• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Blind Spotz Mirror

Rolando

Charter Member
SM 2009
SM 2003
Just picked up a Blind Spotz mirror from Pep Boys. It fits on our AVs with adhesive and is made by Steelhorse. Part number 8103.

It doesn't block the puddle lights underneath the mirror. The first attachment is a front view, the second is a bottom shot. Cost about $6.00 and each mirror is specifically made for left and right sides.

Only downside is that you won't be able to retract your mirrors safely (without possible breaking off Blind Spotz mirror).

From a safety prospective, my nephew and his little friends won't be able to sneak up on me any more. :) I could see down and to the left or right more because of my expanded visability.

[attachment deleted by admin larger then 100KB]

(y)I am glad you posted that pic on here Roarin
The ones i have seen around here are stuck on the mirror and that is where i was planning on putting them. On the mirror so it would work when you moved you mirrors. I can see your point if you close them it will hit. Looks like i will have to do without due to i have to close at least one to get in the garage. Or maybe i can find some that will mount on the mirror so i can still close them.
Is this specifically made for the AV/Tahoe/ or it is a generic????? fit all?
Thanks again, might have saved me 12 bucks

Hey Zeeya,

It's made specifically for:

* 99-On Chevy Full Size Pickup
* 00-On Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Denali

On the price it's 6 bucks for the set (left and right). As far as the retracting issue, I rarely if at all have to retract mine.

silversport said:
Good to know...Hey, I haven't gotten my new AV yet, they have the puddle lights??? ?I musta missed this... :B:

Yes they do. ?This is what the puddle light bulb looks like ...

AV_puddle_light.jpg

... I have been waiting for a chance to use that pic again. ?It's original POST was lost in the Chief's Time Machine ?;D

Thought about either neon or strobes. I took it out when I was looking for a colored replacement for it. Couldn't find any that fit perfectly so gave up for a while. Someone decided to use the colored rubbers for it. Haven't had time to revisit it.

goo929

LazKat said:
Hey Goo,

Any way to brighten that puddle light up a bit?

I couldn't find a bulb that fits perfectly. The dealer parts and service departments were clueless. They have to call their technical support contact to find out. They said if one of them went out they would have to replace the entire mirror. I hope he was kidding. When I find out the replacements bulbs, I will check what the max watts that the wiring can handle for you.

goo929

Thanks for the idea, RoarinRow. The Blind Spotz (p/n:8103) not only does the job but looks good too. Although you can't fold the mirrors in, you can still fold them out in a tight squeeze. A great mod, especially for only $6!

here is my blind spot mirror. i have one on each side. the pass side is piont down at the rear wheel so i can see the crub. i got these from camping world (http:\\campingworld.com). the mirror is real glass and is mounted to ball & socket joint. they are pretty easy to aim and dont more while driving. there is no drilling to install these. they clamp to the mirror housing. you can mount them anyplace there is kind of flat surface. you can see the clamp in the pic. i had to put a small piece of rubber under the mirror to get the angle right. i used a o-ring from tru-value. i think it cost about 15 cents. they cost 12.99 and are well worth the money. i had these on my dodge before my av and i loved them and i still love them. there is only one down side. the mirror will shake a little bit at speeds over 80. i found this out driving from co to wi. normaly i dont drive this fast so its no big deal from me.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptID=&subOf=43&skunum=17255

[attachment deleted by admin larger then 100KB]

I just aim my side mirros as far out as they go well practically.....

I sit in driving position...Aim the mirror so I see the rear most part of truck seated normally...then I move the mirror out some more so I have to lean forward a bit to see that same spot....I then do this to the other side...the rearview mirro I have adjusted so it cheats to the passenger side a bit.....

So when I am driving a quick glance in all the mirrors allows me to see any car hidden in the blind spots....if I want to see closer to my truck I just lean a bit forward.....My driver side mirror is almost all the way out when I am done adjusting....Try it....No one said you have to actually see the side of your truck when driving....but pretty close to it...

To test this when you get to a stop light look in mirrors to see what you can see next to you ..... you will be amazed at seeing everything on the sides of you using all three mirrors this way.

Just my Mardi Gras Doobloon worth of info >:D

I have the BlindSpotz mirrors that were referenced in the first post. Or at least I did, the passenger side fell off a while back and is lost. ???

My big problem with the BlindSpotz is the inability to fold the mirrors. The people at the car wash INSIST on folding the mirrors, and will really lean on them. They managed to force the driver mirror over it, and ended up breaking the frame of the aux mirror. The passenger side aux just gets driven into the paint. :8:

To get around this, I used velcro to attach them. I figured it would be easy enough to pull them off at the car wash. :0: Or at least that was the plan. The velcro halves stuck together better than the velcro stuck to the mirror. (even though I cleaned the surfaces very well) So, in the end, the passenger side is gone, and the driver side is dangling... :6:

I'm just going to take off the driver side, as it's not worth it anymore. :mad:

Nople said:
here is my blind spot mirror. i have one on each side.
Now this looks interesting. They're quite a bit more expensive than the BlindSpotz, but still a lot cheaper than hitting something that you can't see otherwise. I'll have to get me a pair. (y)

Nople: Would it be possible to mount them on the bottom of the mirror? It's flatter there, and being lower they shouldn't obstruct vision as much. Did you try them there?

