• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Chevy Volt Electric vehicle

:repost:  Sort of.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,75451.0.html

My wife saw a photo of the Volt in a magazine today and asked about it.
I'm not crazy about electrics or hybrids, but I might consider this one.
It should be just fine for my nine mile round trip commute to work.  :0:

GoldBowTie said:
My wife saw a photo of the Volt in a magazine today and asked about it.
I'm not crazy about electrics or hybrids, but I might consider this one.
It should be just fine for my nine mile round trip commute to work.? :0:

It
Larry Supermobile
CAFCNA Site Partner
Supermobile's Avalanche Accessories Web Store

sure looks better than a Prius, doesn't it?!

Is it just me or does it look a little like the concept Camaro in the front?  I guess there are a lot of expenses to go along with making cars all look a little different, but I wish it could be done that way.  I wish the Camaro had it's own look, the Av had it's own look, etc... from every angle. 

EricB said:
Is it just me or does it look a little like the concept Camaro in the front?? I guess there are a lot of expenses to go along with making cars all look a little different, but I wish it could be done that way.? I wish the Camaro had it's own look, the Av had it's own look, etc... from every angle.?

Hmm. Never thought of that, but yes it would be nice if each vehicle was unique.

Larry Supermobile
CAFCNA Site Partner
Supermobile's Avalanche Accessories Web Store

The Volt has grown up enter the Volt Gen II

0122151158_zpsbewx4xww.jpg

And his little brother the Concept Bolt with a 200 mile cruising range

0122151202_zpsqcnnbq9u.jpg

MS03 2500 said:
The Volt has grown up enter the Volt Gen II

0122151158_zpsbewx4xww.jpg

And his little brother the Concept Bolt with a 500 mile cruising range

Can't believe I'm going to say this.  I kind of like little brother.

It is kind of cute, the cruising range is not bad at all and it can do a 80% recharge in 45 minutes.

http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bolt-ev-concept-car.html

I have friends with the death car Prius as well as the Leaf and Volt. Of them all, I like the Volt. Totally makes sense.  Would be awesome with the GM 2.0 diesel.

Volt is a great car.  Perfect city-runabout vehicle with the ability to go further on gas than you'd otherwise be able to if you only had the electric motor...

The Bolt EV concept has a 200 mile range on a single charge. A leak said GM is building it at the Lake Orion, MI plant in 2016. That would make it a 2017 model.

Flint4x4 said:
The Bolt EV concept has a 200 mile range on a single charge. A leak said GM is building it at the Lake Orion, MI plant in 2016. That would make it a 2017 model.

I kinda dig the Bolt myself.  :D

Seeing it in person it is a good looking car, but small.

In case anyone missed it General Motors  :B:  announced,....

"Since unveiling the Bolt EV three months ago, the name has quickly become associated with Chevrolet.  Therefore, we will use the name when the vehicle goes into production. The Bolt EV is a significant statement of Chevrolet's commitment to electrification and the name suits this game-changing electric vehicle designed for attainability, not exclusivity."

And Karl Brauer, senior analyst for Kelley Blue Book, said a little confusion over the name may not be a bad thing.

"Between the Spark, Sonic and Volt, Chevrolet has a lock on energetic names, so calling its new EV the Bolt actually makes sense," Brauer said. "The potential for confusion between the Bolt and Volt might be a good thing in this case, as consumers looking at either one should be aware of both models' capabilities before making a purchase."

I think the name fits it, now just add a Lightning Bolt decal

Heya, Flint -

Any insider knowledge on when California will see the 2016 Volt?  After dropping 2K on my Jetta last month, I was looking again at the Prius plug-in.  I drove one and immediately discounted it. Too noisy, too tinny, and my older son said something about "over my dead body."

I drove a 2015 Volt and very much liked it. However, there are VERY few left. With the price, I could get a Federal rebate of $7500, a state rebate of $1500,  and a GM Card rebate of $1000.  That brings the $35,000 volt down to $25,000 plus 0% financing. Oh, and I'd get a carpool lane sticker and have charging stations at work now.

HOWEVER - I spoke to a a few of my co-workers who have had volts. Though they really liked the car, they indicated I'd have trouble being comfortable (I'm' 6"4") as would my kids (they're now 5"10" and 5'11"). I wanted to try the 2016, but it seems they're not showing up.  I know the CARB states will get them first. Any ideas?

PerfectReign said:
Any insider knowledge on when California will see the 2016 Volt? 

PerfectReign - I don't get insider info but I do follow auto-industry news, I find it interesting. I'm aware of Volt production but if you'd ask me to name the 11 CARB states I'd be guessing after CA, educated guesses. I'll see if I can find more information but meanwhile,...

The article at Hybrid Cars below looks like it's accurate.

Has GM Postponed Nationwide Next-Gen Chevy Volt Production To Spring 2016?

Thanks. That kind of confirms what I'm reading here in CA.  I like the Volt but want to compare the new one to old, kind of like when I bought my 2006 AV.

Amazing that there are only single-digit numbers of Volt models still left on dealer lots here in CA.  There are only five in all of southern california.

I know I'm an old dog and don't like many things that are new but electric vehicles are going to have to go through many more generations and come down in price and get bigger in size before I would consider an all electric vehicle. Our area doesn't have but one or two charging stations and one worker was electrocuted working on it a couple of weeks ago. Even though 200 miles and 45minutes recharging sounds better it still could get aggravating. Imagine if it was a gas vehicle and you had to find a gas station every 200 miles and stand there for 45 minutes in the snow and rain to be able to get home,work etc.

Also has anyone seen latest figures on replacing the battery pack? I remember awhile back it was going to cost something like $10,000 and was going to need replacement every 5 or so years, so in my mind that should be considered in total cost of ownership of an all electric vehicle. There has also been concern over crash safety and first responders had to get special training on extracting injured occupants so they or the responder doesn't get electrocuted.
I don't know about you all but I don't enjoy being a test dummy for corporations, I get enough of that from Harley on my bike.  :laugh:

Ha, yeah, that's why I prefer a Plug-in electric. I have solar already and my work has charging stations. The Volt (like the Prius Plug-in and the Ford C-Max Energi) has an electric motor with a gas generator. The Volt has about the same 600 mile range as my Jetta TDI. 

Drove my Jetta tonight and was very underwhelmed.

Decisions....

An electric or hybrid doesn't make sense for everyone yet but at the same time the technology advances in batteries and systems they require extend to every new vehicle and countless future applications outside of automotive use. Hydrogen powered vehicles actually means hydrogen generator powered.

PerfectReign - I had a secret clearance in the Army, it works the same way at GM, (need to know) and I don't need to know. As for insider info there are leaks and since I enjoy following the industry reading the reports, listening to the rumors,... I'm pretty good at sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Some leaks are intentional to confuse the competition. Spy photos are a good example, they can pretty much put any body they want on the next generation Silverado then mask it and lead fools with cameras around town. Meanwhile they drive a real test model around and nobody notices, just throw some dirt on it and maybe a logo to make it look like any other work truck.

Ahh, thanks!  I was thinking you'd know if anyone did.

Drove the '15 model a few times, and I'm tempted. Especially after driving my '00 Jetta again last night.  The one issue I"m having is whether to go for a Gen I (like I did with the '06 Avalanche) or a gen II, which I haven't even seen yet.

Back