• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Top Speed

venado

Charter Member
Well I just know this subject has been brought up but after trying the usual words for search I didn't find a thing....probably just showing I don't know the "right" words.

My 2002 AV is a 1500 Z71 totally stock. On flat ground (got lot's of that around here..!) my AV speed limiter stops me during strong accelleration at 98 mph. With no other performance modifications other than a chip installation to knock out the speed limiter, what is the AV's top speed?? Guess it does require a change in the spedo to the Cad or similar to really tell but does anyone really know?

Well not sure mine counts as I have Hypertech III, flowmaster and k&n FIPK - But I recently hit 115 with room to go had I wanted to - course I have the Denali cluster with the 120 speedo. ;) :D ;D >:D

I will let you know, I have the diablo predator, k&n FIPK II, gibson dual exhaust and direct hits ignition. I think +120 is very possible.

I think without the limiter, and some minor mods like HPP3 to hold your OD shift a little longer, and exhaust, and no head wind, 130 or a little more in a Z66 should be attainable... I wouldn't spend too much time over 100 with the oem tires that come on a Z66 though... I also would run no less than 40 PSI cold if I were wanting to test the top speed thing... I would only due to legality/safety, run on a private track also... The AVY doesn't have the brakes needed to haul itself down from 100+ too quickly...

11H

Amen on the brakes and tires - the highest that you mod it is 128 without major work on the PCM, and you should really think about having 3 tons moving at that speed.

and you should really think about having 3 tons moving at that speed.

(A very "crushable" 3 tons at that)

I think Gandolphxx says a lot more in this sentence than some might not really think a lot about...

The avalanche is a very nimble creature for it's weight... This with roughly 300 Net HP and some great suspension, make it very tempting to push the envelope a little...

Now, I won't get into the testing the 128 MPH idea, and I won't go into the obvious legal ramifications involved; we are all good intentioned adults...

But some things come to mind: Running along at that kind of speed in a 3 Ton object or 4 if ya got the 3/4 ton, is begging for a visit to the Pearly Gates ... I don't even want to think of what would happen if a Handicapped person blocked your path in a 1973 Valiant !

I have seen a wreck with a very good friend, and his life long recollection of "hot dogging" that day ... At 33 years old, I have had a few close friends and relatives die due to health reasons, some beyond their control... I wish some people realized how fine a thread we all hang from... It's also hard to think there was my sister fighting for her life for 4 years battling cancer, and some people thinking about what the top speed of a 3 or 4 ton brick on wheels might be... Why?

I don't want to play the harp and run a guilt trip here, but it's just something to think about... I don't think it's a BAD question mind you, but not one I would expect to see "here" ... If I had rubbed some the wrong way, I sincerely apologize... I cherish every day of life with my new Son, and family; 130MPH in my mind is the last place I want to spend my time... I guess I'll shut up while I'm slightly ahead... :6:

11H

11H, All I can say is AMEN to that! I am a Philadelphia Police Sergeant, and I have been the FIRST to arrive on the scene of way too many fatal, and crippling auto accidents.

I know of no place safe to drive at these speeds in a metropolitin area. The only true place where you would be somewhat safe AND legal would be a closed track.

We all have the need for speed, but remember, speed kills. Please, drive this monstor safely, and ENJOY it. Life is too short as it is.

I drive fast at times, because other peoples lives may depend on it, and ONLY while in the performance of my duties. I have topped out at 125+ in a Police vehicle, and that was scary enough. I see NO need to go that fast.

With the AV you would need a parachute to stop it, with all that weight and weak brakes.

O.K. I also preached enough, but please be careful. This is the voice of experience (first hand) unfortunatley. :cry:

There is nothing wrong with anything you said 11H...I can't imagine anyone would think so. Besides, it's true!

11H said:
I don't want to play the harp and run a guilt trip here, but it's just something to think about... I don't think it's a BAD question mind you, but not one I would expect to see "here" ... If I had rubbed some the wrong way, I sincerely apologize... I cherish every day of life with my new Son, and family; 130MPH in my mind is the last place I want to spend my time... I guess I'll shut up while I'm slightly ahead... :6:

11H ?

Well put 11h, well put.

