• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best Performance MOD For Mileage

bmontini

Ok Everyone.. I am prepared to be bombarded..

I drive my Z66 60 miles a day to work...

I would like to know the BEST mod (in your opinion) that I could do to increase gas mileage if I promise not to horse it around... (some city, 15mi, some highway, 15mi) each way, each day...

WAIT: I know it is a truck, trucks don't get good mileage.. But I know some of you have some great ideas out there!!

K&N, Exhaust, etc? Your input is appreciated..

Seems from what I have read here, best thing to do first would be to open up the intake (FIPK of some sort) and secondly open up the exhaust (cat-back system and possibly headers).

Jamie

I'm looking for specific mods like this too...

I think in general, if you behave, most mods (aside from a supercharger) will yield better fuel mileage because they all make your engine more efficient than it is.

I do 50 miles a day, so I feel your pain... (and nevermind 'to the g/f's house' or where-ever we end up going at night)

bmontini said:
Ok Everyone.. I am prepared to be bombarded..

I drive my Z66 60 miles a day to work... ?

I would like to know the BEST mod (in your opinion) that I could do to increase gas mileage if I promise not to horse it around... ?(some city, 15mi, some highway, 15mi) each way, each day...

WAIT: ?I know it is a truck, trucks don't get good mileage.. ?But I know some of you have some great ideas out there!!

K&N, Exhaust, etc? ?Your input is appreciated..
IMHO, and you know what opinions are worth - I would put a Volant FIPK on it and Direct Hits igntion and buy a tennis ball to put under the accelerator - I think this will do the most to improve your MPG. Leave everything else alone, GM already tuned to max the MPG for CAFE reasons. ;D

BTW, take the tennis ball out when you want to be naughty. >:D

I have installed the K&N FIPK generation II, Direct Hits, Superfuelmax, Hypertech PP III, and awaiting arrival of a Gibson SS extreme dual cat back system. So far, without having the new exhaust system, my mileage tops around 18.3 MPG while travelling to work 96 miles a day doing 80+MPH. >:D

....and buy a tennis ball to put under the accelerator - I think this will do the most to improve your MPG

Hehehe that is a good one..., that might just help ;D ?But it is fun making 3 tons of steel get moving real fast... >:D

Honestly though.. That truck took all my money when I bought it! So now, I am on a small budget that dictates I can only spend on what will give me a good return on investment... (especially in the near future!)

From the responses so far, the Direct Hits and a New Airbox & Filter (FIPK) would be the way to go... ? ?Which one first ??? ?(And if you say FIPK, I would like in your opinion, the best one for ease of install & Price vs. actual benefit)

That is a lot to ask, but I can't keep filling up every 3-4 days!!! (Yes, I knew this when I bought it)

Thanks for the reply's so far!!

Or the really neat option is to have it sit at the dealer since SUNDAY NIGHT :7: after you purchase it. Then you get to use thier gas!!! >:D

They have to touch up some paint and stuff before I get to keep it for good.

However, since this is taking so long, I am getting a FREE ;D ;D ;D Bugshield out of this... I told the dealer to install one while they had the truck, and the dealer called yesterday and told me that since it was taking so long, he would give it to me for free... YEAH!!!

Free bug shiled, eh? Make sure they do the Tape Fix or else you'll be unhappy with that above 65MPH!

The tape fix can be found in page 4 of the March issue of the Fan Club Magazine or by clicking the obvious link I put here for you ?;D

Jamie

I drive between 45-70 miles a day. Mostly in 45mph zones. Very little highway, very little stop & go. With the addition of the UPD intake w/ K&N, and the Flowmaster dual exhaust I'm averaging around 17.5 mpg every tank.

Everyone has pretty much the right idea....but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway...

1. K&N FIPK
2. Direct Hits
3. Flowmaster Muffler or Cat-back system
4. Headers (T.O.G)

Seems like everyone agrees.. Air and Spark needed to increase MPG..

Which air box and filter do you all feel is the LEAST RESTRICTIVE? (ie. will give the best mileage)

Now.... which one first (air or spark) and whose is the best? (I want opinions here!!! Real world data even better!!! :))

bmontini said:
Seems like everyone agrees.. Air and Spark needed to increase MPG..

Which air box and filter do you all feel is the LEAST RESTRICTIVE? ?(ie. will give the best mileage)

Now.... which one first (air or spark) and whose is the best? (I want opinions here!!! Real world data even better!!! :))
Do the Direct Hits first, most likely to improve the MPG, then the FIPK for fun. ;D

Here is a little light reading concerning the Super FuelMax from our good friends at the Federal Trade Commission.

FTC Ruling

Bottom line; Save your money!

gandolphxx said:
Do the Direct Hits first, most likely to improve the MPG, then the FIPK for fun. ;D
But at what ROI? I've also heard talk that a really good set of wires (MSDs or TV50s) will give you the same results as a DirectHits system for 1/3 the cost. I'm still trying to figure out which one I'll do. My engine is still stock.

I'm still evaluating, but my TV50's on a stock engine appear to be gaining about 1 mpg over the stock wires.
The improvements (in driveability as well as MPG) appear to occur at low RPM. Instantaneous mpg on acceleration from dead/stop or low speed used to show as 3, 4 or 5 mpg, now shows as 7,8, or 9 mpg. Also cruising at 75 mph (2200 rpm) shows better mileage (but that's highly variable and may be subjective).

TextAlso, before you install a K&N-type filter, you should check several other threads regarding air filters. A number of people (myself included) have seen evidence that they may flow more air, but they also flow more dust. Just something to consider.

After extensive freeway trip (3,000 miles) my average mileage with the TV50's has now settled down to 15.9
EXACTLY what it was before the TV50's! :rolleyes:

But they still got rid of the hesitation off idle. :)

Since that was a highway trip, is it safe to assume that any positive effects the TV50s could have had on your mileage weren't canceled out by the added weight they cause on your right foot? ;D

Back