If no oil and they stop the bounce test they are fine...

I have 90K+ and still using the OEM ones in the rear.  The self-leveling one will run you a few $$ so just be prepared

I have 55k on my Z-66 and occassionally haul heavy loads and mine work like new.  I also replaced the fronts with the Reflex and really like the ride.    Matt

Back