Jamie

ok, let me start by saying this post is all IMHO, and with all due respect to my friends and fellows . . . :)

So after 3 posts on the topic we have had the standard PC statements about big speed being naughty and dangerous to life and property - of course, being 99% adults here, I think we all have gone way past that point in life where "don't try this at home" admonitions have much value (and I doubt anyone likes to be scolded like a child who is unkowingly doing something dangerous). But I know this sort of topic just seems to bring out the parental guidance [control issues?] in some people . . . oh well, it is a motor vehicle enthusiast site after all, and we do traffic in performance upgrades here, kinda natural we discuss thinks like, well, the Av's ability to achieve a speed in excess of the national speed limit.

look up above at the name of the forum - you will notice it is called "Chevrolet Avalanche Performance Modifications".

You guys made your point, I figured I'd make mine - so I kindly ask that you please don't treat the folks on this board - and especially those reading this particular "performance mods" forum - like a bunch of 16 year olds with a learner's permit. Well sure there may be a few 16 year olds here, but the average age of the members (mid 30's, I believe) means that it is quite possible (and likely) that we would like to have a nice rational discussion about top speed without getting clogged up with posts with warnings about the deadly danger, etc.

[stepping down from my little soapbox now . . . . ] ;D

oh and back on the real topic I buried my 120 mph speedo on a lonely stretch of interstate once - lost the 98 limiter via Hypertech PPIII - Gando is right, even THAT limits your top speed to 128. Good point on the tires, but that would really become relevant if you were running a sustained speed up there in 100+ mph land - perhaps in Montana or Nevada . . . just popping up to 120 and then back down won't lead to a sudden disintegration of your tires, it's a heat build up issue . . .

peace

Jack you said a mouthfull,
I must say that depending on when,where, and how you learned to drive, that on average we all probably have breached the quote/unquote, safe posted speed limit a time or two. ?When I test drove my AV, I had my dealer scared sh**less >:D , and he actually had to point out to me how fast I was going. 85mph >:D , the point is that not all people feel safe traveling at high rates of speed, but for a select few of us, it seems to be a natural thing. ?For me I have rode my Hayabusa in excess of 130mph and had no fear what so ever, I lived in Germany for 5yrs, and daily drove my car (BMW) in excess of 100mph daily. ?I know that this is America and not Germany, but at the same time, like Jack said we are all (well most of us anyway ;D ) adults here, and as adults we have a natural tendency to want to know what the limits are of things we drive. ?The only differenece between some of us, is that some will actually go out and find out, and some will just take the word of what others say. ?Bottom line on this topic, is safety, stick with driving the way you are comfortable, and don't get caught up in the hoopla of the moment, and know that driving you AV is like owning a gun. ?You know what it is capable of doing, but that does'nt mean you mis-use or mis-handle it.

Getting off the soapbox for the next speaker now :)

Big Dog
:B:

I'm a proud new operator of a 2003 Z-66 1/2 ton. The Sheriff's Dept. I work for bought this AV for use as a D.A.R.E. / P.R. vehicle. I love the truck and the quick feel of it but was disappointed with the 98 top end. My problem for perf. mods. is budget. So far Meineke has donated Flowmaster exhaust but I NEED MORE POWER. If anyone knows someone in the Kansas City, Mo. are who can hook a brother up to make this AV run as good as it looks let me know.
P.S. This AV has undercover emergency strobes ( 8 up front - 4 in back) plus a 100watt siren. People luv being pulled over by it. A good conversation starter. >:D

lucky you D.A.R.E Av !

If it is purely a matter of top speed, the Hypertech Power Programmer 3 can remove the 98 mph limiter (actually move it up to 128 mph). And add some other things like different shift points, firmness, high octane fuel optimization, etc.

Then, if you want to get into those performance mods that enhance acceleration, you read up on the posts from Gando and Butch and the like, you be thinking about a blower, intake improvements, exhaust system improvements, let's not neglect handling and braking improvements . . . .

As soon as my AV arrives here in Germany?.I?ll let you know >:D >:D

jackalanche,,,

I have no issues about where you are coming from... It is indeed a performance section, and the question is justified... Top speed it is!! ... I think most people are probably trained or have undergone high speed driving of some sort, but I don't want people walking away from this thread, getting a power programmer, and bumping up the speed limiter... Then for some frank reason, justifying it in their head that this thread told 'em it was ok... Just like you mention, some people are not as skilled as others, and not aware of issues as you and I might be, anyways, here's some considerations:

This is not directed at one person, but all who may step here in the future k?

