• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM Roady XT in '02

Yellow87

Just finished reading dozens of posts here and I'm still confused. My basic question is; does the standard, single cd radio in my '02 have an aux input where I can plug in my xm roady xt? Also, my truck came with on* and has the short mast antenna on the roof. Can I use this antenna for xm reception instead of the antenna that came with the xm radio? I do not use the on* service. Everything I've read so far suggests I will get better performance by going thru an aux input vs modulation. I am a complete novice when it comes to radios,ect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2002 does not have a RCA type aux input.

you need to buy the PAC GM9 adapter (check my part number in older posts.)

this connects to back of head unit and has alittle box with some RCA input wires...

you then connect whatever to it and to hear the item connected you hit the Aux button on head unit and it will look like a Multi CD player is attached but sound comes out...

i did this long time ago and it still works great...

good luck

If I understand this correctly, the GM9 adapter connects the audio output from the xm receiver to the in-dash radio. I'm still unsure about the antenna connection to the xm receiver. Can I use the exhisting on-star antenna or do I have to use the antenna that came with the Roady XT?

Yellow87 said:
If I understand this correctly, the GM9 adapter connects the audio output from the xm receiver to the in-dash radio. I'm still unsure about the antenna connection to the xm receiver. Can I use the exhisting on-star antenna or do I have to use the antenna that came with the Roady XT?

Yes the GM 9 connects the AUDIO output from the Xm receiver into the STOCK HEAD UNIT
Will need cabling here...

you will need an XM antenna... that connects to the XM receiver...

Back