• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Phone not available

jkocher

Hey everybody, new to the forum and need some help. Tried searching but could not locate an answer. I was fiddle finking with stuff in the truck and must have pushed something I should not have and now everytime I get in the truck I hear "phone not available" is there anyway to turn this off? Thanks in advance.

Ive had my truck for 4 months and havent used the phone yet but on the steering whel there is a symbol of a person "talking".....push that one and see what happens. Sorry if this was useless !! :D

What year truck?

problem with Onstar?

Does the truck have onstar though?

if you press one of the buttons for the phone thingy and do not pay for it.... it might do this?

Did you buy it used or new?

Sounds like the button is stuck in and it's trying to activate every time you start the truck... might try playing with it to see

jkocher said:
everytime I get in the truck I hear "phone not available"

Opening the door or putting the key in? ?Sounds like the button on the steering wheel is shorting out. ?Perhaps was pushed to hard and is still making contact with the sensor under the switch.

???

You need a vcim(comun. interface module), gm has had a huge run them as of late.....replaced tons...

paul_376 said:
Well that could be the problem

But I'm not trying to use onstar. It just starts talking when I get into the truck.

Bought the truck new.

jkocher said:
But I'm not trying to use onstar. It just starts talking when I get into the truck.

Bought the truck new.

Go to dealer and have them fix it...

KGT above gave good advise...

Hey I'm new to this but I need some information on this also. ?My phone quit working a couple of days ago. ? The red light came on and then later I tried to use my phone and got the message "phone not available" . ? Now it says that when I open the door and again after I turn the key. ? Also what is a vcim? Thanks.

Talked to dealer he says my VCI module needs replacing and will do it for only $395. 00.   The Av is only 28 mos. old with 59000 miles.   Is there help out there?

If you are not going to use Onstar then try pulling the fuse for it.  I think it is the fuse labled "Info" in the fuse box in the engine compartment. 

I know that when I installed my Diablo Tune I had to disable Onstar.  They had me pull the Radio, Radio Amp, and Info fuses.

Giver it a try.

Mine is an 05 too!

Thanks for the info. ? Got a question for you. ?Are you using your VCIM?? If not and it is still in working order and what would you want for it?

I have an '05 with this problem. I suppose I'm lucky that  it went 10 yrs before happening. Bought it new, never had OnStar. I'm wondering if any of the solutions offered worked for anyone?

Back