Tires are the main safety issue in a new Avalanche... The tires that come on the av are Speed Rated to 112 MPH ... This means, in a LABORATORY, A BRAND NEW GOODYEAR AT/S OR HP HAS BEEN TESTED UNDER VARYING LOAD CONDITIONS TO SAFELY WITHSTAND THESE SPEEDS FOR A BRIEF AMOUNT OF TIME... THIS DOES NOT COVER IF THE TIRE HAS BEEN UNDERINFLATED PREVIOUSLY, SLICED IN A MINOR WAY, SUFFERED A MANUFACTURING DEFECT, OVERLOADED AT ONE TIME, OR OVERHEATED... I HIGHLY DOUBT ANY OF US HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO VERIFY OUR USED TIRES ARE SAFE UP TO 112 MPH ... Is it worth the risk? ... It is industry accepted, that if a tire has a speed rating, then a used tire should have roughly an 80% margin of safety... Meaning that 112 MPH S rated tire is probably good for 89.6 MPH with an acceptable amount of safety at the cold recommended max tire pressure ... Fact is, the more mileage a tire sees, heat cycling weakens it... A tire with 30,000 miles might have 70% or it's tread left, and look fine, but it IS WEAKER than it was new nonetheless...

Now you might be thinking, going in a straight line at 112 MPH is safe ... A lot of times when a large truck tire blows, it doesn't always shred and disintegrate, it usually grabs body parts during it's destruction, because the truck tire is really strong in the belting area... The sidewall is the weakest point as this is where heat is generated due to the searing flex it has to tolerate... And two plies of polyester cord inside 1/4 inch of rubber is it, on a P rated tire like the av has... So anyways, you are ?sizzling over 100 MPH along on your 8 mile stretch of highway in your straight line, and a severe tire vibration comes from the rear, and for about 2 seconds you realize that the tire is about to give... The tire tread seperates from the casing, and as it comes around it grabs the rear body panel of the av, and hopefully tears it completely off... All you can hope for now, is the failing tire continues to roll, and not put your 3 ton truck into a rear drift ... And I don't want to mention what happens if ya lost a front ... Trust me, the truck is not going to experience a controlled coast that you will be able to ride out... ?:-*

It takes the average person 1.5 seconds to react to a threat on the road, and in that 1.5 seconds, your avalanche has traveled 176 feet at 120 MPH... Good chance you will collide with whatever it is before your foot even gets to the brake pedal...

If you have no need to apply brakes in your desolate stretch of highway where you plan on running it up, then your main concern is tires... If you don't have tires that are rated for 20% beyond the speed you travel, your taking a great risk... And please realize, tires that are available to the public are not hand sorted, but mass produced... Pushing a tire to it's limit in a 3 or 4 ton truck with a tire that "could" have a defect is not good ... If you want to go flat out, do it in something a little lighter, and with a lower center of gravity... I'm not trying to pee in anyone's corn flakes this morning, but this is something I KNOW about, and I wouldn't chance it...

I don't want to give someone the impression that because this is a Performance Forum, that we condone going 128MPH ... Most people here realize what's important mechanically ... But it's a public forum, and the people that don't need to be considered... I don't post this to antagonize anyone, or come across that I know it all, but to clear my concience of someone who might try something beyond their scope of understanding, or ability...

11H

All,,, here's a speed rating chart that might shed some light...

SPEED RATINGS CHART
-----------------------------

SYMBOL /?SPEED (MPH)

?
M ? 81 ?
N ? 87 ?
P ? 93 ?
Q ? 99 ?
R ? 106 ?
S ? 112 ?
T ? 118 ?
U ? 124 ?
H ? 130 ?
V(VR) 149 ?
W(ZR) 168 ?
Y(ZR) 186 ?

So, if you want to go 128 MPH in your AV, I would recommend nothing short of a Z or ZR rated tire in excellent condition...

Which might be a stretch in an SUV size... I would look at the Michelin Pilot or the Nitto 404...

11H

D.A.R.E.AV said:
I'm a proud new operator of a 2003 Z-66 1/2 ton. The Sheriff's Dept. I work for bought this AV for use as a D.A.R.E. / P.R. vehicle. I love the truck and the quick feel of it but was disappointed with the 98 top end. My problem for perf. mods. is budget. So far Meineke has donated Flowmaster exhaust but I NEED MORE POWER. If anyone knows someone in the Kansas City, Mo. are who can hook a brother up to make this AV run as good as it looks let me know.
P.S. This AV has undercover emergency strobes ( 8 up front - 4 in back) plus a 100watt siren. People luv being pulled over by it. A good conversation starter. >:D

Because this is for law enforcement I'll guess the city is on a budget.

