• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What is the small antenna for? and will it work for sirius

BiGBlAcKAv 03

:needhug: LOL what is the small antenna on the Av for? I want to add the factory nav will this antenna work for the Nav? How about Sirrius? Need answers lol Thanks
Adrian  :E:

The small black antenna on the roof is for OnStar and XM.  The Nav radios have a separate GPS antenna that is installed under the dash pad.

I don't know if the XM antenna can be used for Sirius, sorry.

Cheers,
Kent

xm ant wont work for sirius. but where does the nav antenna go exactly? can it also be bought elsewhere besides the dealer?

supraman23 said:
xm ant wont work for sirius. but where does the nav antenna go exactly? can it also be bought elsewhere besides the dealer?

If you want the antenna in the exact factory location, you have to remove the dash top.  But, you can access approximately the same location through the radio location.  Wrap the antenna in a little bubble wrap, and you can sneak it up to the dash top through the radio opening.  Others here report good results with this method.

You need the GM GPS antenna, but it's readily available on ebay usually for around $50.  The part number is #15201798

supraman23 said:
hell it wont. if the truck is equipted with factory xm all you have to do it put the new brain in the xms place, take the xm ant clip and remove the greenish yellow casing by pulling the little white lockpin out of the head and you will be left with just the metal xm ant plug. that will plug right into the sirius brain. I do it allllllll the time.

Back