-- SS

ygmn said:
I just aim my side mirros as far out as they go well practically.....
I also keep my mirrors out almost all the way (maybe not quite as far as you, just far enough so I don't see the side of the truck unless I lean forward an inch.)

Yes, it does significantly increase the view. However, when cars are alongside my rear wheels, I still see them in the BlindSpotz mirror before I see them in any of my mirrors.

At least I saw them there first when they were still attached...
(see my previous post :8: )​

-- SS

I just drive and hope everyone notices my behemoth and gets out of the way. Curbs are no problem, just ride over them. I've probably driven over other stuff and never even notices. But don't tell my insurance company...... ;D

-shapeshifter-

yes you can mount them on the bottom but you'll get a different view. these mirrors are also designed to see around a trailer. if you mount them on the underside it really limits the view to just the side of the truck. i found by mounting them ot the top you get a better view backwards and a better idea if you are going to clip bumpers with an other car. if you haul a trail and have the mirrors on top its very easy to angle the mirror up a little and right next to the trailer. i dont do much trailering but it could be useful. i'm also looking at mouting a set of blinkers under my mirrors.

i have only see these at campin world. if you live near a store i would check them out. they also have a great return policy so if you dont like them you and send them back. i picked mine up at the denver store. i had to take one mirror back cuz the ball & socket was so tight i couldnt move the glass (even after lubing). they were great and did an exchange with no questions.

there is one other thing to keep in mind. i lived in wisconsin before colorado and they use a lot of salt on the road there (wisconsin). the glass is held in by a screw thats located in the front to the housing. over 2 winters, in wisconsin, that screw rusted and i was unable to remove the mirror and i had to by new ones for my av. its not all that bad cuz the price came down over the 2 years.

Nople: I do some trailering. The trailer is just a bit narrower than the beast, so I don't really see it at all in the normal mirrors. Being able to see the back corner of the trailer during a lane change would be nice. :)

Pity about the mirrors not working as well on the bottom. Appearancewise I would think they would look better there. But if they don't work as well...

There is a Camping World about 15 miles North of me. Guess I'll have to take a trip.

Here in Buffalo, they use a lot of salt. All winter long my truck is a whiteish grey. :mad: It doesn't matter how often I wash it! I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that screw.

Thank's for the info! (y)

-- SS

:0: Wait a minute... In the next week or so I'm heading up to the local Air Reserve base for work. Camping World is right on the way... Definitely gotta stop in!

i know how you feel. this will be my first winter in co and i have heard they dont use near the salt that wisc used. i hated the salt and how everything rusted.

my dad thought a little dab of silicon compound or outdoor coak (spelling) would take care of the issue. his idea was you could peal off the silicon and you would have a rust free screw. i was going to paint the head but that would just end up chipping and rusting.

Nople said:
my dad thought a little dab of silicon compound or outdoor coak (spelling) would take care of the issue. ?his idea was you could peal off the silicon and you would have a rust free screw. ?i was going to paint the head but that would just end up chipping and rusting.
How about replacing it with a stainless steel screw? :0:

-- SS

that was the first option but i couldnt find one. the one i did find was from a supplier and the jack@#$ wouldnt even sell me 2 :7:

Nople said:
here is my blind spot mirror. ...

Hercules mirrors! I thought I was the only in the US buying them.
Pep Boyz stocks them intermitantly, $13.

These are the best there is for car mirrors. For the Avalanche the flat mirror is large enough that I never found a position to mount it that added any real value.

Instead, what I ended up with resembles what the OP did. I cut the plastic housing off of a cheap rectangular stick-on mirror and stuck just the lense to the mirror arm. It's not as pretty and smaller than the purpose-built but its thin profile means the mirrors can be folded back.

That jury-rig job had me wondering why a wide-angle can't be built into the arm.

Just as ygmn and ShapeShifter said, I keep my mirrors all the way out and have never had a need for blind spot mirrors. ?My thought has always been that there should be very little overlap between all three mirrors. ?Where the drivers side mirror leaves off, the rear-view picks up. ?Where that drops off, the passenger side mirror picks up. ?You have a complete, maximized view behind you. ?In my opinion, the mirrors on the Av don't go out far enough.

The only mirrors I'd consider adding are some that show me my rear tires for backing into parking spots. ?If the Av had the Trailblazer mirrors it wouldn't be an issue. ?Those darn things aim downward when you put the truck in reverse. ?Totally cool.

Back