• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SuperChip tuner

gregas

SM 2003
I am curious if anyone has used a "SuperChip" to enhance their AV's Horse Power...Did it work? Where can I get one?

Thank You Very Much.....

George

Greg,

You might be Better Served with a Hypertech PPIII or a DiabloSport Predator.

I remember reading quite a few posts in the past where people had problems with superchips burning up their PCMs.

Agent M.

Man Im glad I seen this post. The guy at my speed shop recommended the Super chips Tuner to me yesterday. I guess I will stick to getting the HPPIII.

Josh

Hopefully the following should answer your q's. :D

irontrain said:
Well in Hypertech Install Poll 40 out of 44 people said it installed with no problems. Here's a quote from 11H Another thing I want to share, he said a technician CANNOT tell a hypertech programmer was used on a vehicle because, when you go back to stock programming, the programmer erases whatever performance program you uploaded previously, and re-writes the oem version all over fresh... in post Hypertech Update

Agent M. :D

What kind of performance enhancement in HP can be expected percentage-wise when this HPIII is added to a stock motor?

I didn't get my Av dyno'd before I got mod happy so I can't tell you what the improvement in RWHP was. ?However I can tell you that its a night and day difference after the install. ?check out this thread: HP III Impressions ?The improvement that the shift points make is worth the price of the mod alone but gotta admit I love the jump the beast has at WOT too.

I picked the HP because of the good press around here and the fact that it doesn't marry itself to your VIN so you can sell it if you want to go back to stock (or add a blower etc...) ?The Pred does marry itself to your VIN and the horror stories about superchip installs scared me away. Count me as a happy HPIII customer! :love:

My two cents, happy modding to all

I am going to order the HP3 (to go with my new Magnaflow 12579, anything I need to know to order one. As long as it says it works for a 5.3L Chevy is that all I need to concern myself with?

Again thanks MEN

Just an FYI:
I was having a problem with pinging under hard acceleration, and had to have the dealer re-flash my AV's PCM to the latest and greatest software.
When I tried to program with my HyperTech it did not recognize my software and threw an error code. I sent it back to HyperTech, they kept it for 2 weeks, I guess to understand the new flash from GM, and now all is well. The error code I received was 6D.

The only reason I mention this is that if you have a newer '03 you might have the newer PCM software and your HPP3 will not recognize it.

Mod on ;D

Joe Diver and Agent Maxwell- Thanks for the data. Based on what you both furnished and comments elsewhere I decided to go with the HPPIII and just made an Order. Much obliged and hope it provides what all others seem to state- positive performance response improvements. Great.

Best of luck colonelmotox, the hardest part of my install was finding the OnStar fuze :rolleyes: Although the wife and I did get a good laugh out of it afterwards.

Joe

I'd recommend doing a google search on hypertech, I got mine at www.truckperformance.com after shopping around a bit to get the best price. :B:

They are available from most performance websites -- including some of the site sponsors, good luck (y)

Joe

Here's another stupid question (2nd of the day for me)...

Does the HP3 stay connected at all times or only during programming?

Also, WOT means Wide Open Throttle? I think I read that the HP3 program changes are only valid during WOT, is that true?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig your correct on both counts

You connect the HPIII only when you want to initially tune, tweak things or to return the truck to stock (i.e before next trip to dealer.) Mine lives on a shelf in my workshop most times.

WOT does = Wide Open Thottle, which is when the gurus around here say the HPIIIs tuner kicks in. However you do get the benifits of the shift points and tire/speedo adjustments full time.

Joe (who has asked his share of questions around here)

Hmmm shift points. I think I'd like mine changed, but the HP3 is a little expense for just that. I was merging onto the highway this morning and I was felt like I couldn't accelerate because the transmission just shifted...had it waited a few mph I would have been better off.

Craig

Jdeanz- this is the best price I have seen and paid higher at $349.00 but no tax plus shipping. You are a big help for new prospective purchasers. This site also contains ever question and instruction anyone programming could ever want. It was so good I downloaded every detail and even some items I do not plan to reprogram. Fortunately our area does not use RFG [reconstituted] fuels yet but nice to know the HPIII can even help with that aspect. Nice reference- Thanks!! ;D

I did a search for any info on this unit and couldn't find anything here. Does anyone with an Av use one of these? I'm looking for something different than the HPPIII. I had a Hypertech unit on my 99 5.7L Tahoe and wasn't really impressed with it. Supposedly with the Max Micro Tuner it will affect part throttle performance as well as WOT where the Hypertech is WOT only.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Most folks around here like the Predator (for folks who want to play with settings) or the HP III (for folks who like to fiddle with things a bit less).

Hopefully 11H will chime in since he has had both systems and is running the Predator I think.

Joe

Try searching for "Superchips" but make sure you search back at least 10 months.

There are many many threads on that unit and to save you from having to read them all I can tell you that the Superchips tuner has claimed many Avalanche PCM's. Mine included. The tuner is a basic 1 tune for everyone tuner and unless they have revamped the whole unit, SUCKS...

Go Predator or Hypertech....

Back