• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GM-SIR1 adapter install

apollo

I have an '03 with Bose single CD radio with the band button but with no XM factory installed.

Are the XM antennae and power harnesses installed and can I use them just as if I had removed the factory XM unit as previously described above?

Where would one find the 'docked' and unused antennae, harnesses, etc.  Behind the glovebox? There appears to be a coaxial cable plugged into a unit just above the glovebox upper area...is that onstar related?

Any help will be appreciated!

Apollo,

To the best of my knowledge, you must have factory installed XM to use the GM-SIR1.

If you are a Sirius fan I'm sure you know there are lot's of other Sirius solutions but for sure the GM-SIR1 is definitely the most elegant solution.

Good Luck.

You should be able to install and use the SIR-GM1.

Here is what you need for compatibility: The SIR-GM1 is designed to be compatible with select headunits from 2003-2006 GM vehicles that operate on the Class-2 bus. In many cases, the tuner can replace the factory XM Satellite tuner. It is also compatible with some systems that support Satellite Radio operation, but did not come with a tuner from the factory. Compatible headunit types include CD only, CD + Cassette, and 6-CD changer headunits, as well as Touch Screen and Non-Touch Screen monitor headunits. The factory radios in the majority of the compatible vehicles must have a "BAND" button. In some cases, the radio must have a factory satellite connection (noted by an asterisk in the chart below). The SIR-GM1 is compatible with most additional factory audio accessories that might be included, such as Rear Seat Audio Control Center, Rear Seat Entertainment (DVD/Monitor) System, Heads-up Display, and Steering Wheel controls.

Here is the link for that description: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dM4Z1D...sp?g=258950&tab=detailed_info&i=607SIRGM1#Tab

I would be willing to bet that you do not have a factory XM antennae since you do not have the XM tuner from the factory.  However if you will look through this topic http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,70839.0.html there are pictures and description for the install procedure in a '04 Sierra and '04 Avalanche that should give you an idea of what to look for behind the glove box.

If you do not have a factory XM antennae, the SIR-GM1 kit comes with a Sirius antennae that you would have to mount.  There are also pictures and descriptions in the above topic that will help with the Sirius antennae install.

Thanks for the imput...I will begin the disection this weekend and report my findings....

Sirius will be a nice addition to the AV.

Anyone know if there is a difference in the '07s that makes the SIR-GM1 incompatible with them, or is it just that the '07s are new enough that the Sirius site hasn't been updated to include them?  Specifically, I have an'07 with the CD/DVD head unit and RSE, and I'd like to find a better way to integrate my Sirius  subscription than through the modulator or front aux input.

The SIR-GM1 includes two wiring harnesses. One for if you have an XM tuner and one if you don't.

As per the manual and the various Sirius user forums that have tried it, the Sirius Tuner will not work with the 2007 Radios.

David

Since the radio setups have changed beginning the 07 line, sirius "may/might" be developing then cranking the new modules out soon. To this day im still keeping an eye out for them for when i buy my AV either in OCT or NOV  this year.

hookem59 said:
Anyone know if there is a difference in the '07s that makes the SIR-GM1 incompatible with them, or is it just that the '07s are new enough that the Sirius site hasn't been updated to include them?? Specifically, I have an'07 with the CD/DVD head unit and RSE, and I'd like to find a better way to integrate my Sirius? subscription than through the modulator or front aux input.

The SIR-GM1 is NOT compatible with '07's.  The SIR-GM1 is a serial data bus device but the '07's now use the GM LAN system.  Sirius has released the universal tuner, but they haven't come out with the vehicle compatibility side yet.

Back