First of a FIPK sure isn't going to hurt bang for the buck and ease of install. A TBS won't hurt either bang for the buck, but you will have to notch the fan shroud to get it to all fit. You definitely need to get a HPP III or Predator programmer to tweak the computer. You can set the engine to run on 91 octane, change the shift points to be more aggressive and push up the shift points closer to redline.

Outside of that you're starting to get into big bucks territory. Forced induction (turbo or supercharger) is going to give you a lot more power. Disabling torque management on the transmission (gandolphxx can comment on this) will help get more power to the ground faster - don't know what kind of $$$ that will cost.

I'd love to see pictures of the D.A.R.E. Avalanche!

Hi 11th-

Thanks for your post. I learned a lot from it that I didn't know. I think you are on target. As the AV is not a performance product, various items (tires, suspension, brakes, etc.) would need to be upgraded to handle the speed.

What I might try to do in my 2001 Eclipse GT I wouldn't think of doing in a 2002 AV Z-66.

De Ja Vu, all over again, eh Jackalanche?

Everyone, we have gone down this road before (some at 55mph, others at 150mph) in a couple of different threads. I think the best we can hope for here is that we all agree to disagree.

Steel,,,

Oops... wasn't aware this has been battled before... I guess I should review the history... I don't mind if you move this and lock it Steel... Sorry

11H

god forbid any member be so bold as to post a topic on top speed ever again >:D Now, I felt compelled to respond to some of the lasts posts. All IMHO and with wishes of peace and happiness to my fellow members and moderators.

But I just deleted the whole thing - four paragraphs of lovely verse. Let's just say we disagree, and many members here have been on the track, quite a few of us have been in a car or motorcycle @ over 150 or even 170 mph (myself included, on all fronts). If you think tire facts are important to one driving a nice 4-wheeled vehicle surrounded by a steel cage, imagine how focused you would become on the topic if you routinely found yourself leaned over hard on your motorcycle at over 100 mph on a regular basis, where a tire issue would certainly lead to catastrophic results. That's where I find myself on many weekends. Not "once back in '92 I went really fast so listen up".

Doesn't make me an expert. I just share my own humble thoughts and opinions. Certainly, others know more than I.

And, with all due respect, properly-inflated (goes without saying, but the matter was raised) "S" rated tires will not, with any degree of regularity or certainty, shred themselves upon a brief sojurn into the land of 120. Even if less than brandy-spanking new. We are not talking about lap after lap on the track, this is up and back down stuff here. This is the age old question every boy asks - what will she do?

But feel free to spread such nonsense if skip barber or bob bondurant "racing" schools ;) have convinced you of this tire exploding fact. I am sure your heart is in the right place. :) Now, if true, every high speed chase on "Cops" would end the same - Cop lights the bad guy up, the bad guy takes off down the highway @ 115, hey forget the stop sticks cause blam! the bad guys' tires explode just as he gets her going fast ! Foiled again by the built in speed-triggered tire explosion system!

Let me just end by saying if you see an Av in your rearview mirror with blue DRLs coming up on you fast and you are poking along in the show-off lane, please pull over and let me by - lest you get hit by the exploding Goodyears on my Av . . . >:D

11H said:
Steel,,,

Oops... wasn't aware this has been battled before... I guess I should review the history... I don't mind if you move this and lock it Steel... Sorry

11H

Lock the thread? Are you kidding? I plan on sitting back and watch this one play out!

Lay on, MacDuff, and damned be him that cries "Hold! Enough!"

Marcus of Queensberry Rules then, Steel?

I will not yield!

lol, my head hurts from too much deja in the vu.

p.s. MacBeth's lines from the scene (Act V, Scene VIII) in The Tradegy of MacBeth:

I will not yield,
To kiss the ground before young Malcolm's feet,
And to be baited with the rabble's curse.
Though Birnam wood be come to Dunsinane,
And thou opposed, being of no woman born,
Yet I will try the last. Before my body
I throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff,
And damn'd be him that first cries, 'Hold, enough!'

jackalanche said:
Marcus of Queensberry Rules then, Steel?

Marquis of Queensberry Rules? No way! We want to see ear-bitin' no holds barred action!

Now, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"

I am working on "Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice" (Polonius of course, in Hamlet)

work in progress, obviously ;)

Back